BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I was in a hit-and-run last night around 2am in Burnaby, just outside my condo. Basically some fuckard in a reversed into me at a good speed, t-boned my side, and took off cowardly. Result: deeply bruised lower leg; I am now walking with a limp. Buddy who was with me got the plate #. I am lucky, x-ray showed no damage to bone or ligaments, but I am in pain. I had full protective gear: Sidis, Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants and jacket, gloves, and of course helmet. There are tears in the pants. Definitely helped. Bike is scratched up, not sure if any other damage to it.

Get this, the paramedics told me I was the 5th rider down yesterday! Yesterday the moon was aligned with some bad luck star or something.

Ride safe guys and wear gear ALWAYS! Now I have to deal with ICBC....

·
Devil's Advocate
1,765 Posts
Good to hear you're ok, I think if the police track the guy down and there is some physical evidence then you have nothing to worry about. Even if there's little evidence they'll give the dude such a hard time at his front door that he'll spill the beans in a fit of rage and sell himself down the river.

·
Vindicated
3,419 Posts
Good on your buddy for getting the plate number, nail his POS ass. :thumbup

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Hopefully the laws on this will change soon with minimum sentences for people who do hit and runs.

Right now people are rewarded for being drunk and running. They get home and have enough time to sober up before the police get to them. I think the proposed law would make this type of accident a criminal offense.

Glad to hear your doing mostly OK.

·
Ridin' Dirty
852 Posts
Go to a physiotherapist and ask for kinetic tape, will get rid of the bruises alot faster, it helped me big time!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys
i'll keep you guys posted re: icbc and the fuck who did this. but the cops told me they'll handle it...

does anyone have experience in this? can i civil him or it goes through icbc? this is preventing me from doing a lot of stuff.

·
Vindicated
3,419 Posts
ya let the cops take care of him.. but hopefully they keep you posted.

ICBC.. not worth small claims court etc.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
VanDave said:
Hopefully the laws on this will change soon with minimum sentences for people who do hit and runs.

Right now people are rewarded for being drunk and running. They get home and have enough time to sober up before the police get to them. I think the proposed law would make this type of accident a criminal offense.

Glad to hear your doing mostly OK.

You mean hit and run is not a crimial offence or did I misread something?

L

·
0 Posts
Damn man, hope your bike is not that badly damaged; get better soon too.

Some asshole reversed into my bike while I was parked at my friend's town-house complex. I am so lucky my bike didn't fall because apparently the arse moved my bike about 3 inches when you look at the skid marks from my side stand. Turng signal busted and the little light reflector near the calipers. Costed me 63 bucks to buy a new damn signal. Stupid coward who reversed into my bike! I am already a poor student paying for tuition and my bike. Anyways, heal quickly!

·
Vindicated
3,419 Posts
Yes, I'm pretty sure leaving the scene of an accident is a ciminal offense. How they actually DEAL with it is up to the wimpass courts.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
psyclone said:
You mean hit and run is not a crimial offence or did I misread something?
I am not sure whether it is currently a criminal offense or not. What I do know is that Randy White has been trying to change hit and run laws and Ottawa has been very slow to react.

I believe a situation like this would result in a jail sentence with a minimum amount of time that has to be served.

·
Fuelled by rice
4,458 Posts
definitely get all the scratches repaired b/c it will be at the drivers insurance expense.. Wait before you sign anything from ICBC in case you are sore from the impact.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i just found out the situation just got a lot worse. i cannot say more as this is an ongoing investigation.

the court system better not fail me....

1 - 20 of 69 Posts