BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
goin along university blvd at the speed limit. i see a dude in a white audi creepin out from the stop sign and he fully sees me (it seemed like he did)
he pulls out into the middle of the intersection at the last minute.
i cant go in front, theres another car in front of him. i can't go behind because there isnt enough time the turn would be too sharp and id go onto the side walk and hurt some innocent pedestrians. so i try to put on the brakes but its not gunna work so i dump the bike and kick it away from me. using my legs to prevent myself from going under the car.
broken calvicle, bruised lung, and mega soreness all over. lucky not much road rash. a forearm full maybe. and well the bike. i just got home from the hospital an hour ago the accident report says 6gz worth of damage. the bike is at the tow yard.
and a cop who wasnt even present at the time gave me a ticket for driving without due consideration.
the guy claims he was creeping out to check and i just dumped it. no reason.
wtf mahn. load of bs.
the minutes before you think you might lose your life are the clearest.then you realize your alive and you pass out.

·
Experienced Newbie
59 Posts
Its good to hear you came out of it with your health, heal up.
Which part of University Blvd did you go down on, and what time/date?

I saw someone hit by a car on University Blvd and Acadia Road on Thursday Oct 5th. Was that you? I didn't see a motorbike, i did see a bike against a pole, so i thought it was a bicyclist.

If it wasn't you, You can definitely refer to that when fighting the ticket if you went down at the same spot, because there might be something wrong with visibility or something. (I have personally never driven/riden down university blvd, always use marine entrance.)

Best of Luck.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Good to hear your ok, relatively. Too bad about the bike and the ticket. Next time don't dump the bike. Never dump the bike.

·
personal gynecologist
22 Posts
hey man....sorry 2 hear about the bail. it always sux ass after an accident that "the man" gives u a ticket. 2 me it's more like a kick in the balls when ur already down. saw my buddy get in2 an accident, and while laying in the hospital bed 5-0 gives him a ticket (he came out with only a fractured finger). stupid thing about these accidents are u aren't doing anything stupid and don't even deserve it.

·
Swivel on it
11,659 Posts
How can that ticket stand up? Should be easy to fight. Good luck and get well soon !! :)

·
Registered Abuser
1,017 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. Hope you heal up fast and get back in the saddle before the season ends.

Just one question: how in hell did the cop determine that the driver is the true word on what happened??? I'd go back as soon as you are able and take a close look at where you were, where the Audi was, and where the other cars were.

As a bit of fodder, the MVA states that a vehicle must not enter an intersection until it is safe to do so. Once the foremost part of the vehicle crosses rearmost edge of the white line, or the section of raodway where there would be a line, it is considered to be in the intersection.

Regardless of visibility, it is the sole responsibility of the driver to ensure that the intersection is clear and safe to enter.

Good luck.

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Good to hear your ok, relatively. Too bad about the bike and the ticket. Next time don't dump the bike. Never dump the bike.

:( On topic... Sorry to hear about your mishap but truly glad to know you're okay. And, although it sounds like the driver and police officer have made up their minds to not use their eyes, at ICBC your truth might still win-out. (Don't flame me please.... :)). Simply: it'll still be hard for the driver to explain why you would drop your bike for no apparent reason other than if forced.

:cool For now, get well. Next week, just be nice to the folks at ICBC and see where that goes. In the meantime, try not to stress-out about it (hard to do, I know). If it helps, we've -mostly- all been in your predicament, know how you're feelin'... and glad you're okay (mostly). ;)

:drinkbeer

·
Insultant
2,115 Posts
I guess those 8 offenses caught up to you, eh?

Karma's a bitch.

Considering your track record, you're going to need more than luck to pin this one on the Audi driver.

·
Banned
2,578 Posts

Karma's a bitch.
:cool Um, if you're talkin' to me, there were only 6 offenses, not 8. And my ticket was for only 1 of them. ;) And I got nailed on THAT one only because the officer was on the same sidewalk I was using at the time when he saw the preceding 5 offenses. :D

Good to be clear on things...
:coffee

PS: Oops, I just noted your 'Audi Driver' comment. Guess you weren't addressing me. *cough* Nnnnnevermind.
:noevil

·
Registered Abuser
1,017 Posts
Btw, you can use your riding experience along with any courses including BB and Track Daze you might have done to help demonstrate that you're not likely to go around dumping your bike for no good reason. You can also ask for the driver to list his experience that demonstrates his driving skills.

·
Vindicated
3,419 Posts

Karma's a bitch.

Considering your track record, you're going to need more than luck to pin this one on the Audi driver.
I was wondering how long it would be for this to come up. Oh how I'd love to read the pre-edit version.

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
if i didnt dump it. i would probably be in a wheelchair right now. and id rather be dead than be in a wheelchair.
uni blvd and western parkway oct 5th 6pm.
jus by cibc there right before university pharmacy.

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
its not about pinning anything on anyone. its about truth.
and right of fucking way.
no rider deserves to fall.

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
the worst part is if they dont find him at fault.
which according to rubber head's decription he is.
i dont have any collission so i have to eat it.

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bike. Get well soon man. I had a similar incident last Sunday, dump the bike or hit the car...you and I chose the same outcome.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Next time don't dump the bike. Never dump the bike.
I'm going to guess there are more than just a few who are agreeing with this unpopular advice.
Much better to be in a controlled "maximum braking," situation, and strike an incoming object (such as a vehicle violating your right of way) at a fraction of the speed of over-braking, dropping the motorcycle and now being an out of control sliding object.
Also, maximum braking allows for more opportunities of "escape," to make themselves available, such as a sequence of maximum braking, then an open area to steer to, such as an aware motorist swerving and giving you room.

"Laying it down," is a guaranteed crash, "evasion," by braking then swerving, or braking and staying on the motorcycle is a preferred method for injury avoidance. I'd rather center punch an Audi in the door at 20 kph than hit the ground at 60kph.

Of course, only Just It knows how close the vehicle was, how much room he had to evade, how fast he was going.......

I'm convinced the only time "laying it down," to avoid a crash is when the movie cameras are rolling, and a semi turns in front of you, and the rider manages to lay it down, swerve under the trailer, to emerge on the other side........

As an aside, I had an interesting conversation with and MD, also a rider, who crashed when he struck a cow in open range land. His advice was not to instinctively put out your hand/arm when falling, rather, grip the bars. His reasoning was the potential for wrist injury was too severe, whereas landing on your elbow/shoulder resulted in less serious injury. He decided the upper arm/shoulder injury was "better" (!) than a wrist/hand injury.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts