BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just came home from North Van about an hour ago, silver sportbike down on the 1st Ave off-ramp from Highway #1 eastbound. Looked like a 600RR, but hard to tell. Police had the off-ramp closed, no sign on the rider or ambulance. Hopefully the rider is ok.

·
Still defying gravity...
2,853 Posts
I came upon the scene in my car within a minute of the accident. 2 witnesses were at the scene - a male witness comforting the rider and a female witness on her phone to 911. The rider was motionless and unresponsive. I could hear the bike was still running, about 50' from the rider, so I ran over and turned the bike off.

The rider missed the turn (off ramp south of the the tunnel that goes to 1st Ave) and from the damage to the bike, looks like the bike hit the barrier very hard rear-first - rear wheel missing a couple of chunks and rear tire mangled, and the front of the bike looks OK except for some scrapes.

The rider was about 75' from the point of impact with the concrete barrier, and the bike another 50 ' down the road. I left when the fire department arrived - ambulance was nearly there.

Rider looked to be seriously injured, barely communicating and not moving - I hope he is OK. He was wearing a leather jacket and armoured pants. Fortunately, both witnesses stopped to help - this is not a case where people saw a rider hurt and kept on going.

I didn't see what happened, but I can repeat what the 2 witnesses said (and will say to police). The male witness said he was sliding off the bike & getting his knee near the ground "racer style" and the female witness said "you could not believe how fast he was going when he passed her" leading to the corner. I cannot pass judgement because I have done the same thing too often at that same corner,

I have picked up a lot of fallen riders at the track - it sure is different to see it on a public road.

Be careful out there, and I hope the rider is OK.

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the details...heal fast rider.

·
Vindicated
3,419 Posts
Hope the rider's ok. Heal up fast.

·
Gear whore
2,922 Posts
Guys, this is a friend of mine. His name is Adam. I spoke with his brother just this afternoon. His brother got a call from VGH and was told Adam was admitted there. Last I heard he was in stable condition but he did have some head injury.

Heal fast Adam.

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^ Keep is posted on Adam's condition.

·
Still defying gravity...
2,853 Posts
Kamui said:
Guys, this is a friend of mine. His name is Adam. I spoke with his brother just this afternoon. His brother got a call from VGH and was told Adam was admitted there. Last I heard he was in stable condition but he did have some head injury.

Heal fast Adam.
Glad to hear he is in stable condition - he took one hell of a hit today. By the tone of the voice of the fireman and their actions at the scene, it was very obvious they were very concerned about his condition. I hope Adam heals up with no long term injuries.

·
Mortgage Pimp
9,195 Posts
i saw that too.. silver RR.

Glad to hear he made it ok, looked like a fatality from the police presence... however the bike was up on the kickstand.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
here's to a speedy recovery glad to hear he's more or less ok

·
Gear whore
2,922 Posts
Hey guys, he is ok. His brother just gave me the details.

major concussion, fractured cheek bone (minor sinus bone, no surgery). bruised and scratched up. He's having trouble remembering anything due to his concussion. Hopefully tomorrow he'll be able to sort out thoughts and remember stuff.

Hopefully there's no lasting effects.

G

·
yes hopefully he makes a full recovery. Get well soon rider.
Lets hope now that the fuzz dont give him a hard time or any tickets/fines.
Someone said he was flying past them????????

1 - 20 of 29 Posts