BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
I like traffic cones :S
15,773 Posts
The hurt report is so out of date and not applicable.... on many sides of the information presented.
so what changed that makes it not applicable?

besides the date?

i know of one example of a "single vehicle crash" that would have been just that under ICBC stats... that was actually a car being in the oncoming lane causing a rider to decide on a course of action that resulted in a crash vs impact.

maybe you are old and not applicable?

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
The hurt report is so out of date and not applicable.... on many sides of the information presented.
I agree. Driver/rider training, braking ability, road engineering, driver distraction from mobile devices, quantity of traffic overall, these have all changes and could have an effect on the results.

·
Registered
18,858 Posts
so what changed that makes it not applicable?

besides the date?
Many things about motorcycling have changed since the HURT report was put out. The main thing being the advent of and mainstream popularity of motorcycle training and licensing.

You can't compare an era of motorcycling in which 40% of the riders in accidents weren't even wearing helmets, and the vast majority of them weren't wearing any eye protection.

·
I like traffic cones :S
15,773 Posts
How does that change who hits who?

It would change single vehicle stats... and survivability of crashes...but thats about it.

If anything, less riders ride with bees in their eyes and crash, pushing the numbers the other way.

Car drivers sure as shit didnt get better. Im surprised manufacturers are even allowed to produce vehicles with the kind of blind spots they do.

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
Dude, I'm missing your Point again..... So having more suv changes what?? To me other vehicles are the biggest source of danger on the road... Don't think that fact has changed in the last 40 years.
It is an "example" of how much has changed since that report came out.

It's not your fault you don't understand; you have no perspective. I however do have perspective.

Back then a motorcycle was shown to have a safety advantage in traffic because you could see over all the cars and anticipate approaching problems. That was hammered out to you in the how to ride manuals of the day.

That's no longer valid. So we can do one of two things now; dissect the Hurt report case by case and page by page and see what percentile is still valid or we can go to current stats and use those. What do you think is a smarter choice for the here and now?

And sidebar; don't put up any stats from the USA. Their population, regulation, and mindset might as well be from Venus.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts