Discussion Starter #1
SUV slams into biker, sending him to hospital
The Daily News (Kamloops)
Tuesday, February 28, 2006
Page: A3
Section: City & Region
Byline: Cam Fortems
Source: The Daily News

The first warm day of the year recorded the first motorcycle wreck when a motorist hit a rider Monday afternoon, dragging and pinning his bike against a storefront.

Witnesses said the driver of a black SUV travelling westbound on Victoria Street at Second Avenue was turning left when she struck the motorcyclist.

The rider was taken to hospital by paramedics. He was conscious and sitting up when emergency personnel arrived.

Terry Hallworth, who was standing on a streetcorner at the crash site, said the initial contact between the truck and motorcycle happened at low speed "but she (SUV driver) panicked and almost pinned him there."

The truck came to a stop against the Fulton & Co. building on the southwest corner. The Kawasaki dual-purpose bike was dragged and pinned beneath the truck.

Pam Shaw, a first-aid attendant who works at the Royal Bank across the road, rushed across the street to help the injured rider.

She said the rider's injuries did not appear to be life-threatening.

"He knew his wife," she said. "I phoned her for him."

Shaw and other witnesses expressed astonishment the rider wasn't badly hurt or dragged under the SUV. She also said the driver appeared to hit the throttle rather than the brake after initial impact.

"She didn't come to a quick stop," Shaw said of the elderly female driver. "To drive into the building like that -- it's quite possible."

A footpeg, trim pieces and shattered plastic from broken lenses were scattered across the sidewalk beneath the truck's path.

David Magnien was walking down Victoria Street when he heard the impact. He said the rider either took action to jump up after the initial impact or was lucky to land on the hood instead of beneath the truck.

"We had to get him out of the way of the gasoline. It was just pouring out of the bike."

The driver of the SUV did not appear to suffer injury. She calmly spoke to rescue personnel after the crash. Minutes earlier she sat nearby, cradling her head in her hands.

© 2006 The Daily News (Kamloops)

·
Been there, Wrecked that!
2,213 Posts
Down, but not out :thumbup Speedy recovery rider!

·
Tarded
810 Posts
Couldn't have said it better myself Crash Tested.

I have an idea who the rider might be so a phone call or two is defiantely in order.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thankfully the rider is (relatively) ok.

The thing that kills me... The gov't puts us through relatively vigorous testing to obtain our class 6, but they just keep renewing class 5's like they're nothing. I'm getting pissed off w/ this lately and am going to voice my concern to the proper people.

I don't want to jump to any conclusions, but my experience w/ elderly drivers has not been too good lately. 2 months ago I was parked in a full size white van when I felt a solid bump. So, I get out of the van to see an elderly lady, (I would say 75-?) in her little car backing up. She then puts it back into drive and rams into the back of the van for a second time, as I stand there in astonishment. She is honestly going for a third round when I run to her window yelling stop! She looks at me with this perplexed gaze. I tell her that she needs to change her angle of approach if she wants to fit in the parking stall NEXT to my big white van! She then drives off! Luckily, no damage to speak of on the company van. her front fender was caved tho...guess thats her problem. The moral of the story, better testing for elderly drivers.

·
Worst. Passenger. Ever.
943 Posts
Block8 said:
The thing that kills me... The gov't puts us through relatively vigorous testing to obtain our class 6, but they just keep renewing class 5's like they're nothing. I'm getting pissed off w/ this lately and am going to voice my concern to the proper people.
:laughing Class 6 testing is NOT vigorous. It's basic bike handling skills and basic road skills.

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
^ you think we have it bad with the blue hairs and the immigrant noobs, you havent been to Florida much lately.
Its just ridiculous from what I've seen and heard out of there.

Why is it that the older you get, the bigger the vehicle is? I mean, when youre 75, why do you need to pilot a lincon town car/land yacht?

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
REVELATIONS said:
...Why is it that the older you get, the bigger the vehicle is? I mean, when youre 75, why do you need to pilot a lincon town car/land yacht?
I think a lot of the older drivers have an idea that their senses aren't what they used to be and are simply looking to protect themselves more.

Unfortunately, at the same time, they are protecting everyone else less.

·
The Wizard
2,743 Posts
slam said:
I think a lot of the older drivers have an idea that their senses aren't what they used to be and are simply looking to protect themselves more.

Unfortunately, at the same time, they are protecting everyone else less.
My fiance's grand mother passed the eye exam but voluntarily gave up her license because she didn't feel she could see well enough.

No matter how old you are, you should take responsibility for yourself

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
^ I would agree, but I don't trust people to actually do that.
Legislating it makes sense to me.
I say mandatory retesting every 5 years.
Also a reassessment after any extreme health event (stroke, etc.)

·
I make grown adults cry!
344 Posts
My father-in-law is a ICBC Driver Examiner. The elderly are tested fairly regularly after age...65, I think.

That said, people need to remember that if you do not have a driver's license, it in no way stops you from driving a car. Look at how many people ride bikes without a class 6. Same with cars, if you take away a person's license, they'll just drive anyway.

You can't legislate problems away.

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
good point.

knew a guy from England that was here for a few years...
never did bother with getting his license.

scary.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Shit flows downhill, and as usual, all the poor old farts are in the old folks home at the bottom of the hill.....LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts