BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
nice article out of Road Runner magazine, which discusses the pros and cons of riding with others vs riding alone. as an oft-solo tourer, I found the author's points relevant and resonant.

http://www.roadrunner.travel/2015/12/04/touring-tip-traveling-solo/?utm_source=RoadRUNNER+Magazine+Monthly+Newsletter&utm_campaign=0e2f3d192b-December+2015++newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_4075d33a7f-0e2f3d192b-10658637&mc_cid=0e2f3d192b&mc_eid=3c12e58d6d

p.s. Road Runner is a mag I subscribe to, mainly to glean travel destination information. it's low key, 'family' rooted, and non technical, and over the years it has stimulated quite a few trip ideas for me... some of which I've done solo!

·
backslider
11,214 Posts
nice article out of Road Runner magazine, which discusses the pros and cons of riding with others vs riding alone. as an oft-solo tourer, I found the author's points relevant and resonant.

http://www.roadrunner.travel/2015/12/04/touring-tip-traveling-solo/?utm_source=RoadRUNNER+Magazine+Monthly+Newsletter&utm_campaign=0e2f3d192b-December+2015++newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_4075d33a7f-0e2f3d192b-10658637&mc_cid=0e2f3d192b&mc_eid=3c12e58d6d

p.s. Road Runner is a mag I subscribe to, mainly to glean travel destination information. it's low key, 'family' rooted, and non technical, and over the years it has stimulated quite a few trip ideas for me... some of which I've done solo!
Is a sporty solo ride though the mountain twisties called a 'fasterbation'?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Certainly resonates with me. In 45-plus years of riding I have probably ridden alone more than 90% of the time/distance. In that respect I believe that many sportbike riders share many of the character traits generally ascribed to (selfish, arrogant, self centered) fighter pilots.

And when I say "alone" I mean one bike, not necessarily just one person. While >90% of my riding has been one bike, I would think that the majority of that riding has been two up with my wife. And even that is selfish: that means I don't have to share the company of the best person in the whole world with anybody else: it is just the two of us.

And if you think that sounds sappy: well tough on you: I really do not give a sh... I mean I do not care.

See: I am selfish and self centered after all.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
We all know, when riding, that we are supposed to 'ride our own ride'.

I don't try to keep up with riders, riding above my comfort zone, and I do not follow riders going too slow for my taste.

When riding with a group it as more important to have set meeting places than it is to stick together on the road.

Riding is solo, even in a group.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We all know, when riding, that we are supposed to 'ride our own ride'.

I don't try to keep up with riders, riding above my comfort zone, and I do not follow riders going too slow for my taste.

When riding with a group it as more important to have set meeting places than it is to stick together on the road.

Riding is solo, even in a group.
this is all true! and yet... and yet...

we all get out on the road and we just HAVE to follow whoever is setting the pace out front, eh? ( well, we DON'T, but it's hard to resist.) that can end up very badly, but it can also be totally glorious - who can deny the pleasure of following a fast rider thru a twisty road, ducking and weaving, throwing the bike from turn to turn, feeling a combination of fear and exhilaration, having a bike on the road in front setting the pace but focusing on the road, not the bike, just 'carrying' it in our peripheral vision and a corner of our mind... at its best, following can get to be like a real-world video game, unworldly, detached from reality... flowing, swooping, gassing, braking, judging, doing... awesome!

I ride alone a lot, and I love it.

I follow a lot, and I love it.

( I don't lead very much, but from the occasions I've done so, I'd say that's a REALLY hard skill to master. I've only encountered I think maybe two riders who I think have it together enough to ride fast but to simultaneously 'see' what's happening to the group behind them and to adjust to that. that turns "all riding solo" into a true group ride... rare indeed!)

·
Registered
377 Posts
I find there are 2 types of group rides.....one that sets meet up points and everyone rides at their own pace or have fun chasing the lead bike.....and ...... the traditional group ride with a designated leader and a sweep with the group focus on riding in a group pattern......the latter being a little boring for me...

·
100% Asshole
3,390 Posts
I love riding alone...it's a great way to get lost and "find" yourself. Long hard rides let you know what you're made of.

·
Registered
18,851 Posts
The more I read the article, the more I really see why riding solo on trips really works for me. Granted there are other joys that come from group trips.. I think that you get something else out of those types of excursions. It's the comraderie in those instances.

A very good point about being aware when you are alone. I've been riding through California and thought to myself... the great equalizer is realizing that if you go off the road and down the ravine, nobody will find you for a long, long time...

·
Bus Driver
822 Posts
Interesting read. I rarely ride solo other than for short trips such as up and down Baker or for running errands. I did a solo day trip last summer and enjoyed it but still find the best situation is one or two very select riding partners to go with. Generally riders that are around your same skill set and pace and you enjoy having as company. Nothing beats carving some corners and then having a buddy to talk about how much fun it was with over lunch. I used to do a lot of group rides and met some great friends via this site but more often of late it turned into shit shows with either incompetent riders crashing or just chaos trying to keep people together and organized with some real asshats showing up. .

·
From N00bie to Wannabe
4,839 Posts
The more I read the article, the more I really see why riding solo on trips really works for me. Granted there are other joys that come from group trips.. I think that you get something else out of those types of excursions. It's the comradery in those instances.

A very good point about being aware when you are alone. I've been riding through California and thought to myself... the great equalizer is realizing that if you go off the road and down the ravine, nobody will find you for a long, long time...
That was my experience on the backroads of Southeast Australia! Fantastically twisty, beautifully paved, well forested secondary roads with virtually no traffic on them. It was the few weeks before their summer school break so no one had started their holidays. I was dragging pegs all day long but would often roll off a bit when reminding myself that I had only seen three vehicles that day; if I ever slipped off the road and was incapacitated; no one would know where to find me or be able to spot me from the roads edge!

·
Original Pirate Material
1,063 Posts
The more I read the article, the more I really see why riding solo on trips really works for me. Granted there are other joys that come from group trips.. I think that you get something else out of those types of excursions. It's the comraderie in those instances.

That was my experience on the backroads of Southeast Australia! Fantastically twisty, beautifully paved, well forested secondary roads with virtually no traffic on them. It was the few weeks before their summer school break so no one had started their holidays. I was dragging pegs all day long but would often roll off a bit when reminding myself that I had only seen three vehicles that day; if I ever slipped off the road and was incapacitated; no one would know where to find me or be able to spot me from the roads edge!
For these reasons, I'm looking into a spot or Delorme tracker AND a PRB. Relatively cheap insurance if you punt yourself into oblivion.

·
Registered Luser
2,112 Posts
For these reasons, I'm looking into a spot or Delorme tracker AND a PRB. Relatively cheap insurance if you punt yourself into oblivion.
^PLB, but correct choice on getting both imo. the delorme kills the spot on features for the communicator part of your plan. 'course it's treble? the price.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts