BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Poser Emeritus
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been some threads on animal strikes as of late and since we live in deer central perhaps a thread on animal avoidance is in order

The Rules as I see them

1. Any time any place is deer time - the road to Cypress, S2S, 0 Ave, Highway 99 2 kmsnorth of the Peace Arch, I-5 a few miles north Bellingham ( nice it was a dead doe) are all places I have seen deer in the last few weeks.

2. Riding at dawn or dusk is more dangerous and night riding is pushing the envelope

3. If you ride at night you must have extra lights to have a chance at stopping in tile and see the deer.

4. IF you see one deer more are with it

5. Deer are erratic blow your horn and aim at the deer you have a good chance of missing the stupid thing they bounce around when they evade.

6. A Moose or Elk will likely kill you if you hit it.

7. Do not ride alone at night if possible, on the Coquilhalla ride side by side in the two lanes with both high beams on.

8. Think about your speed at night most bikes with stock lights are outriding your headlights and therefore your reaction time

9. please add more tips

R

·
0 Posts
not much of a tip but a fun story.

coming out of UBC at night, theres this slow ass van infront of me, so me being the retard that i am i slip passed him on the right. (i know already retarded) so i get up to a good clip of 140 (also retarded) and I'm going along. all of a sudden i see 6 white dots appear infront of me. I'm all thinking "what the f*&^??!?!?!!" and before i can even give it another thought I'm upon three defensless little racoons. i slam on the brakes, lock up my back tire before it just comes off the ground and i'm riding on my front wheel at about 120 about to go over my handle bars, a van not more than 30 seconds behind me, and somehow luck prevails. two of the little guys are on my right, and the third is on my left, came screaming along right between the group on that one tire alone. it wasn't to long after i pulled over to see if i really had just s*#^ myself.

then i thought, how friggin cool would it have been to get all that on slow-mo camera from different angles.

at anyrate, new brakes, new brake lines (a lot more feedback), and some very bright HID lights

no more riding like a jack ass. thats a big help too.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
In a car, I was a predator of 2 and 4 wheeled animals.
Seems once a year I was knocking off a bird, or wild animal, despite my gyrations to avoid.
I've now learned to stop swerving for smaller animals, ducking for birds, and doing the "big lights, horn honking," thing in deer or larger animal, country.

I'll not soon forget GSP's (Brent) face, grimacing at me after I tagged some winged black thing riding northbound on I5, just south of Portland OR.
Finally, he tells me, "you have bird shit on your face."

·
Registered
565 Posts
Not only at night!

Sunday morning south of Sumas, a forest rat ran across in front of me after 5 (quite loud) bikes had already passed. Fortunately it was a straight section and I was able to get speed scrubbed off pretty quickly, and it bolted straight across without stopping. You have to be awake out there!

·
Ride Solo
4,214 Posts
Hwy 5A (Merrit-->Princeton) and Hwy 3 west of Princeton were thick with dear on Sunday afternoon.

I'm a big fan of brighter headlights/auxilliary lighting if one rides frequently at night, but it won't help you see *every* animal out there, so it's important not to get too cocky.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
GSP said:
Hwy 5A (Merrit-->Princeton) and Hwy 3 west of Princeton were thick with dear on Sunday afternoon.

I'm a big fan of brighter headlights/auxilliary lighting if one rides frequently at night, but it won't help you see *every* animal out there, so it's important not to get too cocky.
Tell me about it. I just came back from Yellowknife again, in the cage this time. I put a good set of 4 e-codes on the VW and I was still being surprised by the deer, elk, BISON, and moose popping out of the bush at right angles to me, out of the view of the headlights.

Got to see four animal collisions in a one hour period, three deer, one moose, then I called it quits for the night.

·
:) you'll live longer
1,112 Posts
I hit one and totalled my bike at 3:30pm on a tuesday afternoon in 2002. This was after a bit of a rain storm than ended around 3:00pm.

It can happen any time, anywhere (SFU) and the deer was a big boy!

·
WMRC Past Prez three time
2,580 Posts
I hit a Cougar once on my bike. Behind a local bar in the parking lot. Can't believe I kept it up and the bike never fell over from all the sudden moves. When it was all said and done I had to clean all the goo off the tank and seat...... Not a pretty sight!

·
Ya, whatever.
669 Posts
Cougars are wicked animals. Good to hear you could keep it up. Funny that you hit it, usually they will jump you from behind.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I was riding back from whiterock on 99 sunday night when a fucking coyotee ran across a packed highway 20 meters in front of me.... those suckers are fast, thank lord i was just a little too slow :)

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Vili said:
I was riding back from whiterock on 99 sunday night when a fucking coyotee ran across a packed highway 20 meters in front of me.... those suckers are fast...
Apparently not too fast... Beep, beep!! ;)

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
I hit a Cougar once too. She called me every day for 3 weeks after that....I dont even know how she got my #!!!

·
More filling!
486 Posts
bill said:
8. Think about your speed at night most bikes with stock lights are outriding your headlights and therefore your reaction time
I think it all boils down to this one. You should never be riding at a speed such that you cannot stop within your sight distance. Period. This is very very hard to do, I'll admit. Ask yourself, what is your personal acceptable level of risk? I believe that riding at night is much much more dangerous than riding during the day, not just because of animals. I've done plenty of it, and I've also come around a bend to find a buck standing in my lane looking at me. He just happened to not be standing on my line and I rode past him before I could even react at all. The thing is, two cages ahead of me had just navigated the same curve! :surrender

Keep in mind that if it's a small animal (relative to what you're riding/driving) you may be worse off going into the trees or the oncoming lane trying to avoid it than hitting the poor little thing.

·
Banned
569 Posts
If you could eat the animal in 2 meals, hit it if needed, don't crash missing it. If it's bigger that that avoid it- if u can.

I love cougars too.

" Fat chicks are like riding a moped, lots of fun, until your friends see you riding one!"

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
arcrz: AHAHHHAHAAHHAHAH

seymour mountain, keep urself away from the bushes.. if you do break, just be careful to do it intelligently and don't just slam on the rear break too hard.

I

·
0 Posts
bill said:
The Rules as I see them

1. Any time any place is deer time - the road to Cypress, S2S, 0 Ave, Highway 99 2 kmsnorth of the Peace Arch, I-5 a few miles north Bellingham ( nice it was a dead doe) are all places I have seen deer in the last few weeks.

2. Riding at dawn or dusk is more dangerous and night riding is pushing the envelope

3. If you ride at night you must have extra lights to have a chance at stopping in tile and see the deer.

4. IF you see one deer more are with it

5. Deer are erratic blow your horn and aim at the deer you have a good chance of missing the stupid thing they bounce around when they evade.

6. A Moose or Elk will likely kill you if you hit it.

7. Do not ride alone at night if possible, on the Coquilhalla ride side by side in the two lanes with both high beams on.

9. please add more tips
Sorry it was alittle hard to follow at times, bad grammer and all.
You might try riding stagered,that is the safest and proper way to ride.
"Blow your horn and aim at the deer" And if it don't move(and I've seen a couple do that horn blairing and all) you'll have to explain to ICBC why you "AIMED" your bike at it.

And I like deer, one donated it's life so I could get a new bike:rockon

·
Still defying gravity...
2,853 Posts
bill said:

Did this once on the Duffy in the middle of the night with a guy on a BMW GS. Amazing how 2 bikes with 4 lights each can light 'er up. The constant concentration is tiring though - near Pemby, we caught up to a car and follow him at a bit of a distance all the way to Whistler. BTW, no big critters on the road... but the headlights attract an absolutely amazing amount of bugs - yech!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts