BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Do you plan your routes ahead of your ride?

• Always! Doesn't everybody?

Votes: 29 18.0%
  • Yeah, but I don't really think about it.

Votes: 80 49.7%
  • No, it's not important.

Votes: 36 22.4%
  • No, I ride faster than I can think!

Votes: 16 9.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you ride, regardless if your destination is planned or not, do you pick a route and stick to it? In other words, would you take a busier route that you know well, or would you venture along an unfamiliar path that wasn't as busy.
Last year I made a really positive effort to plan my routes regardless of the destination to limit the chances of mistakes behind the bars, and allow me to focus on the road and my surroundings.
I'm curious what habbits you make an effort to do when you ride?

Ride Safe:lurking

·
One more time eh?
1,026 Posts
I usually find the best stuff when I'm totally lost. Makes travelling much more interesting to just check out random roads.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I really enjoy going off early in the morning and just exploring backroads where I've never been. I wonder if a GPS would be helpful with that sort of thing?

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
The vast majority of the time I plan my route. If it's in the Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley, I generally just take a general heading and use whatever road looks appealing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
SpideRider said:
The vast majority of the time I plan my route. If it's in the Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley, I generally just take a general heading and use whatever road looks appealing.

Ditto that
I do the exact same thing, I just pick roads that seem to headding in the general direction I am looking for.

·
Terror on the Terrafirma
74 Posts
I try to stay away from areas that have streets lined with stores... just the ones that carry higher speeds. Eg. Kingsway Metrotown area, Hastings in BBy, Broadway, some parts of 4th.
There's too much going on, too many people not paying attention, it's way too much for one riders brain to focus on everything and have to compensate for unattentive cagers, oh and I'm also too tempted to weave in and out of traffic.
Robson St. and places like that the traffic is sooo slow it's not a problem. Usually if theres a more direct route... hwy, 1st st, 12th etc, with less stores infront and less traffic lights then I'll take those routes cause it's faster and safer IMHO

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I enjoy getting lost as well. I find the best roads then.

·
Registered
969 Posts
haha I have to plan all my routes since I don't have an inkling on how to get anywhere :p I have no sense of direction so once I get lost.. I could be heading anywhere. I'm the only person I know who ended up on the highway to seattle after getting lost going from Burnaby to Burnaby :p

·
Registered
361 Posts
If I'm commuting to work/home or if a I have a destination I'm expected to reach at a certain time, I take the road I know the best.
However, if I have the whole day and no where to go, I follow Robert Frost; "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, being of sound mind, took the road less traveled, and that has made all the difference/"

·
Registered
205 Posts
planned route ... hmmmm .... nope just where ever my front tire points.isnt that the whole point in riding ..... to not have a destination and just get out and ride. i may plan a direction (north, south, east, west) actually skip the south ..LOL different story

As for saftey .... wear the gear, and carry a cell phone if you ride alone

·
Registered
622 Posts
I spend alot of time following roads from Destination Highways so much of my rides are planned.

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
If its a afternoon/evening hop, I will just go where the bike takes me.

If its an all day ride with a destination in mind, I will usually stick pretty close to the main roads, deviating if I have a map to follow with.

·
West Koots, I'm here....
3,226 Posts
If I'm commuting in the city, I usually sorta plan the most efficient route with the least traffic, but am always open to altering my path (read: rat racer). Sometimes if I'm just toodling around, I pick a general destination, but never quite know how I'm gonna get there, and sometimes I just head out without knowing where I'll end up.

·
Chronic
4,472 Posts
I sometimes just see where untravelled roads lead me, but if I am going far, I have a rough plan. I try and stop and see something cool, or spend a relaxing lunch checking something out. Other than a speeding ticket that is!
There's still a hundred things around here for me to see, and this summer I plan to cross a few off the list. BC Mining Museum is up there.

·
Been there, Wrecked that!
2,213 Posts
Left, always go left :p

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
If I'm riding solo, I'll stick to familiar routes and update my cell's vmail as I go along. I figur' if anything happens, ppl will know where to start looking for me. ;) I'll also fill my tank-bag w/ food, water & extra clothes... cuz whether or not I get lost, I rarely put a limit on exactly how far I'll ride or how long I'll be gone. If I'm riding with at least one other rider... I'll go anywhere. :)

In all cases, I carry a map. :cool In a worst case scenario, if I/we get lost and the map's of no use, they're great for playin' XX'sandOOs or starting a campfire ...til help comes. :rolleyes

I do recommend solo riders tell at least one person where you're going and when you'll be back.
:rider

·
More filling!
486 Posts
For me, one of the best parts of riding is that it makes exploring fun, regardless of what you do or don't discover! It makes exploring that little road you've always wondered about but never bothered to travel enjoyable in itself, even when it turns out to be a dead end. I would think it totally sad and depressing to only stick to a carefully choreographed route.

That said, I'm way more of a creature of habit than I like to admit, and do often follow similar routes, but not really by design.

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
:devillook For those known to make very sudden unplanned detours, sometimes requiring long knaps before you're able return to the beaten path :rolleyes ...I highly recommend carrying a detailed hiking map, the ones noting old donkey trails, paved hiking routes and such. :cool And a sleeping bag if the local popo are especially interested in your decision to suddenly go off-roading.

:rider

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's not the destination, it's all about the jouney.

I generally plan out a route and destinatioon ahead of time and then change the route as I go along. Hell, it took me three trips before I found the right road to Mt. Baker but I found a lot of interesing sites on each of those trips.

Maybe a GPS would help for when you absolutely have to get there.:surrender

1 - 20 of 26 Posts