BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
I'm Napping.
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Kids
I'm heading to Oahu/Honolulu next month and was curious to know if anyone has some good ideas for creative rides on the island. We are renting bikes...are there any secret places?

Thanks!

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
I can tell you all about great riding in Maui if you hit that island. I'm even going to be in Maui next month and would be happy to go riding.

·
I'm Napping.
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No.....I'll only be on the one island. :( I am only there for five days and I've never been there before, so I imagine I'll be staying in one place. I have found lots for riding and bike rentals on Maui but not Oahu.

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Riding in Maui's probably better. You've got more options. I don't really know about the other islands.
Riding in Maui is fantastic. For such a small island, the options for tasty roads is incredible. The destinations are remarkable.

Anyone jonesing for a mid winter vacation where motorcycles can be a main event should look at Maui. You can rent a quality motorcycle for about $70 per day, as long as you don't mind cruisers.

·
565 Posts
There are sportbikes for rent in Waikiki as well as cruisers and scooters.

Your best bet is to just get outta Waikiki. Take the coastal roads and explore for the day. You might want to bring a bandana for your head, the rental hemets (though optionional..yikes!) can be a tad funky. A bandana barrier between your clean head and the funky helmet might, at least, make you feel better about wearing it.

·
I'm Napping.
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you thank you! I've never been to Hawaii and this is also my first year riding so combining the two is very exciting!

Re: helmet. I would love to bring my own but to save $3 on aircanada.ca I selected "No Checked Baggage" duh :( I might not have room to bring my gear!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I am so jelous like, this cold is making my bollocks hide.

Oahu has lotsa popo so dont think about speeding. The island is all nicely paved. Roads over the mountians seem to be something to try on the motormocycle.

Seriouslly, popo there are worse than rcmp at ticketing.

·
Polish Princess
55 Posts
HEY :).. i am going to honolulu the first week of January... my boyfriend and i are renting bikes too... i found tonnes of rental places... and some that even give you the gear in the rental price. apparently there are tonnes of great places to ride and fun twisty roads.

·
565 Posts
Re: helmet. I would love to bring my own but to save $3 on aircanada.ca I selected "No Checked Baggage" duh :( I might not have room to bring my gear!
Really, they are givng the option of nt checking bags to save $3 ?

I was with them and Canadi>n for 17 years and this wasn't the case up until last March. You always had a free allowance of two pieces fo checked baggage up to 50 lbs each (check aircanada.com for the dimensions). For "overweight" bags 51lbs to 70 lbs you pay an exess weight fee. 71lbs and over has to go as Cargo.

Call them and see if you can add checked bags option to your itinerary.

·
streets belong 2 us
1,850 Posts
ditto on maui and staying out of waikiki.. if you are on oahu there is a nice road that goes east around the island to the north side.. not terribly exciting but the scenery makes up for it. as mentioned above maui is the best.. going north past lahaina or south-east to hana (ideal). but stay away from travelling to hana via kihei (from south-west) because it turns into dirt road. you'll want to approach from north of haleakala heading east

and be REALLY careful.. hawaiian drivers are retards. several times i have come to a stop at a red light there only to have a local swerve past me on the shoulder and go through the light. etc

regarding the checked baggage thing.. i mistakenly clicked that bs too.. and there is NOTHING you can do to change your ticket. you will be charged 50 dollars per direction for anything you can't carry on. i tried to talk to the customer service people several times and they wouldn't help.. the most effective method was to convince them that somehow their website screwed up.. after 15 mins i was passed to a "supervisor" who "wasn't supposed to" but offered to cancel the tickets so i could rebook. i imagine if you unchecked the baggage option you probably also unchecked the "no changes or cancellations" option? lol.. they can still do it.. just be nice

good luck and have fun.. and be careful on those islands.. they are beautiful.. but the local drivers are a nightmare. also a lot of tourists looking around not paying attention

·
I'm Napping.
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm heading out on the 12th of Jan and will post pics when I return. VERY excited!

Re: aircanada.ca. Yes, it is a new policy and I mistakenly checked it thinking I would only be bringing bikinis and sunblock. After some thought I realized that a helmet might come in handy too. Duh. :(

Thanks for the tip regarding the drivers.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I rode teh big island and on a harley for about 80 bucks total with no helmet and gloves. It was a memory I'll live with for a long time.

It's like your naked, you know better but noone is telling you to suit up . Great stuff! I believe you can get away with it in Hawaii only because no one is in a hurry.

Yah yah you can go fast and pass eveyone but... just ride and enjoy it all, I'll bet you can't take it all in without going 20km or 20 yrs living there.

Sometimes I feel I won't be retiring in Canada, and more in some kinda tropical place.

·
Why me?
875 Posts
Waikiki is a blast for riding around. Going around the Island will take the day if you stop at a few places like Hanamau Bay and the Aquarium on the North Shore. There is a temple as well on the North Shore worth looking at. Rent a cruiser to keep yourself "real," cause it's a little scarry to be rippin er up there. Plus it allows you to put stuff in the saddle bags, without a bungee and the sort. Kalakua(the main drag) has quite a few to rent. I've been there over a dozen times and it still rocks. I'm there at the end of January. The best part of scooters is getting a little ripped up and playing smashem's with each other. Not that I did that. I heard it from a friend who...

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm here in Maui, for 3 weeks.

The riding has been great!

The road to Hana has 617 turns in 37 miles.
Peg scraping corners.

150 miles, the other day.

A 24 hour rental for a Honda Shadow 750, is $69.00.
Insurance is $25.00, if you needed it.
$3500.00 deductable.
Harley's are $149.00.
Scooter's, $59.00

This trip should hold me til a get a bike back on the road.

Mark

1 - 20 of 38 Posts