Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I wanna Ride!!!!
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey

I recently received my learners and I am for sure going to attend a riding school this year.

I am located in North Vancouver and live about 8 minutes away from Cap college, which is where I go to school, and where they teach the Proride course.

But from looking around this site I see that most people attend and suggest Pacific.

I just want to attend the best available riding school around and I don't mind the 40 min drive to Surrey if it is indeed worth it over Proride.

So What I'm pretty much asking is, would it be worth it to go to Surrey to attend Pacific or should I just attend Proride? Any insight about this matter would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks...

-Ricco

·
Life is Good!
336 Posts
Go see Dat at Pacific..... nuff said, you will not regret it.

oh and one thing, watch out for the ambush :rockon

·
Member #899
2,611 Posts
Everyone will have a preference of what riding school to attend - it all depends upon which one you have gone through (if you haven't gone through all of the schools' programs, how would you compare?). I took my training through Randy who owns Cyclelogics in Pitt Meadows... he's the best in my opinion, but who do I have to compare it to? All I know is that all of his trained riders are safe & have had few, if any incidents since getting their Class 6 licence.

I have heard good things about Proride, so if I was you, I'd go there... it will save you the drive. Just glad that you're taking the course! :thumbup

·
Driving People Crazy
211 Posts
I did my training with Proride (Action had shut down for the season and I didn't want to wait until the spring. I would recommend them - my instructor had over 30 years of riding experience and genuinely wanted us to be safe riders. I passed my road test first time too!

·
Trapped in Nutella shell
185 Posts
Riccof19 said:
Hey

I recently received my learners and I am for sure going to attend a riding school this year.

I am located in North Vancouver and live about 8 minutes away from Cap college, which is where I go to school, and where they teach the Proride course.

But from looking around this site I see that most people attend and suggest Action, or now Pacific.

I just want to attend the best available riding school around and I don't mind the 40 min drive to Surrey if it is indeed worth it over Proride.

So What I'm pretty much asking is, would it be worth it to go to Surrey to attend Pacific or should I just attend Proride? Any insight about this matter would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks...

-Ricco

I chose Proride over the other ones because of the location. I don't regret it but let's be fair, you'd have to attend all of them to decide which one is the best.
I don't think anyone has done that so it's unlikely you'll get unbiased advice here.:laughing
Keep also in mind that what you learn is basically the same everywhere and so is the skill test.

·
I wanna Ride!!!!
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey thanks for all of the responses..

I was just woundering if any of you guys know if Pacific offers the use of their bikes and gear for your road test??

Because what I've read about Proride is that they provide the use of their bikes and gear on the final road test and just wanted to know if Pacific does the same. Thanks....

-Ricco

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Riccof19 said:
Hey thanks for all of the responses..

I was just woundering if any of you guys know if Pacific offers the use of their bikes and gear for your road test??

Because what I've read about Proride is that they provide the use of their bikes and gear on the final road test and just wanted to know if Pacific does the same. Thanks....

-Ricco
Yes they do as do most schools.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I took BCSC, thought it was great but too many instructors to get consistency (my friends learned different tips than I did). But that's just the frosting, the cake is solid.

If you don't mind paying more, take all three!

·
1,000 Posts
haha i loved dats drill sergeant method, it really makes learning alot easier and funner if you give it a theme. he doesnt make you do anything that he doesnt think youll be capable of handling, but he pushes you, what more could you ask for. he has clever analogies for everything too, to help put things into perspective for those who might not fully understand. my face seriously hurt from laughing so damn much after each day of that course. hands down my best experience in a learning facility of any kind. Keep it up PRS.

·
mike was taken
530 Posts
I wouldn't worry about having to drive far for lessons, you'll only be doing the drive 4 or 5 times. PRS is a really good choice, originally I wanted to learn on my own with some help from a friend, after going to PRS I now have an idea on what I would have been missing out on, and it would have been a scary amount.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Nutella said:
Keep also in mind that what you learn is basically the same everywhere
I don't think that's true.
I imagine there are some schools out there that just teach you what you need to pass the test, same as with alot of driving schools.
From personal experience so far, PRS gives you the skills to survive on the road.
I've taken the MST once prior to any training, thought i'd give it a shot.
Made a couple stupid mistakes and failed, but overall, I was surprised by how easy the test was.
Looking forward to the road rides.. I've been surprised so far how much more there has actually been to learn, and luckily I never got into an emergency situation before going to PRS, as I probally wouldn't have made the right choices.
PRS Rocks. :rockon

Ryan

·
retired panda racer...~_~
740 Posts
I was living in a similiar are when i went to motorcycle school... and i commuted out to class way out to surrey... but it wasn't that bad of a commute... because just think about it... you're going to motorcycle school! :thumbup soon enough you'd be able to make the commute out there on your bike =)

but i would personally reccomend DAT!
i'm sure other schools and other instructors are decent...
but from my own personal experience and from discussions with people who had different instructors or schools...
i'd still reccomend Dat (http://pacificmoto.com/) hands down!

·
I wanna Ride!!!!
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just wanted to say thanks to all the replies they were very helpful.. Just signed up for Pacific and will be attending the May 1 group.. Thanks again

-Ricco

·
I wanna Ride!!!!
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I didn't choose pacific over action just because they sponsor this site or anything like that. When I was first looking into a course for myself I just generally asked people which one the suggested and most people suggested that I ride with Dat. I'm not saying that I think he is better than Chris Daigle at Action, I personally wouldn't know. But I just went with the information that I had at the present time, which made me go with Dat.

·
retired panda racer...~_~
740 Posts
it doesn't matter who's a sponsor
Action has always been a great school
but we think PRS will also be a great school
A LOT of us here probably went to Action and had great experiences
but some of us here, like myself, preferred Dat's methods which is why we'd promote/reccomend PRS... but of course that doesn't mean Action isn't still good too!

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Antares said:
Just to be clear, you DO realize that Chris and Dat used to run Action together, and have only recently started up their own separate schools? So really, both PRS and the current Action have exactly the same history and very similar teaching methods - one just happens to have a flashier new package and ad campaign.

If 25 years of experience running a riding school and teaching isn't a good enough selling point for you, what swayed your opinion? Just curious.
Cuz it was free? :jk

Seriously though this has been brought up over and over. You cannot expect every single person to like the way one person teaches. It's just not possible. Different personalities sometimes just will not mesh. Both will have their pluses and their minuses and these will be different for everyone. That's why choice is such a nice thing. Pro-ride, Action, PRS, BCSC, Vtwin, Cyclelogics, Sunday (have I missed any?) will all cater to a different crowd. Please do not say (insert school name) is the best until you have something to compare it to. Nothing is worse than an ignorant fanboy. Whatever course you take just remember that the course is not the end all be all. You should never stop learning or think that because you took a course you know all.
Bikerchick, good for you to not mudsling on the net. If someone wants to know what happened to you, well, that's what a PM is for.

Good luck no matter what course you take.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.