BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my license and I'm planning to buy a bike within a month...just wondering if anyone goes to SFU and rides to their classes during the fall semester...it would definitely save a lot of gas money, but you'll have limited packing and not really any carpooling...

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I rode the spring semester 2001 ~ it used to get pretty cold, but buy the reserved parking in the WMX for $33 approx.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
33 bucks? I think the rates have changed, that sounds a little cheap. They've started to charge for the C-lot parking passes when in the past it was free with a B-lot pass.

I love riding to school. We even tried getting an SFU Rider's group, but nothing much happened cuz this site and VROMBC was where all the traffic was.

Check you PM

S

·
0 Posts
Yup, I ride up now and will be for the first part of next (fall) semester at least. You capacity is limited, but I mean...when do you actually need to bring ALL your binders and textbooks anyway?

·
Back to the OG
228 Posts
I still have to follow-up, but Kathy Ulmer (parking manager) has agreed to add more motorcycle parking spaces in the WMX (undercover) as well as reduce parking rates. The cost is as yet undetermined. I'm also hoping to get lower hourly rates for us. send me an email at [email protected] and I'll include you on the email list for any developments.

As for riding up the hill, it's the only way to go - much faster in the morning, and much cheaper than taking a car. The only advice i have is install some heated grips for the cold mornings. I rode into the begining of december, but on a few ocassions the elevation change presented some snow to ride through... that's when you know it's time to call it quits!

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
Yup, I'll be riding up there in September too...

We should get an SFU-only ride together at some point this season.

·
BST Prospect
249 Posts
the last time i checked WMX MC passes were $48 for the semester.... the C-lot gravel pass was still free with your B-lot pass but i woulldn't want to park there.... i've seen it pretty crowded with scooters and bikes that look like they're not cared for especially if it gets knocked over..... a little bit risque if you ask me..... the few times i rode up, i just parked in the visitors lot.... i couldn't ride upp there for a full semester to make the WMX pass worth it for me.....

·
Registered
465 Posts
I always want to take my bike up to SFU for class but never end up taking school when I have or insure my bikes =) haha.

Just throw it in the Westmall. Its the safest place.

·
:) you'll live longer
1,112 Posts
I'm an SFU'er too. I've rode my bike up there since beinging of april this year because of the the late snow days, but the tricky thing is if at the intersection with the SIMON FRASER UNIVERISTY sign, you go east instead of the bumpy north way, it's a lot smoother road, but it stays damp and wet in the mornings as it curves around.

I park in the C-lot and have never found it over crowed. This is the first semester they charged me for it ($22) even though i have to renew my b-lot. I have never had any problems with parking there except for a bit of wierd green dust/ pollen? I'm a KIN student too, so WMX would be further for me than the C-lot. I also have a locker. everything fits except the helmet.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Does anybody else ride to SFU Harbour Centre? I park in the underground parking that is supposedly for monthly paid parkers. There's section right near the loading bay where motorcycle's can park. I know the Harbour Centre Complex parking manager and he's got a bike so he doesn't usually harass the bikers. I've never gotten any tickets down there.

·
1,112 Posts
i've read somewhere (i think the vrom site) that for parking downtown, the BCIT campus on seymour has motorcycle parking... maybe this should be the start of a new thread for parking in downtown

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
hmmm...you could be onto something. Do you have to pay an arm and a leg for motorcycle parking at the Seymour brand of BCIT? I pass by it on the way to work and would find it quite convenient as an alternative

(even though I've gotten away with parking in HC's parking lot)

·
1,112 Posts
Sewman: the only times i've parked my bike in downtown were at the starbucks on thurlow and by the library to run in and grab a book. That's street parking though...

i'll start a new thread to see what ppl say cuz it'd be good to know.

·
Back to the OG
228 Posts
rockshoxbiker said:
I'm an SFU'er too. I also have a locker. everything fits except the helmet.
For what it's worth, a friend of mine and myself looked into the possibility of wider lockers for the riding community, and if it weren't for lack of feedback, could have had some installed for us. We'd still have to rent them, but they would be big enough for helmets. It's my last semester at Sfu for a year (going on exchange) but keep it in mind if the need ever arises. Also if anyone's interested in picking up the torch, the "SFU Riders Association" could use some leadership. It really requires nothing to keep going, but offers political leverage if the need arises... a la more & cheaper parking or ? .

Oh yeah, it's unused this semester, but as an SFSS club, the "rider's association" is entitled to use of at least one locker in the "rotunda area" - lounge where people sleep or play cards between WMX and library area. The locker IS big enough for at least 2 helmets... was my only perk for starting the club. Let me know if anyone needs it. I'll post to members of [email protected]

·
ROAR!!!!!!
1,175 Posts
I'll be riding during the first 1/2 of the fall semester I guess.. (Sept-Oct) I used to park under the Library (shared a reserve spot with my sister so I guess it was worth the money) Didn't see many bikers during the previous semesters... I like the idea of an SFU ONLY ride. Meet other people, perhaps it might help some of us during our study period :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice...it's good to see a lot of riders from SFU. Definitely, before the fall semester starts, we all gotta organize a trip up...we'll startle the campus with a clan of sportbikes (...I guess, cruisers are welcome too...haha)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts