BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Road report: Princeton > Merritt > Spences Bridge

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  bacchus40 
#1 ·
The Bartender, blueflamegsxr, and I looped the above and back to Vancouver via Hope on Sunday - 750 kms. Hwy 7 to Hope was deserted. Probably the best time I've ever spent on the Hope- Princeton: nearly no traffic, altho the pavement - while clean and dry - is getting pretty choppy in places. Cold on the run up to Allison Pass; hot in the Interior. 5A north to Merritt dittos Hope Princeton. Hwy 8 to Spences Bridge was great - a very few fallen rocks, but otherwise not at all sandy or even dusty. Light traffic home down the canyon too. I imagine this will change with the long weekend, as people start to travel within BC more, but riding is pretty ideal right now. Many many bikes out, btw!

#2 ·
Good info, almost went that way after doing the Duffy on Sunday.

Duffy conditions: Early season, plenty of sand on the centerline and anywhere offline. (Plus all the way across the road on the way up going East, at one of the first "Trucks entering highway" signs, which added some tail wagging and excitement at 1xx km/h). Definitely need to stick to the traveled part of the road to avoid the sand.

Pavement was smooth enough, but I was on the Super Tenere, so that's relative. I didn't notice any really bad frost heaves, though the part right by the lake which they narrowed is a touch bumpy. They're putting a new bridge in right at Lillooet, replacing the 1 way with a 2 way bridge, but should be only minor delays.

The run down to Lytton was smooth and clean.

#4 ·
Definitely a fantastic start to my riding season. Thank you for leading Don. The lack of traffic has such a dramatic impact on the ride. Less stress from needing to pass slower traffic. More flow linking turn after turn together. Perhaps fewer relaxing moments taking in the scenery, but that can wait until i'm stuck in traffic. If the border does not open this summer, then i expect that becomes a common ride for me this year. Although maybe we shouldnt talk about how good it is, and just let everyone else stick to the Duffey. :)

#6 ·
Although maybe we shouldnt talk about how good it is, and just let everyone else stick to the Duffey. :)
I had a text from RubHerDown, who rode the Duffey on Sunday. "Much better condition since the spring rains washed off the sand. Still a strip of that in the middle..." " Traffic...light and passed without slowing." (which for RHD generally means close to going plaid!) Actually, that sounds about typical for May on the Duffey... And there's not as much auto traffic this year to help blow off the sand either. I'm in no rush...

#8 ·
I haven't been on Hwy 8, Merritt to Spences Bridge for five or so years and it was pretty scabby but reasonable for my FJR. A friend rode it a month or two ago and he said it was so bad that he turned around. Can you provide some more detail ? I'd like to take a run through there on my CBR.

#9 ·
It's fine. Not much resurfacing was done in the last few years but in general the road is holding up quite well. I would be more leery of the Merritt/Princeton road, specifically around 20-30km North of Princeton. A few tight/blind corners with very uneven pavement.

#10 ·
Thanks for the details. Now I can tell my friend that he's a woos. I'm going to give it a run; maybe next week. It's pretty much all day rides these days.

I've been on the Merritt - Princeton road twice in the last week and don't recall that bit of uneven pavement but almost all roads have some issues along the way.

#11 ·
rubherdown and I rode Duffey > Cache Crk ( lunch at Horstings; so good to have it back!) > Spences Bridge > Merritt > Princeton > home on Weds. no issues anywhere. light traffic. only enforcement was at the worksite at BOB (big orange bridge) north of Squamish. fast pace throughout - gotta love midweek! I wouldn't say there is any problem with Hwy 12 - it's not the Sea-to-Sky, but it never has been, and is in no worse shape than ever. no gravel in corners, which can be a problem in early season. there is little reason to complain about 5A to Princeton either. having steer the bike now and again is part of the fun...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.