BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
'04 R1 - You are mine!
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey again

I got another question for y'all...

Can you list some of the crucial "do's" and "don'ts" on a road test...to make sure that you pass it?

My girlfriend's test is coming up soon and although I've got a whole list of things in my head I am sure I am forgeting some.

Thanks!

·
Registered
166 Posts
don't go fast, or accelerate fast from a stop
n always, n i mean always shoulder check
i must've done at least 30 should checks in my 15min road test

·
Registered
193 Posts
they are mostly testing for your awareness on the road, so should check lots! and don't forget to turn off the signals after turning. the rest is pretty basic... follow road signs and posted limits (ride in pace with traffic, don't want to hold everyone up by going 50 when traffic is at 60, at least that's what they told me). i think school zone is in effect too.

D

·
0 Posts
remember to stop BEFORE the white line at an intersection. they may even expect you to signal a lane position change. you will be asked to do a u turn as well. make sure you pick a clear area to do it. they told me to do it behind a cube van near the crest of a hill and i refused because someone coming over the hill wouldn't be able to see me. i got bonus points for that one.

·
Registered
166 Posts
AlphaRed said:
they are mostly testing for your awareness on the road, so should check lots! and don't forget to turn off the signals after turning. the rest is pretty basic... follow road signs and posted limits (ride in pace with traffic, don't want to hold everyone up by going 50 when traffic is at 60, at least that's what they told me). i think school zone is in effect too.
i got demerits for ridding too fast, i was doing 60k in a 50zone:(
n this is on canada way:rolleyes

S

·
0 Posts
1.6se said:
don't go fast, or accelerate fast from a stop
n always, n i mean always shoulder check
i must've done at least 30 should checks in my 15min road test
Your road test was 15 min?! Where was this? mine was like 50 min.

Oh, here's one: Never cross a solid line (apparently many people fail because they merge on to the highway/major roadway too fast and cross the merging lane line before it becomes dotted.)

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
im sure those were mentioned but:

SHOULDERCHECKS! no matter what do shoulder check.

Ride with traffic. don't go spot on 50 when everyone is going 70. that's dangerous.

Following distance is important. - don't come too close

Watch out for school zones, and watch out for two school zones following each other. they like to do that.

cancel turn signals. i think you get like 5 seconds after the turn to cancel 'em..

that's all i can remember for now.

·
Registered
158 Posts
road test

If anyone is looking for an easy road test take it in Abbotsford!! They don't even make you leave the parking lot. All you do is drive around it once while he stands there and watches you. I was done in four minutes!! They may have changed it now but it was still like that last year when I had friends take it there.:D

·
'04 R1 - You are mine!
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: road test

Duuk-Tsarith said:
If anyone is looking for an easy road test take it in Abbotsford!! They don't even make you leave the parking lot. All you do is drive around it once while he stands there and watches you. I was done in four minutes!! They may have changed it now but it was still like that last year when I had friends take it there.:D
Can you do that if you don't live there?

·
Registered
286 Posts
road test

No Im going for my ROad test soon too.. and they changed the way they do there road test.. they put a MIC in youre helmit and follow you around town and tell you where to go.. that suxs.. my buddies the dude who does the road tests out here... I was talking to him today... :thumbup

·
Registered
13 Posts
good tips!

I'm taking my road test soon too so thanks for all the awesome tips. A couple others that I've heard are to make sure you hand signal your turns as well. Also, if you're making a left turn move to the left of the lane; if you're making a right turn move to the right of the lane. And if you're going over a hill you should be in the center of the lane. Probably stuff you already do but it's good to keep it in mind.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yeah... I don't know if you've already taken your road test, but some of the information people are telling you is not true.

First off, I took motorcycle training at Action and they teach you how to do things right. The top reasons why people fail road tests are the following:

1) Not cancelling their turn signals (ICBC gives you 4 seconds after you fully complete the turn. If it's still on when there's a side street with a car coming towards you...automatic fail.)

2) Not shoulder checking (You must shoulder check to change lane position, before you complete turns, and look both left and right before entering or starting in an intersection)

3) Speed control (Do not stay with the flow of traffic if it's going faster than the posted speed limit, it's failing to obey a traffic sign. You must follow all speed limits and make sure you get up your speed fast whenever it changes because if you don't, then you're driving too slow for conditions.)

Also, you don't need to hand signal for turns, they do a pretrip check with the bike and then ask you if you know all the hand signals (left, right, stop).

Hope this helps and hope that she passes...I passed mine on Thursday in Surrey...

H

·
0 Posts
Here's my $0.02... a day or two before the road test, have a mock one for yourself. I think the test is more of a mindset than anything. If you get in the mindset that you are going to be the most safe and aware rider and stick to the book for just 45 min then it's a breeze. I think the problem is when people get nervous and start thinking too much. If you relaxe you are much more aware and prepared to react to the little things you usually never think about. This test is about the little details. People complain but I think if you can't manage to ride strictly by the book whether a car or a bike then you don't deserve to pass.

I'm sure you'll all do fine...most of the testers are really cool.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts