BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on riding from Nanaimo BC to Washougal Washington & to Oregon for the MX national July 26. I was thinking of taking the ferry to port Angeles then the 101 to Astoria then to Portland. Stay there, then to the track. Any one know of a place to stay along the way & in Portland? Also the best roads or route to take. Thx Brian

·
Registered
542 Posts
The road that goes past mt St. Helens is awesome. It comes out east of vancouver wash, where there is lots of places to stay along the Columbia river

·
More throttle less brake
1,039 Posts
I think your referring to back side of mt st. Helens Randle to cougar fsr25 if you do go that way windy ridge is a must do fsr 99.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Is 25 and the road to Windy Ridge open now?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Checked out 99 & others on google maps. Looks like some great riding! What's the temp & weather usually like end of July?

·
Ride Solo
4,224 Posts
It will be hot... But the roads are heavily shaded so you will be fine.
And the shade can conceal some not-insignificant heaves/depressions in the pavement, so be careful. Still a great piece of road, though.

·
Green
2,290 Posts
Yes, the section between Randle and the 99 turn off is very "uneven"

Tons of frost heaves, sunken bits of road etc. Most are big enough to really upset the bike. But I love it. 99 and 25 down to cougar are nearly racetrack smooth save for a few spots.

On 99, once past the tree line, in the area destroyed by the eruption, be very aware of gravel, and small baseball sized rocks on the road. In a few spots the mountainside is constantly eroding. There is one praticular right hander that is always covered. But if you pick a good line you will be fine.

I actually like to go Randle--> Windy Ridge. Windy Ridge--> Cougar. Cougar--> Carson. Then you are on the Columbia River, no more than 25 mins from Washogul.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I rode that road last July coming from Rainier through Randle to Cougar on to Mnt St St Helen's. I was passed by a guy and his girl on a big KTM right on the knarliest section of that road. Lol. He had shipped his bike from Switzerland to tour the West Coast. I stopped for h2o and they were also resting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Everyone is referring to the roads around mt St Helens. Which I defiantly want to do. What about the coast from Port Angeles, looks like it could be scenic

·
Registered
333 Posts
Everyone is referring to the roads around mt St Helens. Which I defiantly want to do. What about the coast from Port Angeles, looks like it could be scenic
The Olympic Peninsula is awesome. Not as technical as the St Helens roads referred to earlier, but very nice. If you have time, ride up Hurricane Ridge (Port Angeles). Well worth the detour.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts