BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Not the "International"..
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rubber Side Down (RDS) update: resloved.

Update: Josh (RDS) has shown sincerity in resolving the issue with me. He said that he did have the pants sent out by itself but unfortunately the rushed pants did not make it here on time. He felt sorry that I had to get another leather gear elsewhere.

He had apologized for the inconvenience and reassures that he stands behind of the quality his products. I've accepted his apology out of respect and are working towards resolution together. :cheers

I've tried on the pants today and there are some adjustments needed. Josh right away offered to make adjustments and further offered me the option to take another new pants (from another shipment) which will arrive in 10days~2weeks time. I took the offer for the other pants instead.

Sep 3rd, Friday

Bought new jacket (Hertiage), race boots (Mach 1 RDS), and ordered pants (Max Air) on July 30th at Rubber Side Down. Paid in full (didn’t get a store receipt, just a credit card slip) for all three items after a discussion specifically about the pants (Max Air) with knee sliders that NEEDS TO BE IN BEFORE Aug 28 for the Advanced Riding Course by PRS/WCSB.

I was told back then it is going to be in since there was plenty of time for it to be shipped from the manufacture (3-4 weeks). It is NOT a custom-made order, it just a size (with knee slider) that RDS didn’t have in the store at the time. Called on Tuesday (Aug 24) and was told that it has already being shipped and the pants would be in by Friday. However it didn’t happen. :surrender I’ve called RDS on Friday around noon to check and was told it is still in transit. So I had to scramble buy another leather riding pants elsewhere for the course on FRIDAY* afternoon – A DAY BEFORE the Practical Riding Sessions… :mad

What I don’t appreciate is the fact that RDS was trying to rationalize the order is NOT going to be in on time, since I made regular phone calls to RDS on a weekly basis to check on the ETA. I thought it was communicated clearly that I need the pants before Aug 28th.

(Especially on August 19th when I got a call from RDS asking me if I wanted solid or perforated pants!? :eek :eek I thought all this time the order has been placed properly and why am I being asked which one I need just a week before I need the pants? Better yet, got asked if I really need the knee slider. I immediately asked for a refund on the pants but was REFUSED by RDS for the reason it has been “ordered” and "it's coming".)

Now, on to the Mach 1 RDS Race boots I got on July 30th. I was told to tighten the 3-screws on each of the boots (shin area) after I get home. I found out one of the boot’s 3-screws DOSE NOT get tighten at all. Brought it back to RDS and was told “ah, it’s okay, it’s not necessary to screw them anyways”, where I was looking for a replacement boot.

The Heritage Leather Jacket I bought, there is a small crack at the back of the neck area. It is not noticeable until I took a closer look. I don’t know if I could get a warranty on it. I haven’t asked RDS yet since I was so worried about my pants.

I see a lot of members recommended RDS therefore I decided to buy my 1st leather riding gear over there. I guess my experience with Rubber Side Down is a one-off? Sigh… :surrender

* Just would like to note that Dat (PRS) directed me to Burnaby Kawasaki (I was in the area) for the leather pants & coincidentally Frosty drop me a note on the forum at the same time; as I was desperately looking for help while scrambling to get a proper riding pants on Friday afternoon! I went to Burnaby Kawasaki and walked out with an amazing 2 piece leather suit (on special!) with full body armour and got a pair of knee sliders :flashy after they heard my story.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I think he's struggling in the economic down turn. I bought my body armour there , he only had one. I asked if it had metal zippers "Oh yes" (I wouldn't have bought it if it didnt) days later I realize only the pull thing is metal the teeth are plastic *#**%$#*

·
Eyes set on the rubbarb
1,990 Posts
Bought new jacket (Hertiage), race boots (Mach 1 RDS), and ordered pants (Max Air) on July 30th at Rubber Side Down. Paid in full (didn’t get a store receipt, just a credit card slip) for all three items after a discussion specifically about the pants (Max Air) with knee sliders that NEEDS TO BE IN BEFORE Aug 28 for the Advanced Riding Course by PRS/WCSB.

I was told back then it is going to be in since there was plenty of time for it to be shipped from the manufacture (3-4 weeks). It is NOT a custom-made order, it just a size (with knee slider) that RDS didn’t have in the store at the time. Called on Tuesday (Aug 24) and was told that it has already being shipped and the pants would be in by Friday. However it didn’t happen. :surrender I’ve called RDS on Friday around noon to check and was told it is still in transit. So I had to scramble buy another leather riding pants elsewhere for the course on FRIDAY* afternoon – A DAY BEFORE the Practical Riding Sessions… :mad

What I don’t appreciate is the fact that RDS was trying to rationalize the order is NOT going to be in on time, since I made regular phone calls to RDS on a weekly basis to check on the ETA. I thought it was communicated clearly that I need the pants before Aug 28th.

(Especially on August 19th when I got a call from RDS asking me if I wanted solid or perforated pants!? :eek :eek I thought all this time the order has been placed properly and why am I being asked which one I need just a week before I need the pants? Better yet, got asked if I really need the knee slider. I immediately asked for a refund on the pants but was REFUSED by RDS for the reason it has been “ordered” and "it's coming".)

Now, on to the Mach 1 RDS Race boots I got on July 30th. I was told to tighten the 3-screws on each of the boots (shin area) after I get home. I found out one of the boot’s 3-screws DOSE NOT get tighten at all. Brought it back to RDS and was told “ah, it’s okay, it’s not necessary to screw them anyways”, where I was looking for a replacement boot.

The Heritage Leather Jacket I bought, there is a small crack at the back of the neck area. It is not noticeable until I took a closer look. I don’t know if I could get a warranty on it. I haven’t asked RDS yet since I was so worried about my pants.

I see a lot of members recommended RDS therefore I decided to buy my 1st leather riding gear over there. I guess my experience with Rubber Side Down is a one-off? Sigh… :surrender

* Just would like to note that Dat (PRS) directed me to Burnaby Kawasaki (I was in the area) for the leather pants & coincidentally Frosty drop me a note on the forum at the same time; as I was desperately looking for help while scrambling to get a proper riding pants on Friday afternoon! I went to Burnaby Kawasaki and walked out with an amazing 2 piece leather suit (on special!) with full body armour and got a pair of knee sliders :flashy after they heard my story.
I've never tried their boots, but I have their pants, jacket, and gloves.

I have to say I'm most impressed with the leather pants that I have. Very comfortable and perforated keeps me somewhat cool on trips, or warm depending on what I want at the moment.

The gloves have been great but I'm in need of replacement after over a year of ownership, 30,000km and lots of rain/abuse on my part.

The only issue I had with the jacket is the zippers broke but josh was good at getting that fixed up for me. Since then another zipper broke but it wasn't one of the replacement zippers. From waht I heard it was a bad batch of zippers from the manufacture.

Otherwise I'm happy with RSD. Josh is a great customer service guy so I'm sure you'll have no trouble sorting out your issues with him.

The initial sale says little about a company. It's the arise of a complaint from a customer in which a good company shines through.

·
LV2XLR8
29 Posts
When I got back into riding I stopped by for some gear. There was very little selection at the time as far as jackets and pants. My understanding is that Josh collects as many orders as possible from customers and then places them at once with his manufacturer in Pakistan. This is probably why your pants were delayed. I did not end up placing an order for a jacket because I'm not okay with paying for something like that without first trying it on and I was told that as a custom order I would not be eligible for a refund if it didnt fit correctly. I did end up buying a set of gauntlet gloves and was pleased except that the stitching on one thumb came apart at the tip. I didnt bother to contact Josh about it because his shop is far out of the way for me so I just fixed it myself.

On a side note, he is a nice guy and seems to care but may have bounced his lid off the ground a few too many times in his years of riding. He kept calling me for months after my visit asking if I was ready to place my order for the jacket, lol.

·
Clothing Optional
7 Posts
I bought a jacket and some pants from there this season and I'm very happy with my purchase. He threw in a pair of gloves too and so far everything is still in excellent condition. The pants I got are fantastic. As far as customer service, I didn't expect too much. The price was right and I wanted to support a local guy. The stealerships in this area are on meth with the prices they ask. I visit the US a lot and the difference in price is astounding. I sympathize with Triump. It appears as though he did everything right. It would be interesting to hear RSD's side of the story.

·
Registered
191 Posts
While other shops might have to charge you a little more, you get to leave with the products you've purchased.
I will keep this short and to the point. Please let's not open up a bashing thread here. I only need to give my side of the story.

The pants which were ordered were indeed custom sized pants. I quoted 4-5 weeks on delivery as I do with all custom gear. I was phoned five days before the class was to happen and told that they had to be in within four days as the class was on Saturday. I explained that a four days window is out of my control and that we were well within the time limit I gave. I will not go into detail about the customer expecting the pant on the exact DAY I approximated, but I took matters into my own hands and made a special order on my dime to my manufacturer to have one pair of pants sent over via DHL for my disappointed customer. It is not cheap to send ONE pair of pants across the world via private courier, but I did it. The actual cost to me was more than I paid for the pants themselves. The pant has now arrived and will be available for pickup probably tomorrow. I apologize I could not pin down the EXACT day within a four week period your pants would arrive. I don't think anyone short of a psychic could have done this. As far as any problems with the other gear, please bring it in if you have an issue and I will take care of it as I do with all my customers. Cheers

·
Super Moderator
23,562 Posts
Custom ordered or made items take time, and if you are in a rush, or require something for a drop dead date, that should be disclosed and agreed upon before the purchase.

The OP states that he "thought" it was communicated clearly....this is looks to be where there may have been a breakdown.

My experience has been that the more of a hurry you are in, the less likely the merchandise will arrive earlier than later.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I once ordered Josh's staff to take a pic of my crotch to show Josh when Josh gets back. :laughing

Any shops/suppliers, you need to talk to them and state your reasons for your grieve. There is always a tipping point so try to work it out with them. Sorry, I didn't read this whole thread but just to let you know my experience.

Back to my crotch, Josh is quite reasonable so I did work something out with him so none of us feel bad!

·
Back in the saddle, baby
976 Posts
I was very, very glad I was wearing RSD pants, jacket, and gloves when I had my little get-off in July... saved my leg, no doubt about it.

I've had no problems dealing with Josh, and he really helped me out with tracking down an invoice when I had to deal with the insurance company about covering my trashed gear.

I'll definitely be going back to RSD when I find a new bike!

·
Back in the saddle, baby
976 Posts
Alas, Kent, the gixxer is no more :( Inattentive driver (in a Toyota Corolla) killed her, and almost me!

Is the 929 for sale yet? ;)

·
Back in the saddle, baby
976 Posts
I'm healing about as well as I can, and it doesn't sound like there will be any permanent damage, thankfully.

I sure miss the bike, though...

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Alas, Kent, the gixxer is no more :( Inattentive driver (in a Toyota Corolla) killed her, and almost me!

Is the 929 for sale yet? ;)

You don't want a crappy 929. WHat you want is an amazing RC51! I'm such a nice guy, I'll sell you mine, and I'll buy Kent's 929. Kinda like falling on a sword or something. It's just my sacrifice for a former owner of a vintage Gixxer.

Oh, and to stay on topic for once, I bought some gloves from Josh a few years back. He was nice to deal with, and the gloves were fine.

·
Back in the saddle, baby
976 Posts
You don't want a crappy 929. WHat you want is an amazing RC51! I'm such a nice guy, I'll sell you mine, and I'll buy Kent's 929. Kinda like falling on a sword or something. It's just my sacrifice for a former owner of a vintage Gixxer.
Why, have you got a working one stashed away somewhere? :)

Was sorry to hear that your new mistress has a bad temper, dude. Nothing kills the buzz faster than mechanical gremlins... :eek

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Ahhhh dammit, you already know she has some ailments. haha.

I'm plugging away at the gremlins, 'tis really nothing too bad, just some time, and a couple bucks. She'll be golden in no time. I actually have no plans to sell her any time soon.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.