BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been thinking about getting a ruckus to save the km's from racking up on the F4i. But there seem to be NO used ones anywhere.

Does anyone know Why? Are these things just so great that no one wants to sell them? Or did honda only make 12 for the last 3 years, and none of them made it to canada?

Does anyone have one of these, and do you enjoy it?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
This is a common topic. The question you need to ask yourself is why did you buy the F4i. Did you buy it to enjoy riding it? Then ride it and to hell with the mileage. Why ride some POS just to protect some vague investment? And do you really think your lower mileage on the F4i and slight extra trade in value will make up for the cost and depreciation on the scooter and the cost of insurance for the scooter? Do the math first and I think you'll find that it's a very false sense of ecomony you're trying for.

If you want to get a second bike just for something different to ride then fine but don't do it because you think you're saving money.

For a great and fun second bike I strongly recomend a dual sport like my DR350. Great fun, cheap to insure and tough as nails. But it is costing more money by far than just insuring my other bike year round.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
The Ruckus would be a great idea...try for the larger diplacement one. They'd be great around town, and not a huge deal if you dropped it as they are kind of wierd looking to begin with.

·
I do all my own stunts
3,295 Posts
ruckas is crap, go 2 stroke or go home, ruckas is boring as fuck.

·
User And Abuser
3,912 Posts
I will second the Dual purpose idea. It will open up a whole new motorcycle experience for you, plus they are cheap on gas, and insurance etc. I would like to recommend the KLX 250, as its been an awesome bike for me so far.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
I should ad that my DR is older so I only got the basic coverage with the extra rider on liability to bring it to a $million liability. With my full discount it's only $310 for a full year. That's only $26 a month.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
tackle_me_2 said:
Are dual sports easy to maintain? I mean, do I have to learn a whole new set of things in order to do the easy maintenance myself?
Only one cylinder means only 1/4 of the work during a valve clearance check. And in the case of the older aircooled ones they are often screw style adjusters so there's no shims to worry about.

There's also more room to get your hands into the bits and pieces.

In general they are TONS easier to work on than a typical plastic clad sportbike. The only down side at all is that there's so little oil in most of them that you should be changing it every 1000 kms. But since it's only 1.7 liters in my case that's not so bad.

·
I'm new
2,075 Posts
usually i agree with teetee, most of the "shite" he said on this thread is great advice. But i dont agree about calling scooters POS.
The ruckus is one of the worst scooters out there for speed but probably the best one out for design. The bws is still a really good bet if you want to get into scootering.
But like teetee said, you will not save any money buy switching.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'd avoid 50cc Ruckus at Carter. Those things used to be rental bikes (right outside Carter too!), and they weren't treated very kindly by those who rent them. Scuff marks and scratches all over the place, and quite a few of them have been dropped as well.

Heck, I'd know cuz I used to be one of those renters! (but I never wiped out -- at least, I haven't done it yet.)

-Rick

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
OK, maybe POS was a bit strong....

In truth I actually meant it to be ANY alternative that is not really what the rider wants to be riding. Little did I realize that I would "wake the GURP Dragon".... :D

·
West Koots, I'm here....
3,226 Posts
In truth I actually meant it to be ANY alternative that is not really what the rider wants to be riding. Little did I realize that I would "wake the GURP Dragon"....
Don't mess with the "King of Scoots"!!! :devillook

·
Go big or Go Home
225 Posts
Aww.. the ruckus is sucha good looking scooter...too bad its not powerful.
You would probably be annoyed riding one after riding your f4i for so long.

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
I just don't understand why you're worrying about milage on your F4i so much that you want to buy a scooter. Jap bikes are like Bic lighters - they're supposed to be disposable.

The cost of the scooter alone would be more than your depreciation on your F4i.

Just doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Aah, the joy, the beauty of having a choice.
(much like me going to the Big 'n Tall shop for a size 48 Long suit, when i wear a 42 Regular....)
But hey, at least I've got a choice!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts