BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This topic came up with R1 GIRL on chat a second ago, so I thought I'd post it here.

Who has ran from a cop? I've done it twice, and I plan on doing it again. Why? Because I feel that sport bikes are specifically targetted for getting ticketted. I got a $173 ticket last year for doing 70 in a 50 zone. Ok, any 50 zone would've been fine, but I was on Mariner Way in Coquitlam. Those who know that road know that it was just paved, is 4 lanes wide, is in an industrial zone (no residencies or school zones around) and is just used as a cash cow for trapping "speeders". How are the cops keeping the streets safer by ticketting me on such a road?! Most accidents happen well below the speed limit and happen on intersections anyway.

That being said, there are some nice cops out there though. I was doing a wheelie on McGill when a cop came up to an intersection and saw me. He pulled me over and was giving me tips for how to keep the bike more stable in 2nd gear!! He gave me a ticket for "unsafe start" which is like $50.

my $0.02

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I ran from the cops 3 times, but in a car not on a bike,.. 2 of the times I got away,.. and the and the 1 time i got caught well lets just say very expensieve ie. LOTS OF TICKETS... as for running on a bike,.. well situation permittin i my try my luck.. but then again.. a lot easier to crash on a bike so maybe not..

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I won't run from cops.. it's just not worth it.

I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything... just stating my opinion and know some will disagree.

I don't understand how people say "Cops are targetting sportbikes". The pure and simple fact is, not matter what road it is, what the statistics are, the speed limit was 50, you were doing 70. Unfortunately you knowingly broke the law and it is an officers job to enforce the existing law.

I agree the speedlimits suck, especially in a few places, however for now they are there. Instead of getting angry with the police, lets focus our anger/energy getting the speedlimits that were designed for cars in the 60/70's changed.

Today's vehicles can handle better speeds, but the limits haven't changed.

I think getting upset with the police is wrong, lets get more vocel getting the limits raised, and getting better driver training to accomodate that.

Jim.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if i am guilty i am guilty. I knowingly and willlingly go over the limit or pull a wheelie in an area where there could be a cop, and if he sees me, i've lost the game. one point for the cops. No argument, no debate, i deserve the ticket. Not to say i won't smile and flirt if the cops a female, or try to talk bikes with a male cop, but i'm sure as heck not going to run.

I 've always wondered though, what i would do if i was in a group and the whole group took off......

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Let me first off say, this isn't the most appropriate place to post about your unlawful activities. We (the site) do not condone activities of this nature.

Saying that, you may also want to give thought as to who reads the site.

And I would have to agree with you, having come back from the states and being used to much higher speed limits overall, I'd like to see Canada raise it's limits in a lot areas where it's sorta of rediculous and police do in fact sit on it and patrol an area which people are known to speed because everyone realizes it's safe to do so.

I think our only fight would be with your MLA, I don't think running is the best way to do it - it all of a sudden may cause you to be 'frantic' and not react the way you normally would and cause a crash, or worse, hit someone else.

I'm all for fairness, but someone speeding away to not pay a fine (be it car, bike, what have you) and taking out a car filled with YOUR family is going to change the way you think about it.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Big Jim,

I used to think the same thing about it not being worth it to run from cops. Then a few years ago a cop pulled me over for excessive speeding on Hwy 3 (going through Manning Park) and he told me straight out that I should've just kept going he wouldn't have chased me. And yes I do have something against cops. They're usually very rude, have some sort of God complex and a holier-than-thou attitude. I've had cops pull me over just to look at my bike.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am with you guys that want to get speed limits raised - I will jump up and down and scream and yell at whoever needs to hear it - but will it happen.... Not likely when the government and municipalties are raking in such mad cash.
Bluestone, I used to think exactly the same thing as you did - then I was in a group and everyone else took off... so away I went. Not entirely sure if I would ever do it again (or tell everyone in a post:D) but you never know.................

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
OK, I have run once while in my old car--not even a run really. I was going the opposite way and while the cop was turning around I took my first right, then just kept making turns until I found a mall parking lot. Parked the car and got away from the car quickly. The cop pulled in the parking lot, stopped behind my car for a minute or two, then left.

On a bike, I would probably pull over. Having already been in one serious bike accident, I feel fairly vulnerable when riding fast, and trying to outrun a cop would not be a wise move for me. :)

·
ignorance + apathy
286 Posts
freshr1 said:
Big Jim,

I used to think the same thing about it not being worth it to run from cops. Then a few years ago a cop pulled me over for excessive speeding on Hwy 3 (going through Manning Park) and he told me straight out that I should've just kept going he wouldn't have chased me. And yes I do have something against cops. They're usually very rude, have some sort of God complex and a holier-than-thou attitude. I've had cops pull me over just to look at my bike.
I believe the cop was setting you up when telling you to keep going ... they WILL NOT let anybody go away that easy.

I totally agree with Big Jim ... It just doesn't worth to risk our lifes AND our bikes. :angel

One small slide costs us more than couple hundred bucks ... and if we got caught, the money needed to bail out, pay fine, court or lawyer etc. may be able to buy a new bike.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you're saying you feel that cops unfairly pick on portbikers, but this is the kind of crap a lot of sportbikers pull. a lot of cops out there have huge ego's and to lose a chase with one bike will just make him pull over another one and give him the 3rd degree. it's hurting all of us, not just saving you a couple of bucks. now, don't get me wrong, if I was speeding one way and a cop was coming the other way, I would probably speed up and take the next turn to get away, but if the lights are flashing and he's right on my tail, it's not worth it to get into a chase. many more cops than you think are willing to drive you off the road with their bumpers just to stop you for speeding. BS, I know, but it's a fact all the same.

I'm a huge advocate for raising the speed limit in some areas though, no way in hell should there still be an 80kmh area on the number 1. also, when conditions permit, the coquihalla should be close to 130kmh or more.

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
nope haven't ran from the cops before, I try to keep my hooligan stuff in a secluded area.....

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i wouldn't run from the cops, i would just take the ticket and DISPUTE it
I am definately with blitz on this one and here's why:

last winter i pulled my bike out of the garage (uninsured) and onto the cul-de-sac where my parents live in rural surrey to give it a clean before a potential buyer came to look at it...

a cop came by and started talking about the bike with me...as he was leaving he noticed i had no insurance and said he was forced to ticket me...$575!!!!

my court date came up last week and of course the cop didnt show.....some say this is an abuse of the system but theres no way i'm paying nearly $600 for not even riding my bike!:mad

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
also...have you guys ever seen a bike get away without crashing on one of those real cops shows??? never...it's not worth it to me as you have a good chance when disputing it

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
For me, running is not an option. My brother is in the recruiting stages of the RCMP and I can't do anything to screw up his chances.

Also, why would I, I'll take it on the chin if I do something wrong. You gotta pick your spots and know your environment. Theres no way I'm gonna jepordize my life or anyone elses to save a little money. IMO....its just not worth it.

BTW: Raising the speed limit will never happen if all of these accidents continue to happen:( .

atom

·
Devil's Advocate
1,765 Posts
I wouldn't. Crap can escalate too fast if the cop is pissed, and there's no chance to take it back. I'd much rather take my 100% chance of getting a couple hundred buck ticket than go for 95% on getting away if the other 5% is jail or no bike/license and maybe having to splat myself on a guard rail because I didn't see that I was boxxed in before it even started.

I definitely agree about speed limits though, there are places in the lower mainland where its UNSAFE to go the limit. Try doing 100 in the left lane on HWY-1 and watch the frenzy of dangerous driving and swerving that you cause, mixxed with road rage and a good chance of some sleepy dumbass just plain rear ending you. I've rode home from work on days where the pack was moving at 130.. thats everybody. You just DON'T not speed at a time like that, for your own safety.

I think they need to re-evaluate what is dangerous.. maybe speed signs should all have sensors like those road side signs that tell you your speed. They could keep track of the average speed and set that as the current limit. Subject to change during gridlock and during no traffic hours. Democracy on the highways! Haha.

·
Back Again!!
852 Posts
Canadian_Gixxer said:
nope haven't ran from the cops before, I try to keep my hooligan stuff in a secluded area.....
never have, never will. Just not worth it. If I know i did something wrong than I deserve what comes to me. If you are cool with the cop and basically nod and agree, he/she might be more than generous and give you a slap on the hand. And personnally ,I would not run away, leaving it to chance that I might get away. The moment you run away, you , in the eyes of the police are a criminal..You may be running away for more reasons than just speeding and the cop may see that as being enough to give chase and keep chassing.

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
But isn't there a rule that the police aren't allowed to chase you beyond a certain speed or distance??? I remember this in the news maybe 5-6 years back because some pedestrians had died in a police chase. They said it would have been better to let the criminal get away (it was a minor offence, burglary or something) than chase them down and risk the lives of people living/walking/driving in the area. No?

That being said...if an RCMP officer were on my back flashing the cherries, I am pretty sure I would pull over...I always have in the past. With one exception...I ran and got away once when the cop was going in the other direction. It was 6:00am on a Sunday morning, I was going VERY fast...but no cars at that time of day. I was approaching 200kmh in a three lane wide 50kmh zone. I would have probably ended up in jail if I pulled over anyway. :rolleyes So I just kept going...I was a good 200m ahead of him by the time he turned around anyway. BUT, I don't think I'll ever be doing that again. I never even speed anymore (well, not more than 20km) unless I'm outside of the city limits hitting some twisties.

·
Devil's Advocate
1,765 Posts
Harps said:
But isn't there a rule that the police aren't allowed to chase you beyond a certain speed or distance??? I remember this in the news maybe 5-6 years back because some pedestrians had died in a police chase. They said it would have been better to let the criminal get away (it was a minor offence, burglary or something) than chase them down and risk the lives of people living/walking/driving in the area. No?

That being said...if an RCMP officer were on my back flashing the cherries, I am pretty sure I would pull over...I always have in the past. With one exception...I ran and got away once when the cop was going in the other direction. It was 6:00am on a Sunday morning, I was going VERY fast...but no cars at that time of day. I was approaching 200kmh in a three lane wide 50kmh zone. I would have probably ended up in jail if I pulled over anyway. :rolleyes So I just kept going...I was a good 200m ahead of him by the time he turned around anyway. BUT, I don't think I'll ever be doing that again. I never even speed anymore (well, not more than 20km) unless I'm outside of the city limits hitting some twisties.
Yeah I think they get seriously reprimanded, even investigated, and maybe suspended after runnin' yer ass down in a car chase and killin ya with a spike belt when it wasn't proper procedure ;). Just because its not policy for the bull to kick you, doesn't mean you wave a red cape in front of it.

·
builder of bikes
4,802 Posts
blazinr6 said:
also...have you guys ever seen a bike get away without crashing on one of those real cops shows??? never...it's not worth it to me as you have a good chance when disputing it
They wouldn't show the ones where the guy gets away. No fun! And the cops don't want people getting the idea you can get away.

Last time a cop decided he was going to pull me over I was going downhill on Cypress... coasting. He pulled the giant u-turn and I cracked her open. I sped past my buddy (who may choose to remain nameless) and got away. He stopped for the cop. He was handed an $800 ticket and told if he disputed it that he would double it. :(

That right there is a violation of his right to a fair trial by intimidating him into not wanting to pursue due course. %100 unconstitutional.
I lost a lot of respect for Police after that day.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts