BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my bike (carbeurated SV650S 2002) is running a bit rich cuz the gas light blinks at 210km's compared to 230km's from last season. If anytime of the year, it's summertime that i should notice it running richer. The only thing I've done to it during the winter storage is repacking my aftermarket slip on exhaust. Now repacking it prevents the air being trapped by helping the air flow through the cannister right? Will that cause a richer running bike?

If so, should i readjust the air/fuel mixture or take it in to a shop to see how far off the adjustment is? From what I remember, to adjust the air/fuel mixture, i'd turn in the screw until the engine sputters, then adjust it out until it sputters then the mid point of that is my starting point then I'd check the plugs periodically until i find the best air/fuel ratio

i havent check my plugs yet. will do it tomorrow

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
New plugs and clean the air filter and you'll likely find that it goes back to it's old habits.

The carb won't suddenly run rich but bad plugs will tend to make it seem that way since you end up overtwisting to get the same power as before. The only thing that will make it run richer without actually making an adjustment is a dirty airfilter. The freshly packed cans should actually offer less flow resistance as you suggest. But that won't be an issue in any case unless they were plugged somehow.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, I also forgot to mention that sometimes the engine sputter when i blip the throttle for engine braking...

Thx TeeTee, will check the airfilter and plugs in the am. Bike is due for a 12000km insp soon anyways.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
i just wanted to mention that in colder weather fuel efficiency goes down a bit too...that could accomodate for a bit of the difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts