BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a few months since a Squamton Starbucks pilgrimage.

Have they finished any more phases of construction other than the lead up to Lions Bay?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Adam, good to see you back on the board.

I'm heading to Whistler tomorrow night for a weekend of skiing and such.

I'll keep my eyes open.

Mark

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mark.

So.... no one's driven the S2S lately?

·
Still defying gravity...
2,853 Posts
Thanks Mark.

Just drove back from Whistler this morning. Construction as usual, lots of slow-moving constructions vehicles, looks like the road around Britannia Beach is getting done. Passing zones south of Squamish are at the parking lot nr the Chief, Brit Beach through to Furry Crack and the Lions Bay GP course.

Otherwise, nothing has changed - 50 kph zones everywhere and lotsa mud/gravel/ debris on the road.

·
Mortgage Pimp
9,195 Posts
Thanks Mark.

I went up last week and it's absolute shit. There are manholes that are sticking up so high they hit the front valence on my car... the pavement is mostly grooved with debris all over the road and the potholes are big enough to sleep in.

All in all... I'd take the FX if I were you. ;)

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
I drove it about 3 weeks ago, as Scott put it...its crap!

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the Furry Creek hill is four lanes now?

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
I did the S2S yesterday afternoon. Wasn't bad but I wasn't expecting much. Conditions:

No sudden danger spots to be aware of though there's more construction areas than during the summer; mudd now replaces the dirt/dust problems in some spots but there are no surprises. No real signs of snow anywhere except along the edges/bushes near Furry Creek & again approaching Squamish (but nothing on the actual roads). No rain/water 'run-off' across the roads -anywhere- causing slipperage; again, mudd is the only concern.

Once you're at Starbucks (if that's a pit-stop) you'll note they don't plow parking spots... just the roadway through the lot... so bring something to put under your kickstand. Or use one of their ashtrays. ;)

IMHO, it's still a fine ride through what is now 90% construction zone. Furry Creek is 4 lans and the Lions Bay SuperMoto remains in tact. The rest of the road to Whistler is pretty much the same but the roads get wetter cuz the snow's still melting.

Summarized: Vancouver -> Squamish = muddy but safe. :thumbup

:eek EDIT: I didn't do this ride on my VTR. ;) I was on my Yamaha, a bent-up POS cruiser with poor brakes (nearly none actually), a bent frame, bent forks and bent bars to make for that truly 'natural' tank-slappin' feel. :D It's a 26 yr old bike I've tried to destroy, unsuccessfully, for many years. Alas she has great -treaded- tires... so I keep her on the road. Sort of. :rolleyes

·
Registered
969 Posts
Hey Adam, You planning on riding it or caging it? I figured the S2S would be off limits for the next few months due to conditions. If you do ride it, let me know how it is. I'm aching for a decent ride, although I'm taking it very easy now. I skidded my rear tire out real bad yesterday on a left turn in an intersection. Caught it in the end but.. never actually tasted fear before. Intersting sensation.

·
Posing with conviction
5,397 Posts
I went up last week and it's absolute shit. There are manholes that are sticking up so high they hit the front valence on my car...
A few of us went up a few of weeks ago JUST before the snow hit and those manhole covers are wicked. There are a few doozies right in Britannia Beach going towards Squamish right in the center of the lane. Difficult to see until you are almost on top of them. They stick out about 4 to 5 inches ABOVE the asphalt. They have a slope of asphalt around them but the grade is very steep.

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the details reports - I really appreciate it.

The K12R is currently getting TLC from the deer incident. New paint and lots of new carbony goodness.

I'll have it out and ready to roll in just 3 months. Three sad, lonely, depressing, four wheeling months. Somebody hold me *snif*.

·
Black on black crime
873 Posts
im hoping for 15 degrees in january again this year. I NEED TO BUY ANOTHER BIKE.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts