BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot people put on a pipe and call it done but here is a list of safety related mods I have done on my 2015 CBR1000rr. I just wanted to share them because I feel they have been effective for me and others might be interested ..

1 Headlight Modulator ... Kisan Pathblazer

2 LED taillight ... flashing stop pattern to avoid rear fenders at traffic stops... Custom LED

3 Tire Pressure Monitoring System ... amazon.ca no name 50$ and it has got me home safe twice by showing a flat early

4 Air Vest tether ... Helite Turttle

5 traction knee grips ... Stompgrip

6 Saddle with traction inserts on the side panels .. Saddleman

To complete this bikes safety gear I would like to fit an air horn but I just can find a practical place on my moto to put one. If any one has an improved horn suggestion for my CBR1000rr let me know...... or any other comments related to safety setup on a motorcycle for that matter.

XRoToR

·
Fuelled by rice
4,465 Posts
You can go another step and safety wire the bolts.
It’s more of a track thing but can be handy overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,992 Posts

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,285 Posts
The best safety-related improvement you can make is not a bolt-on farkle, but an investment in your riding skills. A farkle won't save your ass when you hit gravel mid-corner, but a correct split-second decision and follow through just may.

Take an advanced riding course, then take another ten.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

loud. motorists who start to change lanes into yours jump outa the way! bigger than stock, but not absurd. maybe under your seat?

loud. motorists who start to change lanes into yours jump outa the way! bigger than stock, but not absurd. maybe under your seat?
I like it but I don't have any room under the seats anymore. I suppose now that I have thought about it what I would really like is a louder horn that can fit into the same OEM mounting location.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I forgot one "farkle" <wink> safety aid in my initial list. It works so transparently that I missed it entirely when I created the list at first.

7 Turn Signal Self Cancelling Module - STS - works by using a multi-axis solid state gyro with a computer to determine the action of the bike and turn the signals off at the correct time. Although it sounds a little like magic BS it has been 100% reliable for right and left turns for me. I never even think about the signals for turns anymore - set and forget. Lane changes are a little less reliable depending on what you are doing and I typically manually operate the signals for the brief time I need them then.

I used to own a FJ1100 with self-cancelling signals (so long ago). Then I switched to a CBR1100xx that did not have them (also so long ago haha) and found myself forgetting to cancel signals all too often. This is of course very dangerous and I had to work hard to create a new habit to manual-cancel them reliably. How stupid it would feel to be injured and involve others as a consequence of something so simple but obviously important. It would be like landing a plane with the gear up. In 2016 I got the CBR1000rr that I ride now and added the STS self-cancel system soon after. The system has worked flawlessly from the day it was installed and I have put over 20K on it now. I feel safer with the system because the number of times I find the turn signals on without me being aware is almost never now.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Take an advanced riding course, then take another ten.
but thats not the topic though is it? its rather straight forward and on the subect line. safety mods..

a riding course is not a mod.. try racing / competition at an early age, any practice of the sport really..

it will teach you a hell of a lot more than 4 hours on a TRAINING bike,
even if you wear two high viz vests LOL

much like anything else in life those who got into riding at a much later age, and took
a few training courses, or ten seem to become ride training NAZIS, much like SELF-HELP
afficionados.. eveything is ohh just take another course.. you'll get there grasshopper..

a very good friend of mine started riding well into his 20s.. he quickly found he loved the track..
not the riding course at the track.. but he loved the track, the going fast.. so he got his WERA
racing license.. and after a few top 3, top 2 and plenty of podiums guess what? he became
a damn good rider.. i've seen his shots, videos and shit the guy looks in charge.. Even so,
he flip-wheelied his brand new 2017 R1 race bike at the track, off the line... he was trying
how to figure out the 'launch control'.. probably could have used some training on that bit.. :p

he took, ONE riding course.. to get his license... ONE!! not 10, not 20, not even 30.. ONE!
okay, maybe by now he's taken an advanced riding course.. lol ;)

the topic at hand, decided by OP has nothing to do with riding skills..
even with all the skills under my belt i still put on a helmet, full face helmet that is,
and wear fancy riding boots with proper protection.. i also wear high quality gloves
because they protect my hands in case of a bad fall.. comfortable gear allows me to
stay on top of things and i can ride longer, safer!! some of the best riders i've met
wear a back brace full time when riding..

are you saying all of those things are useless/? and offer no safety to the rider? at all?

as in zero? of course not.. that would be silly, your post, comment is for another topic.. :D

my 2 cents..

not that there's anything wrong with taking a riding course.. of course LOL

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To me, headlight modulator screams paranoid motorcyclist.
I believe that headlight modulators reduce incidents in particular where drivers pull out in front of you. These are also one of the most common deadly motorcycle accidents. While I don't deny we riders should be looking for this and driving defensively, it does not hurt to make it easier for the driver to see you too and avoid the whole situation. I would think that Fluro colored jackets and helmets have somewhat the same effect. Are people who wear those paranoid too? What modifications would you consider reasonable then?

·
Registered
18,876 Posts
I believe that headlight modulators reduce incidents in particular where drivers pull out in front of you. These are also one of the most common deadly motorcycle accidents. While I don't deny we riders should be looking for this and driving defensively, it does not hurt to make it easier for the driver to see you too and avoid the whole situation. I would think that Fluro colored jackets and helmets have somewhat the same effect. Are people who wear those paranoid too? What modifications would you consider reasonable then?
Motorcycling is meant to be cool. Having flashing lights like an emergency vehicle and adoring yourself
with gear that makes you look like a carnival attraction are not part of that.

If you want safety, drive a car. I have ridden for a LONG time. I have never hit another vehicle on my bike, nor had another vehicle hit me while on one. It's possible this is a fluke, but not likely. You can get reflective piping to help with night time visibility, fair enough.. but if wearing neon helmets, orange jackets and flashing lights are requisite to being safe on the road, then count me out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I believe that headlight modulators reduce incidents in particular where drivers pull out in front of you. These are also one of the most common deadly motorcycle accidents. While I don't deny we riders should be looking for this and driving defensively, it does not hurt to make it easier for the driver to see you too for cyberpunk fashion at cyberpunkclothing.net and avoid the whole situation. I would think that Fluro colored jackets and helmets have somewhat the same effect. Are people who wear those paranoid too? What modifications would you consider reasonable then?
yeah i totally agree with you. this will help him with this effect.

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Motorcycling is meant to be cool. Having flashing lights like an emergency vehicle and adoring yourself
with gear that makes you look like a carnival attraction are not part of that.

If you want safety, drive a car. I have ridden for a LONG time. I have never hit another vehicle on my bike, nor had another vehicle hit me while on one. It's possible this is a fluke, but not likely. You can get reflective piping to help with night time visibility, fair enough.. but if wearing neon helmets, orange jackets and flashing lights are requisite to being safe on the road, then count me out.

Yeah I'll agree. Sort of.

I don't ride to be cool. I ride because riding street/dirt bikes offers a passion, a combined involvement of man and machine, flying, on the ground.

Flashing headlights actually is aggravating.

Reflective jackets seem to be used by riders as a means to cover for rider situational awareness. A cage driver looking at their cell phone will not notice a bright orange jacket any better than normal colors. Ride as if you are invisible, this is your best defence.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Steve.....Can headlight flashing be any more aggravating than loud or open pipes? At least the headlight flashing is directed mostly at other motorists and not the larger environment like pipes. Do you have any evidence for your opinion that people lose there situational awareness when they wear a fluorescent jacket? Here is an article that claims that fluro riders are 37% less likely to be involved in a crash and most state and provincial licensing bodies promote this type of clothing for riders. Motorcycle rider conspicuity and crash related injury: case-control study

I think you are to right about about preoccupied drivers not seeing fluoro but I found from experience riding with a modulator, that a flashing headlight does get their attention. From what I understand it is some how related to how the brain processes peripheral vision and the rate of flashing/motion that is taking place. Obviously the best safety practice is to employ all reasonable passive methods simultaneously while keeping a keen Situational Awareness when riding.

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,285 Posts
I found from experience riding with a modulator, that a flashing headlight does get their attention
I absolutely HATE seeing an oncoming bike with a headlight modulator. Few things on the road are as annoying as that. And they always make me gravitate towards them, which is not something you want to happen ("where you look is where you will go").

Highly doubt it does shit all for improving your safety.

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Steve.....Can headlight flashing be any more aggravating than loud or open pipes? At least the headlight flashing is directed mostly at other motorists and not the larger environment like pipes. Do you have any evidence for your opinion that people lose there situational awareness when they wear a fluorescent jacket? Here is an article that claims that fluro riders are 37% less likely to be involved in a crash and most state and provincial licensing bodies promote this type of clothing for riders. Motorcycle rider conspicuity and crash related injury: case-control study

I think you are to right about about preoccupied drivers not seeing fluoro but I found from experience riding with a modulator, that a flashing headlight does get their attention. From what I understand it is some how related to how the brain processes peripheral vision and the rate of flashing/motion that is taking place. Obviously the best safety practice is to employ all reasonable passive methods simultaneously while keeping a keen Situational Awareness when riding.
I'm no fan of open pipes, especially on any summer night when the pubs close at 12:30-1am.

I'm not sold on fluro clothing, but I have read reports that extra lights on a bike, to avoid confusion of a single headlight, to a multiple set of beams offering more visual accurate distance and speed measurements in a motorcyclists most dangerous situation [the intersection left hand turn car] to be vast improvement.

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
I absolutely HATE seeing an oncoming bike with a headlight modulator. Few things on the road are as annoying as that. And they always make me gravitate towards them, which is not something you want to happen ("where you look is where you will go").

Highly doubt it does shit all for improving your safety.

I agree. I hate it more as a motorcyclist my self, as I instantly regard the rider of such equipped bike as scared of his activity. Kind of like the current young Karens out there right now in Bat Flu 2020, driving in their sealed vehicle, 25 feet from the nearest person,, with mask, and gloves, with eyes in complete fear and dread. Absolute fucking sheep.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I'm not sold on fluro clothing, but I have read reports that extra lights on a bike, to avoid confusion of a single headlight, to a multiple set of beams offering more visual accurate distance and speed measurements in a motorcyclists most dangerous situation [the intersection left hand turn car] to be vast improvement.
I saw a bike the other evening with lights mounted out at the ends of the bars. THAT made sense to me. more like the separation on a car, so more likely that the distance gets judged more correctly.

Reactions: Steve G.

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
I saw a bike the other evening with lights mounted out at the ends of the bars. THAT made sense to me. more like the separation on a car, so more likely that the distance gets judged more correctly.
Twenty years ago, a high ranking member of BMWMOA and WA State Patrol told me he studied lighting for his patrol bikes. He says a triangle pattern of lighting gives oncoming cage drivers a better visual cue on distance and incoming speed of motorcycles, compared to single headlight. I've got PIA lights apart and below my headlight, separation, run them constantly. I think it helps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts