BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was just a brutal day today...nice weather, nice roads, horrible luck.

Myself, Sewman, Hu99 and Human head over to the island for a nice relaxing ride out to Tofino and back. Nothing too major, we had done the road once before.

First of all, we lose Human about 5 minutes into the ride, at like 10:30am...we wouldn't be seen again until 1:30 or so.

Then about 50kms away from Tofino, at like 1:00pm...I lose traction on some gravel, my bike slides for about 20ft (along with me) and ends up in a four foot deep ditch, after plowing through a traffic sign. I'm okay, but my new (to me) bike is totalled.

At that point Human and Scooter6R show up to the crash scene. Whatever, my bike's gone. We head back to Pt Alberni to grab some lunch (I'm riding bitch on Sewman's ZX-6).

When we get to Pt Alberni, Hu99's ZX-9R has a puncture in the rear tyre. So he's kinda screwed. So we go the only bike shop in Alberni...this is just before 4pm, and the shop closes at 4:00pm...so we think we're okay. But the owner decided to close up early, and it look slike he's been long gone.

So Sewman, goes to Canadian Tire and grabs a tyre patch kit to patch up Lloyd's bike. We grab some lunch in Pt Alberni and head home.

I think the only good points of the day were that we barely made both of our ferry sailings.

But other than that...a really shitty day. :mad

X

·
0 Posts
This has been a bad bad bad day overall for crashes..

I hope you are ok. - Question: Where did your bike end up? did you transport it home? Or did you just leave it there for a tow truck to take back?

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
Damn Harps, thats serious bad luck man. Glad to here your okay, thats the most important thing even though it may not seem that way. Theres been a rash of bad luck so far this season:( .

I feel for you man....

atom

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I have to add something. This bitch cop has the nerve to give Harps a ticket, after he just destroyed his bike. We're all somber and glumb and this heartless robot come jaunting in taking pictures. She proceeds to joke around with us and mention, "By the way, I'm an expert at assessing highway accidents and I gave your friend a ticket for driving too fast for the conditions.

That's like shooting a dead family pet and laughing about it!:firemad It was totally unneccessary and she based the ticket on a skid mark that Harps didn't even make! I was trembling inside from anger, but I just smiled and nodded cuz I didn't want her to slap anything on us.

Pro's and cons: Harps gets a new bike. Any suggestions guys?
cons: He won't be able to afford insurance on his new bike.

Don't worry Harps, gravel will get the best of us. You'll be riding a 6, 7 or 9 R in two weeks time.

p.s. Was good meeting loyd and Farhad and to see you again Scoot6r.

X

·
0 Posts
Are you kidding? - how can a cop give a ticket without even being there? that stinks

D

·
0 Posts
DISPUTE IT!!

Man... REALLY sorry to hear about that ride.. sounds terrible.. GLAD to hear you're not hurt though..

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My bike's still on the island, at the tow yard. It's toast though, I doubt I'll ever see it again. I took some pictures, I'll post them when I get them developed/scanned. It was in pretty rough shape, but I was surprisingly unscathed. It pays to wear full gear, I guess.

The bike has:
-damage to all fairings (or almost all)
-bent subframe
-dented rim
-ram air is completely broken off
-bent/twisted forks
-left clip-on is broken off
-whole front end, including headlights, fairing, windscreen, mirrors, you name it, it got damaged

This bike has been nothing but bad luck to me since the day I got it. I know I'm to blame sinc eI was the one riding it, but sometimes luck is on your side, soemtimes it's not. It never was with this bike. I've had it since late February. I layed it downin some frost about two weeks after I got it. So it was out of commision for FIVE weeks waiting for parts (just fairings). I get it back last Wednesday, four days later it's toast.

Prior to this, in three seasons of riding, I've had four bikes...this 2001 ZX-6R being the fourth. In all that time, on all those bikes, all I ever had was one minor low-side in the rain about three months after I started riding, on my first bike (didn't even involve ICBC). The next two bikes, I put maybe 15,000kms on, and I had no trouble scraping pegs and whatnot through the corners. This bike, I have put maybe 500kms on it, and I've already had two crashes, and one really big one.

Only explanation...it must be jinxed. Not my fault at all, right?

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, to add to Sewman's post...

It was very nice to meet Lloyd, Farhad and Derek...very cool guys, and certainly people that I got along with well. You can't really tell over the internet...but great people, take my word for it.

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
whahthaht?? god damn, another crash :( nothing but crash stories tonight :( arggh :( this blows :( glad your ok dude. Gravel got me eariler this month and went into a 12 ft ditch, but bike came away with only fairing damage.

·
Registered
193 Posts
oh damn... i feel sorry for your lost man. i thought i had a bad day dropping my Arai TWICE today, but it doesn't even compare to this. the most important thing is that you are okay. i hope things work out for you.

·
Back to the OG
228 Posts
Harps, that F%[email protected]# sucks man, especially the uncompassionate inhumane cop. I do wonder if they have some obligation to look for a reason to give a ticket when something like that goes down... otherwise road conditions may be at fault, and they'd have to spend money!! Bullshit aside, it's good to hear you're okay, it's a good thing you were with supportive people.
Just today, I head that a guy I rode with last w/e on an FZ1 dumped it and is in the hospital with at least an arm broken in a few places- metal plates and all. Sobering thoughts. With this good weather, we're all like 16yr olds behind the wheel for the first time. It's just too bad we sometimes need to learn the hard way. I say this not directed at you, it's just a reflection on all of us.

S

·
0 Posts
dknite said:
DISPUTE IT!!
Totally..."expert" my ass. What the hell makes her an expert? A degree in forensics? Even if she had that, I don't even think that counts as being an "expert". Dispute it man. If she based it on the skid mark, then you can get a rubber sample from it and your tire and send it to the real experts to prove that it isn't yours.

·
moving pylon
1,428 Posts
shitty man.... at least your ok.
don't worry about insurance, they won't raise your rates till NEXT season, i know from experience:(

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
bl1tz said:
shitty man.... at least your ok.
don't worry about insurance, they won't raise your rates till NEXT season, i know from experience:(

if the bike is totalled and ICBC does a payout I believe the insurance is over....new one needs to be made up...

·
builder of bikes
4,802 Posts
I heard somewhere that you take the plates off it and put it on a valid frame that has a 250 or 80 CC motor in it then insure that. Then get new plates for the big bike. That way the high rate stays on the "plate".

But I've not looked into this. I insure 3 vehicles at once and I'm pretty sure that if I crashed any one of them I'd be payin' 20+ surcharge or w.h.y on ALL my plates. Find out maybe?

Get the new bike and then go buy a 250 bike from Atlas or something and insure it.

Remember, ICBC changed the rules. If you don't put insurance on a vehicle, your rates don't go down. You must be insuring a vehicle in order for the discount to work.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Sewman said:
I have to add something. This bitch cop has the nerve to give Harps a ticket, after he just destroyed his bike. We're all somber and glumb and this heartless robot come jaunting in taking pictures. She proceeds to joke around with us and mention, "By the way, I'm an expert at assessing highway accidents and I gave your friend a ticket for driving too fast for the conditions.
That's unbelieveable.

Defintetly dispute that, she didn't see you speeding and theres no way she brought out the forensic lab pocket kit and checked the skid mark using her super brain... gimmie a break.

Glad to hear your ok man..

TAKE IT EASY GUYS, it's only April!! We need to have some members left by the middle of summer to come to the BBQ. :p

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
Harps....damn, definately dispute that ticket. Also, in court, tell her your an expert at identifying a bitch...

·
I'm back
1,947 Posts
cosworth said:
I heard somewhere that you take the plates off it and put it on a valid frame that has a 250 or 80 CC motor in it then insure that. Then get new plates for the big bike. That way the high rate stays on the "plate".

But I've not looked into this. I insure 3 vehicles at once and I'm pretty sure that if I crashed any one of them I'd be payin' 20+ surcharge or w.h.y on ALL my plates. Find out maybe?
Your surcharge (if you have one) only effects the first vehicle you insure, every other vehicle after that gets a 40% discount. Thats why you see people doing that trick with the scooters. You buy a scooter and put base insurance on it no extras like collision or comp. Scooters are cheaper to insure then other vehicles especially with no extras. You never have to ride the thing, basically all you buy it for is the registration so you can insure it. Then you insure your other vehicles at a 40% discount. If you have a big surcharge (Say 30%+) even paying a $1000 for a scooter is cheaper in the long term and sometimes even one insurance year.

Example: Some made up numbers but you get the idea

Scooter, base insurance $1000 a year add in surcharge of 30% your looking at $1300 for the year.

ZX6r insurance with comp and collision $3000 add 30% $3900

ZX6r insurance with comp and collision $3000 minus 40% $1800

Scooter with surchage plus Zx6r with 40% = $3300

If you have a cage as well you can add in even more savings because you'll get 40% discount on that to.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts