BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into a 2 stroke dual sport.

What do i really need to know about these things? The engine was just recently rebuilt(as I here they don't last very long), but how long could I expect it to last? I will probably be using it for mainly dirt at first (as I don't have a class 6 yet), but once that is finished, I will use it for commuting too.

BTW it is a Suzuki TS200

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was researching 4 stroke vs. 2 strokes on the internet, and most of them said that they do not last as long.

·
damn broken leg!!!!!!!
1,610 Posts
Depends mostly on whether it is a racing engine being used as such or just a put-put bike. A race engine will need more attention 4- or 2-stroke. Only the 4-stroke will cost MUCH more to rebuild.

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
2 strokes go ringadingding....ding.....and smoke.....

4 strokes go BBBBBBBrooommmmmmbb bbb b b b bbb and dont smoke...

2 stroke only piston goes up and down....

4 stroke,,,,a whole shit load of parts are moving....

I had too...sorry...ha ha ahahahah

·
Registered
16 Posts
2 strokes go ringadingding....ding.....and smoke.....

4 strokes go BBBBBBBrooommmmmmbb bbb b b b bbb and dont smoke...

2 stroke only piston goes up and down....

4 stroke,,,,a whole shit load of parts are moving....

I had too...sorry...ha ha ahahahah

Well said Mr. Sushi.

I got a few 2 and 4 stroke bikes including a KLX300 4 stroke dirt bike and Honda CRF 4 stroke and GasGas 250 2 stroke dirt bike. I've had the GasGas for only 3 years it has never failed while riding some of the nastiest shite around and has been the most dependable bike in my toybox :rockon It will prolly outlast any 4-stroke dirt bike I will own.

·
What? I can't hear you...
110 Posts

Cost me about $150 bucks to take that engine from not even turning over running perfectly. Would've cost me about 60 if it weren't for a pair of craptastic coils; beyond that all it needed was a pair of rings and a thourough carburetor cleaning. No overbore, no piston, no nothing... two strokes are great for that. Most of the ones I've seen up for sale and described as "running rough/needs mechanical work" would probably run just fine with a good carb cleaning session. As said, if you're not ripping it a new one every time you go out (which is unlikely on a TS200), you should do fine. At the end of the day, there's simply less stuff to screw up/die/go wrong on a two-stroke.

PS: Like your last post said though, TS200's are rare. Finding parts could be a bitch, and nothing sucks more than spending years searching for that one elusive part. The shitty plastic fenders on my Yamaha are proof of that :(

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Cost me about $150 bucks to take that engine from not even turning over running perfectly. Would've cost me about 60 if it weren't for a pair of craptastic coils; beyond that all it needed was a pair of rings and a thourough carburetor cleaning. No overbore, no piston, no nothing... two strokes are great for that. Most of the ones I've seen up for sale and described as "running rough/needs mechanical work" would probably run just fine with a good carb cleaning session. As said, if you're not ripping it a new one every time you go out (which is unlikely on a TS200), you should do fine. At the end of the day, there's simply less stuff to screw up/die/go wrong on a two-stroke.

PS: Like your last post said though, TS200's are rare. Finding parts could be a bitch, and nothing sucks more than spending years searching for that one elusive part. The shitty plastic fenders on my Yamaha are proof of that :(
I've come to the conclusion that TS200's are a DR200, which seems to be much more popular. I was just searching for DR200's, and all the DR's from the mid nineties, had TS-R decals, and they look exactly like the TS.

·
110 Posts
Wierd. Ah well, in that case parts shouldn't be too hard... looks like a cool bike.

246 pounds and 35 horsepower... pretty good combo.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Try riding a Kawi H1 or H2 triple if you can find one...and if you can keep the front wheel on the ground. They were the "Busa" of their day. 2 strokes rockets !~!!

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
4 strokes 15 years ago were way more reliable and 2 stokes needed new pistons once per year and 4 strokes every 12 years.

In the last few years since 1998 a new breed of light weight racing 4 strokes have come into the market. These bikes are all super high maintenance hand gernades. There light weight and fun to ride and were built to imitate the feeling and light weight of a ?????????? 2 stroke.

Now a lot of people in the last 4 years are reverting back too 2 strokes because there easier to maintain and cheaper too rebuild. There center of gravity is also way lower making them better in tight woods.

The TS 200 is a good 2 stroke. I'd buy it and right away put in a new piston and crank seals too be on the safe side. They have really long piston skirts so you don't get alot of slapping at top/bottom dead center. Pistons on 2 strokes usually break off piston skirts from wear and tear. Doing just the rings might help boost compression but to make it reliable replace the whole piston. It's only around $200 for a top end kit and around $45 for the crank seals. Crank seals get old and dry up. There the reason why most 2 strokes seize and theres no warning signs , so replace them before they wear out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
4 strokes 15 years ago were way more reliable and 2 stokes needed new pistons once per year and 4 strokes every 12 years.

In the last few years since 1998 a new breed of light weight racing 4 strokes have come into the market. These bikes are all super high maintenance hand gernades. There light weight and fun to ride and were built to imitate the feeling and light weight of a ?????????? 2 stroke.

Now a lot of people in the last 4 years are reverting back too 2 strokes because there easier to maintain and cheaper too rebuild. There center of gravity is also way lower making them better in tight woods.

The TS 200 is a good 2 stroke. I'd buy it and right away put in a new piston and crank seals too be on the safe side. They have really long piston skirts so you don't get alot of slapping at top/bottom dead center. Pistons on 2 strokes usually break off piston skirts from wear and tear. Doing just the rings might help boost compression but to make it reliable replace the whole piston. It's only around $200 for a top end kit and around $45 for the crank seals. Crank seals get old and dry up. There the reason why most 2 strokes seize and theres no warning signs , so replace them before they wear out.
The engine was just recently completly overhauled. O hrs on it. I am really quite confused on the TS200. Is it hard to find parts?

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
It was never a big seller in this country. Everyone back when the bike was new wanted a 250 or bigger 4 stroke because they wanted a maintenance free bike.It didn't sell very well just bad timing. Parts are still available.

Just make sure it really was rebuilt. I hear that shit all the time. O yeah , everything is new , mint... rebuilt by my brother 4 years ago ....... . One man's mint is another man's sour milk.

If it is completely rebuild you shoul have a good bike.

Just remember with 2 strokes and this is the key to long engine life.

LET IT WARM UP !!!!!! Cold seizure is when you get on it and pin it from cold . The piston expands quicker than the cylinder and bang , you have 4 nice lines going up and down the sides. Called a 4 point seizure.

Start the bike and let it idle until the rad is warm , then drive slowly for 1 minute or ?? You will know instantly when it is warm because it starts making power. If you do this all the time it will run for a long time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He has reciepts for the rebuilt as of Oct 5 this month. Starts up first kick from cold. Sounds like this bike is not aircooled (You said wait for the rad to be warm)

·
110 Posts
What's your opinion on REAL old two strokes? Like 30 year old two strokes... I lucked out with my CT175 as everything was well within tolerances, and I expect my GT250 looks to be in the same shape (low kms), but the PE175 needed a new piston and cylinder. Why? I've always assumed it was just because my older two strokes make more tractable power down low and don't need to be wound out to 9000 rpm to make power. True? False?

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
The real old 2 strokes had higher clearances and longer pistons. They didn't slap around as much ( ring dance ) . That and an old MX 175 Yamaha could run for 10 years on one piston if you really wanted to . That engine is still used in the Yamaha Blaster 4 wheeler there very tough. But they only put out around 18 to 22 hp at best compared to the modern 250's in the 45 to 55 hp range.

If the cylinder is damaged it's usually caused by ;

1 ) broken ring , broken skirt, bottem end bearing coming apart , leaky seal or something went thru the engine damaging the cylinder.

2) Wrong jetting caused a seizure

3) Holding it wide open for any lenght of time.

4) Ring dance. Where the piston slaps back and forth at TDC or BDC and makes the cylinder hour glass shaped.

5) normal wear and tear

This is why you can bore most the old bikes 6 to 10 times over bore.

·
SM Corporation!
375 Posts
The Suzuki bike that you are talking about is early 90s yeah?
Go look for a Yamaha DT 200. Take bills advice in warming it up, and put quality 2 stroke oil in it.
2 stroke motor cycles are better period. They cost less to maintain, they are reliable when operated properly, parts are cheap, power is better and C of G is better. Plus they sound way cool.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts