BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Smile
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who wants a scooter and wants to know what is a good kind to get. She asked me and well I don’t ride them nor do I know anything about them, so I though I would ask you all for advice. Anyone know much about them??

·
Registered
229 Posts
It depends on what style of scooter your friend is looking to get, how big an engine she is looking for, etc. If she just wants to have some fun and don't want to bother with a class 6 licence, she is limited to 50cc scooters.

Off the top of my head, I can think of the following 50cc scooters. There are many, many more if you want to move up to bigger displacement.

Honda
Jazz - retro style, 4-stroke, clean, but powerless
Ruckus - funky style, 4-stroke, clean, but powerless

Yamaha
Vino - retro style, 4-stroke, clean, and marginally more powerful than Jazz / Ruckus
BWS - modern style, 2-stroke, smoky but powerful

Kymco
Super 9 - modern style, 2-stroke, smoky, super fast (up to 90kph, I was told! :eek )
ZX50 - don't know too much about this one

Vespa / Piaggio
LX50 - retro style, 4-stroke, expensive
Typhoon - modern style, 2-stroke, don't know this one too well

All of these scooters can be purchased in Vancouver. The Kymco dealer, Empire Scooters, is a relatively new one since the brand has only entered into the Canadian market recently, although the company has been around for quite a while, and is a top Taiwanese brand.

Even in their hopelessly powerless factory form, these scooters should be able to do 60kph on level ground if the rider is not too heavy. I have a Vino myself, and given my 140-ish weight, I regularly do 62kph on flat ground. Hills, on the other hand, is an entirely different story. If I can get a good run to build up speed, I can usually maintain speed fairly well in the 50kph range. (I rode up SFU via Burnaby Mountain Parkway at 50 to 55kph.) Without a good running start, however, you're probably looking at 40kph or less. On some really steep hills in Port Moody, I can only manage 30kph. Going downhill, I have gone as fast as 68kph.

Depending on which scooter you get, there are usually some performance parts available as well to make the scoot go a bit faster. 80kph on level ground should be do-able after mods if you get a 70cc kit.

-Rick

·
I'm new
2,075 Posts
try out the super 9 and the bws if your looking for power, but the vino and jazz if your looking for the old school look.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Technically, the Kymco Super 9 is illegal for someone without a motorcycle licence. ICBC's definition of a limited speed motorcycle includes a max speed of 70kph and a dry weight of 95kg or less, both of which are violated by the Super 9. I dunno how strict your insurance agent is going to be when he writes up your insurance papers, but if you get into an accident, this could potentially be something that ICBC can use against you.

Re: Jester666
Vinos from MY2005 and before were 2-strokes. The new 2006 Vino is a 4-stroker.

-Rick

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Traum said:
Re: Jester666
Vinos from MY2005 and before were 2-strokes. The new 2006 Vino is a 4-stroker.

-Rick

You're right!! and judging from the website they came out wit ha 125cc Vino too? that one looks pretty kewl! 1/2 price of Vespa lol

·
WMRC Past Prez three time
2,580 Posts
Cop Catcher said:
Scooters are like fat chicks, fun until your buddies see you riding one.
Wow..... that's so funny.....I've never heard that before.......NOT!

·
Been riding since 1985
1,609 Posts
Hey, Traum I like the scooter in your avatar.
Do you know who carries it in Vanc?
What make & model is it?
2 stroke or 4 stroke?
Top speed?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hey Phil, the scooter in my avatar is a Derbi V3 GP1. It is supposed to be available in 50cc (2 stroke), 125cc (4 stroke), and 250cc (4 stroke), but I don't think it is available in Canada anymore. (It is not shown in Derbi Canada's website anymore.) It's a shame, really, because the scooter looks absolutely bada$$. I'd love to get a hold of the 125cc version.

-Rick

·
Posing with conviction
5,396 Posts
G-slide said:
try out the super 9 and the bws if your looking for power, but the vino and jazz if your looking for the old school look.
Agreed. Another point... Sticking with either the Yamaha BWS, Yamaha Vino or the Honda Jazz will make it easy for your friend to resell the scoot down the road. Scoots retain their value a lot more than a motorcycle, if that is of any importance to your friend.

Another thing to consider is storage. The Jazz has GREAT storage under the seat. Not sure about the Vino. The BWS you can strap stuff to the back of it or put a luggage container on the rack.

The BWS has quite a bit of kick from a standing start which can be intimidating to a new rider. Honda Jazz is whisper quiet but doesn't have the "quick out of the gate" that the BWS does. The Vino styling is a bit more "true retro" whereas the Jazz is "cuter".

The Vespa you are a huge premium for the branding. They are no better than either the Vino or the Jazz.

They are all good machines. She should just go down to some dealerships and jones around to see if she can get a test drive on them.

Maybe some people know which dealerships are good for offerring test rides on these puppies.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The 2006 Vino also has excellent storage capacity. On paper, it's 20L vs Jazz's 22L, but the difference is minor in real life. I can fit my medium open face helmet under the seat with room to spare, but my large full face helment doesn't fit. The 2006 Vino, however, comes with a smallish rear luggage rack already, while the Jazz only has a grab handle. (The rear carrier rack on the Jazz is an optional accessory that'll cost you extra.)

I would imagine that the Vespa LX50 is bound to have poorer acceleration times and slightly worse fuel economy since it is a quite a bit heavier than both the Jazz and the Vino (160-ish vs Vespa's 200-ish lbs). The Vespa does have a front disc brake, while the Jazz / Vino make do with front drums. But the Yamaha BWs offers front disc brakes as well.

As far as dealerships are concerned, Carter seems to have higher prices than RMS since they are reluctant on giving discounts to move the 2005 stock, while RMS has given the Jazzes a lower than MSRP price to move the old 2005 stock. For the Yamahas, you can't go wrong with Pacific Yamaha (in Richmond) or GA Checkpoint (in Port Moody). Both are 5-star Yamaha dealerships, and they live up to that reputation. I've had no problems getting test rides at Carter, RMS, Pacific Yamaha, and GA Checkpoint at all.

-Rick

·
Posing with conviction
5,396 Posts
Traum said:
Hey Phil, the scooter in my avatar is a Derbi V3 GP1. It is supposed to be available in 50cc (2 stroke), 125cc (4 stroke), and 250cc (4 stroke), but I don't think it is available in Canada anymore.
Carter Honda by Granville Island did sell Derbi's but haven't set foot inside the place for quite some time.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I don't know if it has always been that way, but I think Derbi got swallowed by Piaggio (which also owns the Vespa brand), so maybe you can only find Derbi's at Vancouver Vespa nowadays. But when I was over there at Vancouver Vespa, they certainly didn't have any Derbi V3 GP1's lying around. :(

-Rick

O

·
0 Posts
sorry to bring a really old thread back to life, but I was curious if anybody has had experience with insurance for a Kymco Super 9, as Traum mentioned, it is technically not a limited speed motorcycle, but it's pretty much borderline (stated 106kg and 80km/h top speed as opposed to 95kg and 70km/h for ICBC requirements). Has ICBC made an exception for the Super 9, or do they require regular motorcycle insurance/licencing for it? Maybe Michael can weigh in on this one ;). Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The Super9 is one fast scoot. It has a sporty suspension, big, wide tires (for a scooter), dual disc brakes, and a water-cooled 2-stroke engine. In stock form, I think you can get the speedometer to go up to 90kph (which in reality is probably more like 80kph). The down side is, it is a gas-guzzler of a scooter. Even with a 6.x litre tank, the scoot only has a range of around 100km per tank. At best, I've heard that people managed to get 120-ish km out of a full tank, but it can also drop way down to 70-ish km if you have a heavy wrist. (By contrast, my old 4-stroke 50cc Vino regularly goes 220+km on a 4L tank, although she tops out at around 65kph.)

In practical terms, I don't think anyone really pays too much attention to ICBC's limited speed motorcycle requirements. Both the Kymco Super9 and the Vespa LX50 are too heavy to be classified as a bona fide limited speed motorcycle. I think the BWs and the Super9 are also too fast in stock form to meet the LSMC requirements as well. And let's not forget all those scooterists who put a 70cc kit in their old 2-stroke scoots as well. In practical terms, nobody cares. They all just get sweeped under the carpet and everyone is happy.

I should also mention that as of some time last year (June 06, I think?), new 2-stroke scoots are effectively banned from importation into Canada because 99% of them can't meet the stricter emission requirements. There is an Aprilia 2-stroke Di-tec engine or something that apparently meets the emission standards, but I am not sure if that model is imported at all. And as far as I know, Kymco Canada has long run out of stock on the Super9, so you'll only find them in the used market. Or maybe Jiang Wayne from the Scooters shop can help you track on down.

-Rick

O

·
0 Posts
Hi Traum, thanks for the info. So to clarify, by "swept under the carpet" you mean that people usually insure them as limited speed motorcycles? I would be concerned about that coming back to bite me later on if something happens requiring liability insurance and ICBC uses it to worm out of covering you.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts