BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What class of license do you need to ride a scooter in BC? What's the CC limitations for operating under a class 5? Can someone ride one of those mighty Burgmans with a car license? If not, if yout take your class 6 license on a large displacement scooter, like a Burgman, are you limited to automatic transmission bikes?

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
50cc and less only requires a class 5. I believe anything else requires a class 6

D

·
0 Posts
class 5 for 50cc and less. anything over that needs a class 6.

you wouldn't be restricted to automatic if you did your test on a burgman. it's 400cc right? 400cc gives you unrestricted riding ability.

·
BADUNKADUNK
1,408 Posts
JHinds said:
Nope, when I got my MST a girl got hers on a 50cc scooter.
That doesn't seem right, that's almost like cheating.

·
Posing with conviction
5,396 Posts
I was told by instructors at BC Safety Council that if you took your MST on a scooter you couldn't ride a motorcycle. I believe there is a threshold on displacement for a motorcycle as well. Say if you took your MST on a 250cc bike you couldn't ride a larger displacement bike. I don't know what the thresholds are.

A phone call to ICBC is in order. Seems like no one knows so far.

·
Addicted to speed
237 Posts
Since you only need a drivers license for most scooters, why would anyone with a scooter even bother taking the MST on one if you can't ride a motorcycle once you pass? Can you ride a Burgman with a class 6r or do you need the full class 6? (I don't want a Burgman I'm just curious)

·
Registered
229 Posts
I know for a fact that you if take the road test in an auto tranny / CVT scooter, you'll be restricted to the use of automatic transmission only. I also know that if you take the road test in something smaller than 200cc, there'll be a displacement restriction on your licence as well. However, I don't know if the 2 restrictions are related to each other. (I can't imagine why they would be.)

-Rick

·
High Five
344 Posts
heisenberg9 said:
I was told by instructors at BC Safety Council that if you took your MST on a scooter you couldn't ride a motorcycle. I believe there is a threshold on displacement for a motorcycle as well. Say if you took your MST on a 250cc bike you couldn't ride a larger displacement bike. I don't know what the thresholds are.

A phone call to ICBC is in order. Seems like no one knows so far.

I did my skills test on a 250cc Honda Rebel and my license has no restrictions

M

·
0 Posts
With a Class 5 you can ride 49cc and under, but are not permitted a passenger.

·
1,768 Posts
From ICBC:

Your licence may be restricted, depending on the type or size of motorcycle used for your road test:
  • If you take your road test on motorcycle 200cc or less, you will be issued a licence restricting you from carrying passengers.
  • If you take your road test on a motor scooter, you will be issued a licence restricting you to riding motor scooters only.
  • If you take your road test on a motorcycle with sidecar or a trike, you will be issued a licence restricting you to riding only three-wheeled motorcycles.
;D

·
1,768 Posts
Also,

** Limited-speed motorcycles — Can be operated with any class of driver’s licence. Cannot be operated on a learner’s licence other than a Class 6 or 8 motorcycle learner’s licence. These are motorcycles, mopeds, and motor scooters with:
  • an engine dis placement of 50 cc or less (or less than 1.5 kW of power if other than a piston engine),
  • a transmission that does not require shifting or a clutch,
  • a maximum speed of 70 km/h,
  • wheels that are at least 254 mm (10 inches) in diameter and
  • a dry weight of 95 kg or less.
;D

·
The Comedy is in the Back
11,948 Posts
49cc= class 5(driver license)
49 and up=motorcycle license
Not sure what all the fuss is about, lol! Youre all motorcyle riders and u dont know what the in's and outs are, you should be ashamed. :p

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
In my opinion, riders of scooters should have to pass their Class 6 as well. They follow the same basic principles as any other motorcycle. And with some of the newer scooters capable of +70 km/hr, a Class 5 just isnt good enough. I've seen some TERRIBLE scooter riders out there, but chances are they are bad drivers too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts