BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Whach u talkn bout Willis
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put on my steering damper and noticed that it is leaking when i turn the handel bars back and forth, the oil is coming out of the adjusting nobe near the bottom. You can see in the picture that there is a space between the nobe and the damper, is this supposed to be like this?

I pushed the black plastic piece down and this helps but it still comes out, the only way i can think is to somewho glue the black piece down or maybe get the nobe to go down? Can anyone tell me if that gap is supposed to be there?

·
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not 1 person out there has a scotts damper that can tell me if that gap should be there between teh base and the adjustin knob??????

Please guys, no local dealers where i am stock the unit it has to be ordered in.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
If it's the adjuster knob then there should be a space but you probably blew the seal under it.

Scott's are garbage and notorious oil leakers you can get a rebuild kit, I'd sell it and get a GPR.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Ive never had a problem with mine either.. its been through a couple crashes, and has even fallen off the bike while going about 60KM/hr (dealer didnt tighten it up after a service)...

Never leaked a drop.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
I've rebuilt about 20 of those, there weak and designed for dirtbikes. The agressive X country riders use to blow seals all the time. Hitting trees with the bark busters in 3rd or 4th will do it.

·
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah i think im going to send it back to them :( they said about $60-80 US to fix............. but atleast it will be in working condition

A

·
0 Posts
hey 5th gear... someone mentioned this to me on the group ride last wednesday since i'm using a Scotts damper. It's funny, cuz i've never heard of this problem before and eveyone on the R6 messagenet swears by them and have no problems. They seem to survive sportbike crashes well from what i've read. and not just on the r6 forum. I've had mine for about a year and 8000kms so far and no problems what so ever. I really like it.

So, I did a search in google for leaking scotts damper's and rebuilding and couldn't find much. Basically, this is the only place where I've seen it be dissed. So, i have a few questions for you since obviuosly you work on them and know more than the average joe does about them.

First, you say you've rebuilt 20 of them. Over how many years was that, and during that same period of time, how many ohlins have you had to rebuild during that same time?

Second, if mine's not leaking at all, do i have nothing to worry about? How often does a damper need rebuilding or refilling with fresh oil to keep it as effective as it was when brand new?

Lastly, what about them makes them weak? I've tested mine out over some pretty rough train tracks that without sent me into a violent tank slapper and almost threw me from my bike. it made the same tracks feel butter smooth and thus wouldn't ride without one anymore. I'm not trying to discredit what you say, i just have some questions and would rather no for sure if it's giving me a false sense of security.

·
Got Hammer?
5,552 Posts
This is second hand experience but I've heard of many problems with the Scotts (and Ohlins rotary) dampers in road racing. They were originally designed for dirt bikes and get too hot under street use for some applications from all the fast movements and the dampening characteristics change when they get hot and the seals fail. Bike geometry, size and how you ride has a lot to do with how hard that damper will work. If yours hasn't failed and you like it, there's nothing to worry about. Generally the piston dampers are still preferred but GPR's rotaries have become really popular in recent years. I've seen a few of those fail too but they seem to be very reliable for the most part.

A

·
0 Posts
see.. now all this is conflicting with what i've read from various forums and reading damper comparisons. I've been reading the that GPR's are failing much more more than the Scott's for rotary style dampers. I've also read that the hyperpro piston damper's aren't the greatest either. If your gonna go piston style, go with ohlins.

Ah well.. i dunno anyways. I guess as suggested, if i'm having no problems with my Scott's and i like it, that's all that matters.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts