BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I just noticed I have a screw in my brand new tires....Front tire to be exact....there is a fairly large screw right in the middle of my front tire all the way in and nice and ground down.....the tire isnt loosing pressure or anything from what I can see but my question is can it be repaired or do I need to get a new tire even though this ones only a few 100kms old.

G

·
use the search luke.

covered about 800 bajillion times. one camp says patch, the other says replace. do what your heart tells you.

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
leave it in

go to your favourite bike shop

get it patched properly

continue with riding enjoyment

·
King of the money pits...
725 Posts
its a front... i would NEVER plug a front. just suck it up and go buy a new tire...

(even if you wanted to plug it, you would be very hard pressed to find a shop that would do it)

G

·
uh, a dealer will gladly sell you a new tire at a larger profit margin than patching the tire they just sold you.

·
Motard Central
881 Posts
If your a sport bike rider, then I would buck up and get a new tire and save that one for when you get a supermoto since they run tubes and that screw once pulled out, becomes insignificant...:coffee

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I've spoken to mechanics who have mostly said as long as its not in the sidewall an inside patch/plug is fine. Make your own choice a new tires expensive.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
Anyone here who gets their bike near the speed rating on their front tire on the street needs to seriously think about how long they want to keep riding.

You want a mushroom patch. It plugs and seals the hole, and distributes the repair over an area around the hole on the inside of the tire. Good for any riding you're likely to do without hitting a track (and maybe then, but I don't have any experience with that personally so I can't say for sure).

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Anyone here who gets their bike near the speed rating on their front tire on the street needs to seriously think about how long they want to keep riding.
Jeez, is "thinking," even in this equation?:laughing

Seriously, I've personally put 20,000 kms on a properly patched front tire. I was "on the road," and no replacement tire was readily available, so it was patched. While I thought, at the time, I would replace the tire once home, the thought never occurred to me again until there was no tread left, and the tech pointed out the patch when spooning on a new hoop.
Checked the air pressure on a regular basis, and it didn't lose any more than any other tire.....

·
Registered Abuser
1,017 Posts
Plugs have saved my butt enough times that I'd go for it again anytime. Like mentioned above, if you're not racing on the track, you probably don't have much to worry about.

·
SM Corporation!
375 Posts
Plugs and Butt are not to be used in a Motor Cycle forum Mr. Especially when you say you will go for it again!

Ha.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts