BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anybody local that knows how to reseal magnesium wheels for painting?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm told you can't just powdercoat them, they need to be sealed first.

have you worked with mag wheels before?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yes,
JUST MAKE SURE THAT THE MANUFACTURER SAYS IT'S OK TO TAKE THE RIMS TO 400 DEG.
this works to seal the porosity.We powdercoated a set of Marvics last year. Then we also used that as thw prime to paint the wheels to match. Check out my photo section. Custom GSXR 750

·
Registered
30 Posts
sparky said:
there are some specialty magnesium conversion coatings available.
Typically for gearboxes. Should be a DOW1 or DOW 19 coating.

·
BIKE F/X
60 Posts
Coating magnesium wheels

sparky said:
Two part Epoxy primer will adhear to Magnesium.They can then be color coated.

·
Twist Master
1,142 Posts
Magnesium

We OVERHAUL HELICPOTER GEAR - BOX'S in our Shop, All are Made of MAGNESIUM.
We seal all of the Exposed Magnesium With ** DIACHROMATE PICKLE **
And they are Painted With ** SYNTHIDYNE ** Paint it is a two part coating that is Baked in an Oven for 2 Hour's at 300 DEG " F "
DIACHROMATE can be purchased at ** AVIALL ** You just brush it on and leave set for approx 2 MIN then wash it off with WATER . It gives the MAGNESIUM a Stained Color But SEAL'S it Completly against any CORROSION
It is a Standard in the AREO - SPACE industry. SYNTHIDYNE Paint only come's in One color ** GULL WING GREY ** So not what you want for color:evilgrin .
Hope this Help's with the sealing Part.

If you get some DIACHROMATE make sure you wear gloves when useing it.
We also DIACHROMATE PICKLE on any Magnesium Part's Prior to sending them out for COLOR ANODIZEING.AND also Small Internal MAGNESIUM parts That we MACHINE from magnesium bar stock such as sleeve's , liner's, plugs, anti - rotation pin's etc.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Machinist said:
We OVERHAUL HELICPOTER GEAR - BOX'S in our Shop, All are Made of MAGNESIUM.
We seal all of the Exposed Magnesium With ** DIACHROMATE PICKLE **
And they are Painted With ** SYNTHIDYNE ** Paint it is a two part coating that is Baked in an Oven for 2 Hour's at 300 DEG " F "
DIACHROMATE can be purchased at ** AVIALL ** You just brush it on and leave set for approx 2 MIN then wash it off with WATER . It gives the MAGNESIUM a Stained Color But SEAL'S it Completly against any CORROSION
It is a Standard in the AREO - SPACE industry. SYNTHIDYNE Paint only come's in One color ** GULL WING GREY ** So not what you want for color:evilgrin .
Hope this Help's with the sealing Part.

If you get some DIACHROMATE make sure you wear gloves when useing it.
We also DIACHROMATE PICKLE on any Magnesium Part's Prior to sending them out for COLOR ANODIZEING.AND also Small Internal MAGNESIUM parts That we MACHINE from magnesium bar stock such as sleeve's , liner's, plugs, anti - rotation pin's etc.
you can also order from Anachemia Chemical suppliers the required ingredients, had to make up my own batches for some Pratt gearboxes.

·
Twist Master
1,142 Posts
Diachromate

NCR said:
you can also order from Anachemia Chemical suppliers the required ingredients, had to make up my own batches for some Pratt gearboxes.
We order ** PRC ** from them. And AVIALL just depend's on Who Has the Best Price at the Time, I preffer to Buy the DIACHROMATE Pre - Mixed.We overhaul the ** C ** boxes for the PT 6 .as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts