BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Back to the OG
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone provide their ideas on a good method of re-shaping / cutting foam, leaving an even surface? Initially I was thinking of a jigsaw with a long blade, but I can't find a blade longer than 2-3 inches.

Other ideas? or can anyone recomend a competent seat upolstery shop/ person who ain't too expensive.
I need to even-out the pommel horse of a seat I have. Thanks.

B

·
0 Posts
Lugan said:
Can anyone provide their ideas on a good method of re-shaping / cutting foam, leaving an even surface? Initially I was thinking of a jigsaw with a long blade, but I can't find a blade longer than 2-3 inches.
A jigsaw just tears up the foam. Use an electric bread knife, it'll be like cutting through butter. Sand smooth with a belt sander. If you're poor use a drill sander with a coarse grit (80-120) or a paint stripper sanding wheel (not the flapper kind) to be smooth.

·
Back to the OG
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought of the electric kitchen knife, but can't think of anyone's grandmother willing to lend one.

source?

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Ive done a couple of saddles now and I found that rough carving with a VERY sharp bread knife works followed by fine shaping using a body sanding disc with a very fresh 40 grit paper disc. I used the blue ones from KMS along with the velcro backed holder. In my case I used an angle grinder and just pulsed the button. You don't want much speed at all. Even a low speed will melt the foam. A variable speed drill would probably be great but you'll have to figure out a disc to fit in the chuck. The sanding disc with light pressure and low speed cuts very nicely and leave a surface that doesn't show through the covering material. Go easy though. It's easy to cut grooves. You want to keep the disc moving.

But MAN is it MESSY......... :eek

·
ignorance + apathy
286 Posts
BMatthews said:
But MAN is it MESSY......... :eek
Yes, it IS messy :p , all the sanding and sanding and sanding ...

For the cover ... use a hair dryer to heat it up a bit b4 wrapping so it would fit with the new shape. Use a electric staple gun to sesure at the back.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Royal City Foam does a lot of boat seats and can fix up your saddle to fit really nice.

Or you could buy me a bottle of single malt and we could do it over an evening. Custom fitted to your own personal cheeks..... And NO I don't need to personally measure your bod............ (shudder)

·
Back to the OG
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, after a morning run to pemberton sunday morning, and subsequent sore behind, I decided to give it a shot. The bread knife worked much better than I had thought it would, and for smoothing, I attached the metal brush wheel (from my bench grinder) to my drill - holy smokes does it cut through the foam! It's not perfectly smooth, but pretty damn close. As for comfort, the pommel horse now feels like a real saddle. Thanks for the tips guys, and Bmatthews, thank you for your offer of help - my but is very happy :thumbup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts