BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

81 - 100 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Cool. So the Bluetooth adaptor for the radar paired as a second phone works flawlessly, no lag? *What detector are you using? *I'm really close to pulling the pin on one myself. Seems foolish not to.

we put on a couple hundred km yesterday with pretty much flawless comms with the packtalks. No re pairing issues, I'm convinced now that was user error. And I've been messing about a bunch with my speaker positioning in my helmet and now have much better volume. My ears are not where the speaker pockets are modded into my helmet. Like I'm an alien or something. I've been riding with plugs the last few days and can hear the comms/music well up to about 60-70mph. After that it's lost to background noise it seems. Might try adjusting my speakers some more still. But maybe I need plugphones or the jbl speakers?

·
Super Moderator
23,549 Posts
Cool. So the Bluetooth adaptor for the radar paired as a second phone works flawlessly, no lag? *What detector are you using? *I'm really close to pulling the pin on one myself. Seems foolish not to.

we put on a couple hundred km yesterday with pretty much flawless comms with the packtalks. No re pairing issues, I'm convinced now that was user error. And I've been messing about a bunch with my speaker positioning in my helmet and now have much better volume. My ears are not where the speaker pockets are modded into my helmet. Like I'm an alien or something. I've been riding with plugs the last few days and can hear the comms/music well up to about 60-70mph. After that it's lost to background noise it seems. Might try adjusting my speakers some more still. But maybe I need plugphones or the jbl speakers?
In my experience, speaker positioning is paramount and in 2 Scorpion helmets, the built-in "speaker area" was not ideal positioned for my actual ears, so
when I re-positioned them, the difference was huge. I wear foamies and can hear chatter at any speed no problem.

As for BT transmitters, I have now used 2, both are receiver/transmitter units with a little hard switch on the side to vary modes.......for radar, they always stay
on transmit.

The first was an MPOW unit:

https://www.amazon.ca/Mpow-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Switchable-Streaming/dp/B00P20TFWM

Great little unit, worked flawlessly but my only concern was long day rides and the battery holding out.

It failed me once on a long day and luckily I found I could charge and operate at same time, so I did that and
all was well, but I get battery anxiety and wanted a unit that I knew would never run out in a day no matter what.

So I recently bought another unit, same sorta thing, just larger in size and has a massive battery life, 30+ hours.

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-BENEO-Simultaneously/dp/B07CWN8Y25/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=2in1+Bluetooth+Transmitter+30+Hours+Battery&qid=1559576421&s=gateway&sr=8-3

The one I bought was branded "Nulaxy", but I'm sure it's the exact same and appears to have same specs......mine can't be found on Amazon now.

Basically the units sit on top of the radar detecor via velcro and I bought a small 3.5mm headphone cable that goes from headphone output of detector
to the same on the BT unit.

Zero lag, zero issues, works perfect. Now I get radar announcements in my ears in real time. My Uniden detector even calls out the band type and unlike
my previous X50, the sound comes in both speakers not just mono in one.

Couple pics of before/after for comparison of size. Both are really light little devices.

make dice app

·
Registered
563 Posts
Thanks for that info. I am strongly considering a tpx detector and figure I'll go with the hard system if I need something in the helmet. But I'm going to ask some more questions in the radar thread about that.*

I have a ckx helmet and it's super noisy at any real speeds. ive moved the speakers a couple of times now and they are nearly down onto where the straps mount to the helmet so not sure if I can even move them in the direction of my ears any further. A scorpion helmet is on my short list of upgrades as one of the models I'm interested in. But I don't think that will happen this year. I bought the ckx a couple years ago and even though it's a pos I doubt I'll upgrade until I've gotten a little more time out of it.

I'll keep fiddling with speaker placement and making sure my volumes are maxed before I change out the 'stock' speakers on my cardo but it's definetly not at all loud to me with plugs in, and at higher speeds I can't hear it at all. I use an app called accuradio for music streaming and am also questioning the volume output that it has now too? *Although I've tried googling info on it and haven't found anything and other things I stream it through (home and shop stereos) don't seem to have any volume issues? *But both of those are quite loud stereos so perhaps I'm just cranking it up a bit more and never noticed the output difference? *I will get it sorted as my wife reports very acceptable volume levels from spotify, so I might give that app a try and see. *

·
Super Moderator
23,549 Posts
Thanks for that info. I am strongly considering a tpx detector and figure I'll go with the hard system if I need something in the helmet. But I'm going to ask some more questions in the radar thread about that.*

I have a ckx helmet and it's super noisy at any real speeds. ive moved the speakers a couple of times now and they are nearly down onto where the straps mount to the helmet so not sure if I can even move them in the direction of my ears any further. A scorpion helmet is on my short list of upgrades as one of the models I'm interested in. But I don't think that will happen this year. I bought the ckx a couple years ago and even though it's a pos I doubt I'll upgrade until I've gotten a little more time out of it.

I'll keep fiddling with speaker placement and making sure my volumes are maxed before I change out the 'stock' speakers on my cardo but it's definetly not at all loud to me with plugs in, and at higher speeds I can't hear it at all. I use an app called accuradio for music streaming and am also questioning the volume output that it has now too? *Although I've tried googling info on it and haven't found anything and other things I stream it through (home and shop stereos) don't seem to have any volume issues? *But both of those are quite loud stereos so perhaps I'm just cranking it up a bit more and never noticed the output difference? *I will get it sorted as my wife reports very acceptable volume levels from spotify, so I might give that app a try and see. *
I think the bulk of your problems are the helmet now that I know what it is. Differences can be day/night.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Sad but true, but I think so too. My last helmet was vastly superior to this one. A hjc, can't recall the model but it wasn't terribly high end. I no longer have it though. But I'm probably stuck with this one for atleast this season still. My next helmet I'm not cheaping out. *I've learned that lesson.*

·
Registered
563 Posts
I've ordered one of these Bluetooth transmitters and I'm wondering if people that pair these to a packtalk are pairing them as a second phone or a gps, or? *Curious any lag anyone has noticed and how it works with music/intercom too. Thanks again for all the info.*

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
I'll keep fiddling with speaker placement and making sure my volumes are maxed before I change out the 'stock' speakers on my cardo but it's definetly not at all loud to me with plugs in, and at higher speeds I can't hear it at all.

i know i'll probably get banned for commenting but i 'hear' this one all the time.. uhmmm.. you do realize ear plugs effectively
lower SPL levels by a substantial amount! a -3 db drop will effectively reduce 'sound' perception by HALF!!

my buddy did the same for a while, until he finally clued in this year and got custom ones with a tiny opening which
allows for normal conversations, music to be heard through. You dont need 'musician' tuned ones as the only difference
on those is that all frequencies get balanced flat so you dont color the sound you hear back.. As a sound engineer
the art of mixing comes from knowing where to place frequencies within the mix. But you'll never need that when
listening to tunes on the road.

yes, noisy helmets will KILL just about any speaker you stuff in there.. its the nature of WHITE / PINK noise!! in fact
in an office environment just playing back some pink noise over the speakers at a very low volume will make the entire
office as private as can be.. there is no way you'd ever hear a private conversation in the next cubicle.

therefore. what do you think will happen when you decide to ride at 120kph with a noisy helmet?

you got it.. those speakers wont do shit for yah, regardless of placement :D

·
Registered
563 Posts
I will say I believe it's a combination of all factors. My crapola helmet is super noisy, there's no two ways about that. But besides that speaker adjustment has made a huge difference in perceived volume levels and i can hear right to about that 110-120kph mark, above that nothing. *Unless I don't wear plugs, then I can still hear the music blaring and outrageous amounts of wind noise too. So I may still upgrade to the jbl speakers, upgrade my helmet, or upgrade to some plugphones. I'd not be that concerned as 120+ isn't where I'm concerned at all with listening to music. But I will want to be able to hear alerts from the new detector, that's for certain.*

edit. I've seen reading back that I need to pair the transmitter as a second phone. I hope I can listen to music and get alerts in real time. Looking back in this thread it was alluded to that this wouldn't be seamless or possible that there would be a lag switching from music to radar alert and that the music would have to be manually restarted again once a radar alert 'took over'.

·
Super Moderator
9,052 Posts
edit. I've seen reading back that I need to pair the transmitter as a second phone. I hope I can listen to music and get alerts in real time. Looking back in this thread it was alluded to that this wouldn't be seamless or possible that there would be a lag switching from music to radar alert and that the music would have to be manually restarted again once a radar alert 'took over'.
You only get two sources. So, if your BT transmitter for your RD is connected, no music, but you can still use the intercom. So basically, you have to choose between music or radar. If you want all three, then you need to look at a non-BT solution for your radar alerts; Marc Parnes or H.A.R.D.

·
Registered
563 Posts
*Bummer. I thought somewhere it was mentioned Chia was using intercom, music, and radar successfully? *What exactly is the point of having the two Bluetooth sources if they can't both be used? *It's my understanding that I could pair both be listening to music but as soon as the radar alerts it will become the priority Bluetooth source and stop the music. I could live with that some of the time if there was no significant lag on the radar alert.*

This would be what I was referring to:

FYI - We ONLY ever use DMC.......bluetooth is dead to me for intercoms, that was Sena 10yrs ago, so the only function BT serves are for peripherals like my phone and the BT transmitter connected to my radar detector......which all work while chatting in DMC at same time, so great.

·
Registered
563 Posts
From what I can gather from looking at the cardo manual I will want to pair the radar Bluetooth as a gps. Gps signals are given priority over music and intercom, but once done everything should return to normal. If the phone and the radar are both paired as phones then priority is automatically given to the last source. So I think from what I understand I'll try pairing it as a gps first and see how that works. Next week that is, when hopefully everything arrives. Lol.*

·
Super Moderator
23,549 Posts
From what I can gather from looking at the cardo manual I will want to pair the radar Bluetooth as a gps. Gps signals are given priority over music and intercom, but once done everything should return to normal. If the phone and the radar are both paired as phones then priority is automatically given to the last source. So I think from what I understand I'll try pairing it as a gps first and see how that works. Next week that is, when hopefully everything arrives. Lol.*
*Second phone and GPS for the radar detector Bluetooth transmitter * *

·
Registered
563 Posts
Here is a interesting tip for iPhone users who are finding insufficient audio output levels. In your settings, music, eq option. Choose 'late night' from the eq listings and your volume output from the phone will be bumped up.*

·
Super Moderator
23,549 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Yah I was googling around a bunch trying to figure out how to boost audio levels for free(because I'm cheap as fuck lol) and came across that.
I have been frustrated as I mentioned before about the audio levels for music in my cardo system and I think I mentioned too odd fluctuations that I was crediting to the cardo. Well I was wrong. It's the accuradio app I was using. I was in my shop yesterday working on my wife's bike(homemade fender delete, did I mention I'm cheap? *Wife is very pleased) and streaming accuradio through my big stomping stereo I've got out there and sure enough I noticed on certain songs volume fluctuations. So bye bye accuradio and hello Spotify.*

·
Registered
563 Posts
*Second phone and GPS for the radar detector Bluetooth transmitter * *
Hmm. So so far no dice for me. I've paired the mpow as a second phone and as a gps and either way when it's on I can't get any music. It's like it's transmitting a signal all the time even though the radar isn't making any noise? *It's weird, my phone is connected as phone one and it's playing music, but no sound will come through the cardo from it if the mpow is connected and live even though the radar isn't producing any alerts or noise? *I'll keep fiddling with it but so far it seems CDG's assessment was correct. Music or radar, but not both? *

·
Super Moderator
23,549 Posts
Hmm. So so far no dice for me. I've paired the mpow as a second phone and as a gps and either way when it's on I can't get any music. It's like it's transmitting a signal all the time even though the radar isn't making any noise? *It's weird, my phone is connected as phone one and it's playing music, but no sound will come through the cardo from it if the mpow is connected and live even though the radar isn't producing any alerts or noise? *I'll keep fiddling with it but so far it seems CDG's assessment was correct. Music or radar, but not both? *
Yes, music or radar is the way it is......he knows this because we often ride together and those were my findings, unfortunately......the compromise.

You can talk on mesh and get radar, but not music as well.....2 things at a time.

I used to know all the reason, but purged my head of it all last year when I finally got this working.

Strange though......I can have radar and chat and Waze notifications and also get my text message noises
but music doesn't fly with my iPhone. If I chose music, then I lose my radar. It's something to do with priority
signals but I've just forgotten all the lingo.

81 - 100 of 151 Posts