BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

121 - 140 of 154 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,551 Posts
then how does a bluetooth headset with a microphone work? :)
My understanding is that certain BT profiles are recognized within the iPhone, but you cannot go into any
settings and adjust or use how you want....some androids have different abilities. Apple likes it's their way.

·
Beer League Racer/Asshole
5,206 Posts
Hmm. So so far no dice for me. I've paired the mpow as a second phone and as a gps and either way when it's on I can't get any music. It's like it's transmitting a signal all the time even though the radar isn't making any noise? *It's weird, my phone is connected as phone one and it's playing music, but no sound will come through the cardo from it if the mpow is connected and live even though the radar isn't producing any alerts or noise? *I'll keep fiddling with it but so far it seems CDG's assessment was correct. Music or radar, but not both? *
This is because the radar detector *is* the music source. You cannot have both, as the Cardo and even the Sena units are not mixers. They can stream from a single source only, and the last source to stream gets called "default music source", so if your phone is playing music, it will override the detector as the stuff is coming from the phone in a constant stream. We have experimented a LOT with this. I'll also comment here that you are thinking of trying the SR10. Don't. We tried it, and it almost blew my ear drums out. The volume level on that thing is insane. I was lucky in that I had a buddy who let me try one before I purchased. It was not good and didn't do what we thought it would do, which was to have multi-sources and have them mixed together, etc. Again, you get music, or you get Radar (which is music to the Cardo, even though it might not stream the whole time, it has to keep that channel open).

·
5,206 Posts
Ha don't ask me, but that is a good question. Google Bluetooth input iPhone.*

If someone figures something out that works I'd love to hear about it. *
Phones only SEND to a BT unit. they do not receive from a BT unit, unless it's a data transfer. Audio is not a data transfer, so no dice. the Cardo is a BT receiver, so the phone can SEND to the cardo. Headphones that are BT enabled are BT receivers. The phone can SEND to the headphones. The cardo is a BT receiver as I said. The Cardo only receives. The headphones only receive. Does this make sense?

·
5,206 Posts
then how does a bluetooth headset with a microphone work? :)
That uses a special BT profile called HFP (Hands Free Profile), and has a special back-channel for a microphone (mono-input) only, and ONLY when it can send BT sounds to the unit.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Thanks for the input regarding the sr10. So far I've resigned myself to the earbuds linked to radar and using the cardo for music/comms with its supplied speakers. Seems to work well. Just is overall a little cumbersome and no plugs. *But I may upgrade to wireless plug/phones one day. Or not we'll see, the earbuds do provide a bit of muffling but I'm sure no substantial hearing protection.*

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
You dont want the SR10, you want the SM10.

i've made changes to mine this week, which i''ll test this weekend
Phone paired to Cardo for music
Garmin 595 to Cardo for GPS
Radar Detector as Audio input to GPS

This doesnt give me a bluetooth channel for intercom, but hopefully works for my needs.

·
Registered
8,759 Posts
My understanding is that certain BT profiles are recognized within the iPhone, but you cannot go into any
settings and adjust or use how you want....some androids have different abilities. Apple likes it's their way.
correct.. that is the jest of it really.. it has been that way for some time, even with the little experience i've had on the matter.

dad has an iphone.. i dont help. :D

you want the SM10.
i was looking into this device as well. :thumbup

·
Registered
581 Posts
I've been researching it and apparently any Bluetooth transmitter will 'override' the packtalk and take priority no matter what position it's paired in. You can push the button on the transmitter and 'pause' it and then your music will function normally but no radar alerts to the ear. Fm radio will work with the transmitter seamlessly.*

I have also researched that the sena sm10 'hub' will work with the cardo and can take two inputs. It's a significant cost and both inputs have to be hardwired into it anyways. So I'm considering/questioning buying a 3.5mm splitter jack and trying my radar in one port and phone hardwired in the other. If that worked I'd get a second mount(shit is getting cluttered now!) and just keep my phone on the dash. I could live with the inconvenience of plugging it in if it meant I had streaming music and radar together. Seems I could 'mix' them by adjusting radar and phone volume? *Maybe? *Seems worth a try possibly for $15 in cables?
It is the sm10 I was looking into and had mentioned earlier too not the sr10. But the sm10 is a pricey little unit though. Dual pack comms, radar, mount, Bluetooth transmitter, odds and sods wiring, etc, etc. The bleed has got to stop somewhere for me on this setup. So for me it's stopped with the daughters free to me Bluetooth earbuds. I have comms, music, and radar alerts now altogether. And no need to have my phone 'hardwired' to a hub like the sm10.

·
Registered
581 Posts

This doesnt give me a bluetooth channel for intercom, but hopefully works for my needs.
I'll be curious to hear how this setup works for you. I'd rather ad a gps unit than a sm10 hub that I'd have to hardwire my phone into.*

·
Original Pirate Material
1,071 Posts

Does this mean that you also can't access DMC intercom?

·
Super Moderator
23,551 Posts
In my mind I was pretty certain it would work. CDG's post along with some anecdotal comments on the net like these ones.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1048946-two-outputs-into-one-input/

https://superuser.com/questions/154997/can-a-3-5mm-headphone-splitter-be-used-to-join-two-inputs-into-one-output

Made me decide not to bother delving further into electronics and risking anything. *I'm a fantastic wrench and very confident in my mechanical abilities, but electrical shit ahhhh. Hate it. *I'd love to hear about anyone's testing of a simple 3.5mm y splitter and sending that signal by Bluetooth transmitter to a packtalk. That would be a cool setup I think. Although it would require the phone mounted on the 'dash' somewhere too I would think.

Just went outside and did a quick test using splitter feeding 2 audio signals into BT transmitter.....the detector and an iPad.......as expected, could hear
music and radar at same time, but also as suspected, not sure the radar alert would be loud enough when music is cranked up......could really only tell
with a ride.

But it works, so that leaves some possible options to play with on the cheap if one wants to experiment.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I have a cardo packtalk question for you all.*

So now I've put a bit of time on this system and I've got one main gripe/quirk which I'm curious if anyone else here notices on their cardo or perhaps mine has an issue.*

As I've mentioned a number of times I find the volume level barely acceptable. What I've come to find is when paired in dmc mode the volume is louder than when unpaired. This is with all volume levels set to max through the unit and the app, with the latest firmware and having done a master reset too. So when my wife and I ride together. I regularly ride off ahead and then I pull over to wait. And I can tell when we unpair and re-pair by my music volume. It noticeably decreases when unpaired and then bumps back up when re-paired. I am often pulled over with my bike turned off, so it is easily noticeable and consistent. Does it every time. If I had the volume when paired available to me all the time, I'd be happy with it. As it is it's kind of frustrating me to know it could be louder but isn't because of some reason I'm either not grasping or the functionality of the system? *Or a glitch in my unit?

I have put the description/question to cardo as well and hope to hear something back. If I do I'll update here too. *

·
Registered
581 Posts
Here's a couple of screenshots of my settings

IMG_2091.PNG

IMG_2090.PNG

IMG_2092.PNG

Edit. I'm not sure why those look kinda huge on my screen. Voice control is off and sensitivity is off.

·
Super Moderator
9,052 Posts
Jesus, I've been struggling with a similar problem all week (I've been testing speakers + spacers + inline amp + foam ear plugs) and while communications is acceptable (I can hear the other rider), I can't hear my music, even with my settings exactly as you have them all maxed out.

I need to do another test ride with just music, to see if there is any volume

·
Registered
581 Posts
Inline amp? *Shit, if I end up with one more thing to charge or mess around with I'm going to be spending more time f-cking around then riding. Lol.*

I hate to say it. But why isn't this thing blistering loud already? *It's designed for motorcycles! *

I'm resisting buying the $120 jbl upgraded speakers. Seems a bit much, but really more out of spite. Kind of frustrating that shortly after I got my packtalks the bold jbl's came out on Amazon Canada for like 40-$50 more. *Like within weeks of my return cut off date.*

I'd be overall very happy with this system if the music had just a bit more volume. *

·
Super Moderator
9,052 Posts
Yup, I'm in the same boat. I'm trying to get away from using my $350 dual driver custom molded earplugs from Hear Smart Solutions purely from a comfort perspective. The fidelity in those is top drawer, however they do begin to hurt my ears around the 8 hour mark riding. Everything is a give and take. Others swear by cheap foam earplugs and stock speakers for comfort, but they don't listen to music, have much better hearing than me (55) or they ride (1) in the city, gross, or (2) don't tour. So not exactly relative to my situation.

I would go with these speakers rather than the JBL's. They are highly rated. Now, if I could only figure out what the difference is between the two lol

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00RW10WBC/?coliid=I1K569BNG6XIB8&colid=47KC1R40BYQV&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B071CX5PXZ/?coliid=I2TK7D59NXETDZ&colid=47KC1R40BYQV&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I'm evaluating some cheap earbuds that are super lowprofile that should not rip out of my ears when I take my helmet off. I plan to test them with some Comply foam tips to get better noise reduction

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0727P1GRM/?coliid=I2QD0H7A9DADIF&colid=47KC1R40BYQV&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

All of this is Amazon, and I am Prime, so returns aren't an issue which is nice.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Interesting on the speaker links. I like the idea of the jbl/cardo ones as the bit of feedback I've been able to find on them is the 45mm jbl ones are supposed to be louder. And it gets you the unlock code for the jbl sound profiles in the cardo app.

*The earbuds I've been using are a little violent on the ears when taking my helmet off. And after 2-3hrs only the other day I was starting to notice them a bit. Not painful but a full day might become uncomfortable. They are the hook over your ear type with a wire connecting the two. So I've got a pair of these on the way:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07NW6Z16J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm a prime member too so thought I'd try them out and see if they were easier on and off. I like no wire. Also the case is a charger/battery. So seems convenient for storage and keeping them topped up. And if they're crap, back they'll go.*

Cardo emailed me saying they are behind the 8ball on customer questions and would be greater than 3 business days getting back to me about my volume issue. *

121 - 140 of 154 Posts