BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Got Hammer?
5,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I haven't had a dedicated dirt bike in years and I've been thinking about getting something a little more capable for a while. I've tried a lot of bikes and would usually call myself a four stroke guy but a friend lent me his CR500AF for a little more serious ride. It's kind of a handful for what I often ride but it had to be one of the most fun dirt bikes I've ever ridden. I've tried 250's and 500's before but the newer chassis seemed to make a pretty big difference in how well overall it worked. I hated kicking it over to start with but got the hang of it after a while. It has a rekluse clutch and that made life a lot easier than I remember with other 2 strokes. Aside for mostly excessive power, I really couldn't fault it.

I said towards the end of the ride that I kind of want one and my friend said he might be willing to part with it. The price is steep for a dirt bike but I know that a built Service Honda is really expensive to bring in. What has me wondering is that this thing is nice now (it's half way through its second rear tire), but what sort of long term parts availability can I expect out of a bike that has a 20 year old engine and a newer but obsolete CRF chassis? What sort of rebuild schedule is realistic for a CR500 engine that's ridden conservatively? I've also been thinking of a WR450, CRF450X, KTM, etc. and I'll be able to find one for a similar price, any thoughts on the comparables?

·
Registered
542 Posts
I would figure most single track two strokes pistons last 150 hrs if the air filters clean and not overheated. Run that bike on the highway and it will likely fall to 100 hrs . Also I'd figure 3 pistons to a crank replacement. Of course run it on a moto track and those times fall to about 30 hrs. Also note with a plate it's likely a RUM bike . While totally legal, if you get an inspection notice. It will loose its registration.

·
Sedate hooligan
1,876 Posts
I was under the impression that you couldn't plate dirt bikes anymore, unless they're street legal from the factory.

.... Though that is not what the op wants nor cares about ....

·
Ride Solo
4,214 Posts
I'm sure you remember the guys that ran CR500 supermotos at Mission--I seem to recall the motors were fairly durable. Maybe track them down--I can't remember the names, though.

·
Registered
18,868 Posts
You can get piston and rings for that bike no problem. The fact it's a botched together bike, who knows about how well that was done.

At the end of it, I'm not sure how much you are paying for it, but I would say buying a KTM300 over that would be a way better choice.... and I'm the biggest
Honda honk and hate the orange bush brigade.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Lol , "botched together " when its identified as a service honda . Might want to google service honda

·
Got Hammer?
5,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is plated. I'd consider plating it for the sake of riding the 2km to the trails that I frequent but that's definitely not a primary concern. It's been a long time but one of the supermoto CR500 racers was Paul Ludwig, and Bart Brown might have been on the other. I'm not really worried about the build quality. Everything that I've seen/read/rode is pretty good.

The KTM is a possibility. The Service Honda is going to be around 8k and that should buy pretty much any clean and lightly used 300 out there. How are the 4 strokes? There seems to be a lot of 500's for sale.

·
Sedate hooligan
1,876 Posts
Ahhh- I'd misread. I thought you were looking for Service Honda to build one.
Still some grandfathered bikes like that out there like this one —*a plated Cr500? Good god, the havoc one could wreak on pavement ...

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
The build quality should be just fine, the gas tank is pretty small for a two stroke big bore, I'd bet it's about an hour and a half of run time if you're clipping along... Although if you're running in the trees it will never rev much and wear on the motor will be slight. Unless you're superman it will be short shift everywhere tight. Highway mileage will kill it pretty quick, they're just not made for it. RUM bike for sure. (don't get caught)

I believe you can still buy a new motor for those things. Parts shouldn't be a problem and compared to a 4 stroke there aren't very many of them.

KTM 500exc gets reviewed as a great bike, maybe not quite the same HP, better suspension when it's set up and totally legal. 300 for the woods.

·
Got Hammer?
5,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This thing has an IMS tank. I did a 50km mostly single track ride in about 3 1/2 hours with a few breaks to cut trail and there was over a half tank left. I still have my XR650L for more wide open country and a GSXR for highways so it doesn't have to be a multi-purpose bike.

I'm not sure that it's the perfect bike for what I'm doing but I was mostly concerned about getting a bike and having to rebuild it all the time with trouble finding motor spares down the road. Really appreciate all of the input.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
trail riding a 500? 3 years a piston.. just don't seize it up..

go through a lot more tires than pistons.

was just about to buy one and plate it before icbc rained on that parade..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts