BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of those of you that do some work on your bikes yourselves which service manual do you find more informative and useful, the Haynes, or the Clymer,.. i gotta pick one up for my GF's new bike and i know Haynes aren't the greatest for cars so im thinking that might be the same for bikes..

:confused

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
I prefer the actual shop manual personally, but have used Clymer in the past and had no problems. :)

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
For regular stuff any of them are fine. But for newer bikes, and therefore newer release manuals, I really like the Haynes. The older ones left something to be desired but anything from the mid90's and newer are a world better.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks alot guys,.. this is actually for a 87 kawi ex500,.. i think i am just gonna get the first one i can get my hands on..

thanks again..

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
try BK for some old used manuals, might be cheaper....I used to have a Cymer for my 1995 ZX600R used it quite a bit, gave it back after I totalled the bike. I have the shop service manual for my '01 ZX6R....no complaints with cymer, never used haynes....

·
resident monkey boy
806 Posts
does Helm make bike ones cause their car stuff is really good

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Just a thought. For that old a bike you might want to check out the Burnaby Public Library. They have quite a collection of bike manuals by both Clymer and Haynes. At the very least this would let you check out (tee hee, I made a pun) at least one brand before you buy.

And you can check on line with the catalog to see if it's in the branch or out on loan. Don't have the link handy but do a Google for "burnaby library" and it'll come up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts