• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Veritas Aequitas
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i'm about to buy a helmet..

should i save the money and buy an HJC, or is the SHOEI really worth the extra ca$h??

here's the deal:

1. i'm a beginner rider
2. i don't have an abundance of fundage
3. i DO want good gear

... so what do you think... and WHY?

B

·
0 Posts
go with shoei...if you get the hjc you'll end up upgrading within a year or so, so you'd actually save money buying the shoei now which you'll be happy with and keep for a long time:)

ps...there are other brands out there...i just bought a new suomy today and love it

·
Veritas Aequitas
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
blazinr6 said:
ps...there are other brands out there...i just bought a new suomy today and love it
... unfortunately not for me...
HJC & SHOEI are the only two i know of who make an XXS

***my head, she is TINY***

·
Veritas Aequitas
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Wayne said:
... If money isn't an object, I'd say go for an Arai, then a Shoei and then an HJC...

... THE most important thing is how it fits. Some people have round heads, some have more oval (not kidding) and one brand may have an absolutley crappy fit for them and the other 'brand' may be perfectly suited...
thanx for your input wayne:

first, money is an object (but safety & comfort too)

second, i've only tried the SHOEI so far but plan on trying an HJC tomorrow to see how it feels. the SHOEI felt nice but i have nothing to compare to yet.

and i'll try to take your advise and take it easy when shaking my head violently at the dealership :laughing

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
i like my shoei and all. but next time i'm gonna get a arai, or a top of the line shoei. the quick release mechanism on the shoei's is great when you need to take off your visor in under a second to clean it :)

·
Veritas Aequitas
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:( yeah, i don't get a whole lot of choices here...

ARAI doesn't have an XXS either

but i'm glad to hear you'll be able to whip off that visor at will when you get that ARAI Canadian_Gixxer! :laughing you never know when THAT might come in handy!

·
glowing ghostie!
3,112 Posts
Eek! XXS, huh? That's perty small awright!

Both the Shoei and HJC will do you fine. Like Wayne says, get what fits best. Both brands will protect you fine in a crash.

X

·
0 Posts
It all boils down to "How much do you value your head?" - I bought a Shoei RF-800. Comfy/good fit/great protection IMO.

So how much do you value your head?

·
Registered
417 Posts
If money is tight, I will get a HJC now and spend the rest of money onto other gears, and later (3 to 4 yrs maybe ?) may upgrade to Shoei. HJC is a good, Shoei is better on comfort. I will also look into other brand names (not necessary around town but on the internet) and see if they offer XXS. Other than head size, you may want to check the following links :

http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=742#post742

Hope this helps a bit :)

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
luckiechickie said:
:( yeah, i don't get a whole lot of choices here...

ARAI doesn't have an XXS either

but i'm glad to hear you'll be able to whip off that visor at will when you get that ARAI Canadian_Gixxer! :laughing you never know when THAT might come in handy!
true, I dunno why arai hasn't switched to a quick release system.... hence one of the reasons why i'm still considering a shoei the next time I upgrade.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
go with a single paint helmet, much cheaper that way, and see if some shops have the RF800 ? it's last year's model.....I used to have one but then it got totalled in my accident and didn't have the cash so I got an Xspeed.....for $199, not too happy with it but then you get what you pay for.....for $199 it's really good....not Shoei good though :D

F

·
0 Posts
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the HJC. Assuming it fits properly and is cared for properly it's ability to protect your noggin is essentially equal to the SHOEI, or an ARAI. The Shoei however is likely lighter with better ventilation. It may also be less prone to aerodynamic lift and other miscellaneous things that can only be found out by trying both. You should try both (ask the dealership to go for a quick ride to really feel what the helmet is like, they should let you). Then buy the one you like the most.

PS-I have both an Arai and a HJC. The only reason I have the ARAI is I was able to get a really good deal.

·
Back to the OG
228 Posts
I have an HJC for about 2.5 yrs now. The decision should be based primarily on fit, but... For the same money, HJC is a better Helmet as the bottom of the line Shoei is quite apparent that it's at the bottom with its lack of venting. I was told the HJC is made in Korea (cheap labor), the Shoie in Japan. Also the HJC was a quick disconnect windshield for easy cleaning.

·
Nutrition guy
1,315 Posts
I have the AC-10 HJC which has awesome ventilation. I would have bought a Arai but money was tight. Do I think HJC sucks? Hell no, this helmet fits snug and the changeable windscreen is a plus. I bought my HJC from Carter for 450 bucks with tax. Try to find a good Shoei for that. You will only find a crappy one with poor ventilation and people will ask you in the summer if you have a sweating problem :laughing If you don't want to spend too much get the AC-10 (the other HJC's aren't that great) otherwise get an Rf-900 shoei but expect to pay more.:rider

·
Registered
332 Posts
HJC is getting better every year, they sponcer some racers now. ALthou it IS made in Korea, but that does not mean it is a bad helmet in anyway. Ofcourse, it is way cheaper than some of the japanese brands, so the quality may not be as good. COmpare Korean Cars, to Japanese cars.....

·
I'm back
1,947 Posts
f4racer said:
I have the AC-10 HJC which has awesome ventilation. I would have bought a Arai but money was tight. Do I think HJC sucks? Hell no, this helmet fits snug and the changeable windscreen is a plus. I bought my HJC from Carter for 450 bucks with tax. Try to find a good Shoei for that. You will only find a crappy one with poor ventilation and people will ask you in the summer if you have a sweating problem :laughing If you don't want to spend too much get the AC-10 (the other HJC's aren't that great) otherwise get an Rf-900 shoei but expect to pay more.:rider
I also have an HJC AC-10, it's a comfortable helmet but I've never owned an Arai or a Shoei so I have nothing to compare it to. No complaints about my HJC and changing windscreens is easy.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts