BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Newb
19 Posts
Anyone here ever brought their seats to get shaved/lowered?

I have a 2006 zx-6r seat which i want to shave about half an inch to an inch.

Looking for some shops or places which you all might recommend for this kind of thing.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
987 Posts
I used these guys once. One day turn around and a good job for the price:

Trim Auto
155 - 4631 Shell Road
Richmond, BC
(604) 270-0020

·
Registered
835 Posts
Had my seat shaved by "upholstery shop", recommended by "motorcycle shop". Would have been fine if all I did was go in a straight line. Should have trusted my instincts when it just didn't seem that they knew exactly what they were supposed to be doing. But totally nice dude and all and I am sure he cared and wanted to do his best for me. But after first ride, my instincts were justified. They shaved it alright but apparently don't get the hanging off thing. They took too much foam off the corner edge thus resulting in that corner edge digging into by skinny ass cheek bone when leaning off. Paid $150 incl tax too much. They did make it look good, without wrinkles etc on cover. So there you go on what you might want to look out for and at least get a feeling whoever does the work has some idea on how to avoid this issue for a sportbike thats riden like a sportbike. If I were to do again, I would ask that none or less be taken off near edges.

·
Registered
18,874 Posts
Here is my advice.

Buy a second seat off ebay or from the chopshop and do it yourself.

You can take time to shave it down using a variety of tools, such as
an electric carving knife and rotary sanding bits on a drill.

This is essentially what an upholstery shop is going to do, and often
they don't want to take the time necessary to get it right.

Go to an upholstery place and buy some 1/4 " foam... like an overfoam,
I can't recall exactly at the moment what they call it, but it goes back
over the work you have done, covering the seatfoam completely,
and it will hide any knicks or slightly off shapes from appearing in the
upholstery.

Depending on how the seat pan is, you can always drill it, glue the
seat material back, and pop rivet it into place. Take your time,
and stretch the material good.

It's not difficult, but it does require attention to detail.

And if you get it right, you can charge the bcsb'rs to do theirs and cover
the cost of your own seat project.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Anything you take off from on top foam will very much most likely show thru cover. Put something small under the cover and you'll see what I mean. Fitting a seat sometimes is trial and error so the diy might be best solution. You can easily take cover off (just carefully pull or pry out the staples). Cutting underneath foam works quite well with high speed dremel and cutting wheel attachment. Just make sure you got a steady hand (best to use highest speed setting) as it will cut whatever foam it touches. Do little at a time and keep trying out by sitting in every position you encounter including hanging off. Putting cover back might be a little tricky as the cover might have to cover a different shape and will require different areas stretched or folded to avoid wrinkles. Might want to get some foam either real cheap or free from upholstery shop and practice a couple cuts as the cutting wheel edge will remove any foam it touches -sideways, backwards, across, down, up, etc etc. Might want a little extra foam to put somewhere as well and can get spray glue (maybe upholstery shop will sell). Doing diy not only gives you a custom seat but fitted to your ass and you can test try, sitting as much and as long as you like. Then just get upholstery shop to staple cover back or if can get cover on nicely and have air staple gun, diy. Probably be cheaper this way or bout same or little more if buy dremel, glue and upholstery labour to staple cover back on...Also if any areas that poke you in the ass sometimes just needs foam beside or near that area only. -I found this out as the edge of my seat dug into my butt cheek when hanging off so I cut the seat pan corner down. This only made the corner dig into my butt cheek a little lower down. But putting some foam in middle of seat eliminated it as it took more of my weight off the corner. A crown molding (fine tooth low height and thin) hand saw also works well to cut on blade path.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts