BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
Hahaha....I went and drank the 4 stroke coolaid... had them all...in the end I am back on a 2 stroke..at the indoor MX they had a great race between 2 equal riders...one on a 250 2 stroke one on a 450...the 2 stroke was way faster entering and coming around the corner...the 4 stroke made time on the straights...the 2 stroke won...

·
TeaBagger
542 Posts
2stroke has the great launching power and crazy power bands, but a 4stroke has always been far simpler to maintain myself.

I like the quieter ride of a 4 over 2 as well, no oil mixing or oil injector to fail, can siphon gas out of any regular vehicle/generator/ect if you run out of juice as well.

XT250T, TLR200 Relfex, cheapo chinese 250cc I got for free.

Would love a KLX250 or similar for exploring some real tricky off road stuff, far easier to pick back up then my KLR650 hah.

·
Registered
18,862 Posts
A couple of points to Grove's post.

2 stroke doesn't have more launching power. This is the single largest disadvantage to 2 stroke MX bike to 4 stroke, the ability to put power down out of the
gate.

As for noise... a 2 stroker might be a little louder to the immediate ear of the rider. In terms of actual noise, the 4 stroke has been a disaster for motocross.

·
TeaBagger
542 Posts
Hmm....was probably just all the extra noise then that made me think it had a bit more launching power then.

Was jumping between my XT250T 4 stroke and buddies KX250 2smoke......still lots of fun!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Between a KX250 and an XT250T, the KX definetly had more launching power.

Generally, the 2 smoke will make more power than an equivalent size 4 stroke, with less weight and complexity.

Try launching the KX in 2nd/3rd gear for a thrill...

·
TeaBagger
542 Posts
Between a KX250 and an XT250T, the KX definetly had more launching power.

Generally, the 2 smoke will make more power than an equivalent size 4 stroke, with less weight and complexity.

Try launching the KX in 2nd/3rd gear for a thrill...
Hah I did a few 2nd gear launches, no idea what the revvs were but they were up there........good thing we were on grass and mud cause I ended up on my back and ass few times hah.

·
TeaBagger
542 Posts
And that Honda Reflex there... that is cool. Did you sell it??????????
Ya sold it years ago to Bill @ 5th Gear, no idea if he still has it but he seemed to fall in love with the bike when I brought it to his shop.

Was an awesome little thing, topped out at 100km/h but 198lbs wet weight I could pick it up and put it in my S10 pickup without a ramp when needed.

·
Registered
18,862 Posts
Ya sold it years ago to Bill @ 5th Gear, no idea if he still has it but he seemed to fall in love with the bike when I brought it to his shop.

Was an awesome little thing, topped out at 100km/h but 198lbs wet weight I could pick it up and put it in my S10 pickup without a ramp when needed.
In original condition they are quite rare. I've never owned one, but I have seen a few over the years... never on the road. They were pretty cool. IIRC, a 200cc?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

A 2 stroke version would weigh 20 lbs less...

It is a cool bike.

·
TeaBagger
542 Posts
In original condition they are quite rare. I've never owned one, but I have seen a few over the years... never on the road. They were pretty cool. IIRC, a 200cc?
Think it was most original other then paint being rattle canned.

That is how the bike looked when I traded him it for my old GPZ750.

Yes 200cc, would climb anything like a freaking goat tho.

Should give Bill a call and see if he still has it around, think he was going to restore it.

Here is how it looked the day I got it, completely blacked out except the rims.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts