BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This would be my frist bike but I have ridden for a year now. My dad's friend motorbikes so I just use his.. Anyways.. Its a 1997 SUZUKI GSXR750. I looks to be in good shape. It has 16,000kms on it.. click on link below to see it..

http://www.buysell.com/showad.asp?id=11279528

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,817 Posts
*should I buy this*?

well, that entirely depends on to which degree you believe you will or will not die by doing so.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems like an alright deal to me. The 97 was a good year because it was the last year of carburation so it's glitch free. Apparently the 98 was so/so because Suzuki still had to refine the fuel injection. At that price it should be accident free or at least in very good shape.

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
I'd tend to agree with DNA on this one...

but that's just my $0.02

·
Registered
465 Posts
Last year around March I looked at a 97 Gixxer 600 with 9000 kms, Yosh slip on. Original owner. Not a scratch on the bike. He was willing to go $6300 but then a guy gave him $6500 cash and took it away!! grr.

The deal is alright for a 750 at this time of year. Just be careful with that first bike.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
are you guys suggesting I get something smaller? If I'm a mature and safe rider i should be fine right? right? :)

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
man, if u like the thing buy it!!! Nothing worse than looking back on a missed oppurtunity.

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,817 Posts
what do *YOU* think?
it's entirely your choice to make.
it's YOUR ass that's going to enjoy the benefits....
...but....
it's also YOUR ass that could get hurt.
You're the one who determines the outcome of YOUR actions.

care to test yourself and find out?

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DNAspark99 said:
what do *YOU* think?
it's entirely your choice to make.
it's YOUR ass that's going to enjoy the benefits....
...but....
it's also YOUR ass that could get hurt.
You're the one who determines the outcome of YOUR actions.

care to test yourself and find out?
The man knows what he's talkin' about.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Looks like a pretty good deal to me. If you're worried about getting ripped off, it doesn't look like a bad deal here.

If you're worried about the fact that your first bike will be quite powerful, just take it real easy. A 600cc bike is decievingly fast, and a 750 adds some torque to the mix. You're going to have to exercise a hell of a lot of restraint and you'll be fine.

The only thing that I would be concerned with is the race-like ergo's of a GSX-R. If you're going to be doing a lot of commuting or long distance trips then you're going to have to get used to the aggressive riding position. Some people actually find Gixxer's really comfy.

When I rode mine I liked to lay down on the tank for highway cruising. It was probably not the safest thing to do, but it was a very comfortable alternative to a sore back.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
It CAN be done but there's a lot of temptation with a bike like that. A lot will depend on what you've been borrowing so far. If it's a bike with some power then you'll probably be fine, or as fine as you can be on any sportbike. But if your trying to compare a cruiser to a sportbike based on displacement alone BOY are you in for a shock....

So what have you been putting time in on so far?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I 1st started out I asked many experienced riders what size bike was reasonable to start out with. Many people said that even a new 600 was too much. However, a few racers said that as long as I controlled the throttle hand and rode conservatively I should be fine. A new rider that shows restraint is able to ride virtually anything. There isn't a huge difference between a modern 600 and a 750. They're both blisteringly fast. Just be careful with either.

·
Registered
787 Posts
hmmmmm.....one week after i got my licence i bought a new ninja zx-7r....750cc's too....took me coupla weeks to get used to it....
dropped it twice....damn was that bike ever heavy....but i never crashed though....then again, i don't think it's as crazy as a gixxer 750....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ad no longer there!

That ad isn't there anymore...it just said that it no longer exists!

However, I don't think you will kill your self by getting a 750. Lets put it this way. My first bike was a little Ninja 250 1983, and then I jumped to a ZX-7. (mostly because when I was in Thailand I rode a CBR 400 around for a few days, and that bike was pretty much the same a 600 cause of the mods done on it)

So I would strongly suggest it, but take er easy for while, just get used to the feel and everything. I ride a TL1000R now, and I could still go faster. You get used to the bike quite quickly, but getting sick of it, can take a lot faster, if you get a slower bike.

Skid-Mark rides a gixxer 750, and I've ridden it. They're sweet machines. GO FOR IT!

Let me know when you get a bike, so we can ride.

D-Mann

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sewman said:
Looks like a pretty good deal to me. If you're worried about getting ripped off, it doesn't look like a bad deal here.

If you're worried about the fact that your first bike will be quite powerful, just take it real easy. A 600cc bike is decievingly fast, and a 750 adds some torque to the mix. You're going to have to exercise a hell of a lot of restraint and you'll be fine.

The only thing that I would be concerned with is the race-like ergo's of a GSX-R. If you're going to be doing a lot of commuting or long distance trips then you're going to have to get used to the aggressive riding position. Some people actually find Gixxer's really comfy.

When I rode mine I liked to lay down on the tank for highway cruising. It was probably not the safest thing to do, but it was a very comfortable alternative to a sore back.
Ok...the Ergo racing position?!? I have a TL1000R, and I just did 1000km on the weekend, and it was Sweet! There nothing gayer than riding super upright, looking like you have a stick up your ass!

Thats my $0.02

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
D-Mann said:

...There nothing gayer than riding super upright, looking like you have a stick up your ass!
I don't know...seeing a 6'4" guy getting off a TL-R (or GSX-R, or Duc) clutching his lower back and his knees looks pretty gay too. ;) I know, I used to have a GSX-R also...but having most of your weight on your ass (with a nice comfy seat) is great for longer trips. You won't know until you try it, I guess. :rider Personally, I couldn't give a rat's ass what my riding position looks like to someone that's watching me go by.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I agree

Harps said:

I don't know...seeing a 6'4" guy getting off a TL-R (or GSX-R, or Duc) clutching his lower back and his knees looks pretty gay too. ;) I know, I used to have a GSX-R also...but having most of your weight on your ass (with a nice comfy seat) is great for longer trips. You won't know until you try it, I guess. :rider Personally, I couldn't give a rat's ass what my riding position looks like to someone that's watching me go by.
I totally agree with you. I would enjoy riding a cruiser on a long haul, but I prefer the race style, just cause of my preference.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts