BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Do You Ride On The Shoulder?

• Yes, all the time.

Votes: 30 14.0%
  • No, never.

Votes: 40 18.6%
  • Only if the traffic is REALLY backed up.

Votes: 116 54.0%
  • Whenever the mood strikes me.

Votes: 29 13.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming back from UBC this afternoon, I noticed several bikes sitting in the barely moving traffic along SW Marine Drive. I do not hesitate to ride the shoulder in this kind of traffic, I shave around 20 - 30 minutes of waiting by doing so. I am surprised to see other bikes not taking advantage of this.

I do not go screaming down the shoulder, I go at a moderate pace, and am just wondering what everyone's opinions on this is. :)

D

·
0 Posts
remind yourself of this post when you are pulled over by a cop that was sitting in the same traffic.

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,817 Posts
If I'm not moving, sitting in traffic, and the bike starts to accumulate heat, then hell yeah!
I like to put my thumb to my nose and stick my tongue out at the irritated cagers as I go by...

·
Jackie Chan's stuntdouble
1,535 Posts
Isn't it illegal?

Not that I disapprove of it, or anything... But make sure there are no motorcycle cops in the vicinity who could come after you.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
vrecksler said:
Coming back from UBC this afternoon, I noticed several bikes sitting in the barely moving traffic along SW Marine Drive. I do not hesitate to ride the shoulder in this kind of traffic, I shave around 20 - 30 minutes of waiting by doing so. I am surprised to see other bikes not taking advantage of this.

I do not go screaming down the shoulder, I go at a moderate pace, and am just wondering what everyone's opinions on this is. :)
dude that happens every time on russ baker way...
there's almost always a cop sitting half way waiting for people driving on the shoulder.

don't do it.. no point.
-d

B

·
0 Posts
i do it all the time...one of the adavantages of riding two wheels...i've gotten one ticket in 5 years of doing it and didnt have to pay when i disputed it....i think its completely worth it, just be careful and watch for opening doors:thumbup

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
I do once and awhile if traffic is backed up. One of the perks of owning a bike....until you get caught.

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
doug said:
remind yourself of this post when you are pulled over by a cop that was sitting in the same traffic.
See that is the thing, if I get pulled over I am OK with that. I will gladly take the ticket (and dispute it) because to me, my time is worth it. And if you keep your eyes open it is hard to get caught. If a cop is in traffic you can pull in, if you see cop on the side of the road, you take a right into the nearest driveway/street and be gone. ;)

I thought maybe some people here would object on the grounds of the possible negative sportbike image, kind of like stunting in traffic.

·
Registered
898 Posts
NO

No, I don't do it. Not only is it illegal, I think it's inconsiderate. It's budging.

When you see someone driving their car along to shoulder to pass other cars, does it not piss you off? I know I get peeved. I don't like other people doing it to me, so I don't do it to them. Plain and simple. I point and laugh when I see people get ticketed for passing on the shoulder (bikes AND cars).

And the excuse about it being too hot? TOO BAD. You should have thought about that beforehand.

And I do think that it gives motorcyclists a bad name. It shows that we are an inconsiderate bunch that thinks we're, in some way, more important than drivers...

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Yup, all the time. If you're not a jerk about it, you probably won't get a ticket. Be safe, be smooth and don't piss off anyone.:rider

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
What about that border line-up? How many suckers have seen on boiling bikes sitting in the line? I never wait in line, I'll move up between the lines as much as I can without being seen by the Customs Nazi.

·
On a soapbox
3,008 Posts
geebutbut

I respect your view, but totally disagree with it.
Firstly the analogy of a car using the shoulder is no worse than a bike. They’re completely different because of their size. More often than not a bike physically can, whereas a car cannot. A carefully ridden bike need never hinder traffic flow or endanger other road users. On the contrary, what it will do is ease traffic congestion. So if you think it’s wrong for a motorcycle is it wrong for a bicycle, or someone on rollerblades, or someone on foot! Where do you draw the line and what is the distinction.

In Europe lane splitting is a very effective way of easing traffic flow, and enabling reasonable progress to be made in built up areas. It is understood and accepted by most road users. If it works there, in an area populated by more than 400 million people, then why shouldn’t it work here.
Well as far as I’m concerned it would, but this is not a motorcycle friendly place.
What I find obscene is a congested highway with crawling traffic and a single occupant in each two ton cage, engines running for three times longer than it needs to polluting the atmosphere.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
It's just the same as 'lane splitting' in California. From what I can tell it enabled those willing to go on 2-wheels the ability to get around better. I think carefully done this is a great way to ride.

M

·
0 Posts
I've been ticketed for riding on the shoulder before. I do it every once in a while, but not often. I won't lane split though. I've watched riders do it in traffic (and felt like a nerd as I sat still) but drivers here aren't used to seeing that and EITHER will get all pissy and vengeful OR will not see you coming and "nudge" out for a look as you're going by. BAD way to get into an accident, doing something you weren't supposed to. Anyway, I also think it's a bit unfair, but not so much that I don't do it sometimes.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Re: geebutbut

I respect your opinion as well. But for the sake of argument...:D

Mechanic said:
I respect your view, but totally disagree with it.
Firstly the analogy of a car using the shoulder is no worse than a bike. They’re completely different because of their size. More often than not a bike physically can, whereas a car cannot.
Simply because you *can* doesn't mean that you *should*. There are many instances where a car *can* ride the shoulder safely, but you'll probably agree with me that they shouldn't be doing it.

A carefully ridden bike need never hinder traffic flow or endanger other road users. On the contrary, what it will do is ease traffic congestion. So if you think it’s wrong for a motorcycle is it wrong for a bicycle, or someone on rollerblades, or someone on foot! Where do you draw the line and what is the distinction.
The way I see it, motorcycles are in the same class of vehicle as cars. If you're sharing the road with cars and you expect to be given equal treatment (ie. respect for your lane space) you should have to follow the same rules.

Bicycles, technically speaking, are vehicles as well, but since people, generally, do not treat bicycles the same as cars and motorcycles (ie. give them their own lane, respect, etc.), I view them as a different class. As for rollerblades and travel on foot, I guess those were a bit of an exaggeration, eh? :D

In Europe lane splitting is a very effective way of easing traffic flow, and enabling reasonable progress to be made in built up areas. It is understood and accepted by most road users. If it works there, in an area populated by more than 400 million people, then why shouldn’t it work here.
Well as far as I’m concerned it would, but this is not a motorcycle friendly place.
It isn't understood and/or accepted (by cagers) here. Seeing as motorcycle/scooter ridership in Europe is much higher than here in North America, I can see why European drivers would be more sympathetic to riders.

It might not be motorcycle "friendly" here, but it isn't "unfriendly" either. Motorcyclists are supposed to abide by the same rules as everyone else on the road...how is that unfair?

What I find obscene is a congested highway with crawling traffic and a single occupant in each two ton cage, engines running for three times longer than it needs to polluting the atmosphere.
This I agree with. But unless our govt. improves the highways or the public transit system we're stuck with it...

To each his own...I don't want to be hypocrite and complain when cars do it, so I'll just wait my turn. But that's just me...

·
Registered
898 Posts
adamantium said:
It's just the same as 'lane splitting' in California. From what I can tell it enabled those willing to go on 2-wheels the ability to get around better. I think carefully done this is a great way to ride.
I've been told, and correct me if I've been given the wrong information, that lane-splitting isn't *legal* in California. The only reason you can do it, and not get ticketed, is because it isn't explicitly stated, by the law, that you *can't* do it...

1 - 20 of 85 Posts