BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't come by here as often as I used to and thought I had posted this before so please forgive me if this is a repeat.

I've been riding the DLL for about 25 years now and am pretty sick of it. The worst part is getting in an out of Vancouver via Hope or Whistler. There are a few other roads that you can ride when you're out for the day that some of you have undoubtedly ridden but many other perhaps not. These can easily be ridden as part of a day ride.

On the way east to Hope, I normally take Golden Ears Bridge ( there are 2 exits that will get you onto the bridge ). More recently I have stayed on Hwy 1 to Exit 73 which is the 264th St exit. Take the cloverleaf north and then once over Hwy 1, turn right on 56th Street / Harris Road. It's a sometimes busy but pleasant ride that gets you almost to Mission.

Most of you probably take Hwy 7 from Mission to Hope but it's worth pointing out for those who may be new to the route.

Princeton to Merritt on Hwy 5A is pretty and not too heavily traveled.

Merritt to Kamloops also on 5A is much the same and avoids the Coq.

Merritt to Logan Lake on 97C is becoming more and more part of my day rides. Scenic, light traffic, easy to pass.

Not much in Logan Lake except gas. If you are hungry, go to the strip mall; you have to get into the center area and you will find a really nice little family run cafe.

Logan Lake north to Savona. Commonly called the Tunkwa Lake Road. I can't find a Hwy number for this. Very lightly traveled. This is a beautiful road although the southern 1/3 is a little rough. Make a point to ride this.

Logan Lake to Ashcroft on 97C is another road worth riding.

I found an old post from 2018 in the Ride Reports section on Hwy 12 between Lillooet and Lytton. I hadn't ridden that in 15 years but according to the report, it was resurfaced in 2018.

Merritt to Spences Bridge on Hwy 8 appears to have been resurfaced in recent years. I rode this road this summer for the first time in several years. It was getting pretty rough but now it's a real treat to ride.

Up Hwy 97 past Cache Creek, turn right at 70 Mile House and just a few Km's later, keep left to go around Green Lake. ( If you miss the turn, the road turns to dirt and gravel. ) This is a slow but fun road in cottage country. Watch the signs to get you back up onto Hwy 24.

Going a bit further north, but still day ride territory, stay on Hwy 97 to 93 Mile House and turn right on Hwy 24. There's a log restaurant in Lone Butte and used to serve great burgers if that's your thing. I haven't been there for a while. There is gas in Lone Butte too. Not much in Bridge Lake. I used to have a summer home there and it's really pretty . A nice camp ground if you want to stay.

One more for any of you that might have a dual sport bike. There is a dirt road from Lillooet south but on the opposite side of the river from Hwy 12. When you get to Lytton, there is ( or was ) a reaction ferry across the river. Or, keep going all the way down to North Bend and take the bridge across to Boston Bar. This is a fabulous road but tight and narrow and the locals drive like there's no oncoming traffic.

If I'm coming back to Vancouver via Hope, I take Hwy 7 to Mission but then cross over Hwy 1 and go south, almost to the U.S. border. Right on Vye Road. Going west, 264th Street is a T intersection. Either go north a bit and left on 16th Ave to reach Hwy 99. Or, south to Zero Avenue and west to Hwy 99. This will avoid Hwy 1 into the city but is slower but doesn't suck nearly as much even having to ride Hwy 99.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Hopefully for those of you who have not ridden some of these, you may now be inspired to try them. They are all worth making the time to experience (except maybe that dirt road on your new CBR). I'm sure others will chime in with roads that I've missed or their thought good or bad on some of the above.

With apologies for lack of brevity.

·
Super Moderator
23,555 Posts
Have done a few of those roads over the past few seasons to change it up.

Still enjoy some good days on the Duff, but 5A and 8 have been frequented more the past few years.

Hwy 12......newer pavement which is nice but still pretty damn straight, albeit scenic.

Hwy 7........been years, have avoided like the plague, traffic, police, tend to just suck it up and take #1.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
you just posted most every favorite road of mine.. i still rip it up / down all of these frequently..

i've done some work up at Bridge Lake, a couple of years ago I 'ended' my vacation in Kamloops..

i was on the bike n' packed the technical goodies i required in the saddlebags.. it sure was fun

getting paid to ride hwy 24 from east to west!! saved the company / client on 'gas $' hahahha

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
David, thanks for reminding us of 'better times' and better roads! you've ticked pretty much all of them, altho I note you didn't mention the northward continuation of 99 from Lillooet thru Marble Canyon to Hwy 97. this has a few fine curvy sections, but mostly is a good place to ride fast on a good road in deserted countryside.

there are a few sideroads that are worthwhile too, within your range. many are out-and-back...

Princeton is a centre for such.
1. the Old Hedley Rd parallels Hwy 3 on the N side of the Similkameem for about 30kms. class B pavement, but interesting terrain.
2. Princeton to Bankier / Osprey lake. out and back, gravel to Summerland. about 45kms to end of pavement. superb scenery, nice riding.
3. Princeton to Tulameen / Otter Lake. about 30kms. a couple quite technical sections in canyons, with significant hazard of rock on road. either return, or continue north on very good quality gravel to rejoin 5A just south of Aspen Grove.
4. Princeton south to Copper Mtn mine. only 18 kms, but pleasant.

near Merritt:
5. Coldwater Rd. a remarkably pleasant way to avoid 30km of the Coquihalla. slow up for the native community.
6. Douglas Lake Ranch Rd. 15kms excellent pavement; then 10kms decent gravel; then 10 kms 'average' pavement, but in the entertaining area of the Ranch. you can carry on for 35kms good gravel and 10km pavement out to Westwold, or just do a quick out and back.

north of Cache Creek.
7. Loon Lake Rd branches north off 97 about 5km north of the 99/97 junction. about 25kms. not too great pavement, but an reasonably entertaining ride to the end of pavement by the lake.

if I get get keen, I might add some photos to stoke the enthusiasm level - we certainly need it after the year we've all been thru...

p.s. is Tunkwa Lk Rd paved?

all the best for 2021!
cheers,
Don

Reactions: syncro

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
p.s. is Tunkwa Lk Rd paved?
It is. I'm embarrassed to say that I had never been on this road until this year. I told a friend from Vernon who has also been riding for years and knows the area well and he didn't know either.

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Border shut downs have made me fill cancelled rally's in Eastern Montana and Northern Cal. A lot of time was spent exploring the Okanagan valley from Kelowna south to the border, along side roads, dirt roads skirting the edges of each range, and roads leading down into the lake sides, and roads heading up and over each side. I found a lot of fun snaky routes, tricky gravel for a big ADV, generally entertaining. The 3 week run I did summer 2019 taking the ship from Port Hardy to Bella Coola, then heading north from there, showed a lot of decent little undiscovered routes.

But there's no denying however the lack of quality, and quantity of street bike roads available in BC compared to Washington State.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I'm embarrassed to say that I had never been on this road until this year.
well, me too. I grew up in Kamloops, altho I've not been around much for decades. Tunkwa Lake was pretty remote fishing country back then... Tks for the post - looks nice - I'll get there next summer for sure!

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
a few photos to stimulate dreams of rides in 2021:

5A by Stump Lake, between Merritt and Kamloops

Cariboo July 2010 206 (Medium) by Don Serl, on Flickr

Coldwater Rd, south of Merritt

Cariboo July 2010 214 (Medium) by Don Serl, on Flickr

Copper Mtn Rd, south of Princeton

Princeton July 2010 006 (Large) by Don Serl, on Flickr

Tulameen Rd, north of Princeton

Princeton July 2010 016 (Large) by Don Serl, on Flickr

Otter Lake, north of Tulameen

Princeton July 2010 028 (Large) by Don Serl, on Flickr

Old Hedley Rd, east of Princeton

Okanagan-Shuswap-June-10 009 Old Hedley Rd by Don Serl, on Flickr

Old Hedley Rd again...

Okanagan-Shuswap-June-10 012 Old Hedley Rd by Don Serl, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,015 Posts

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
not mentioned earlier, the ride north from Mt Currie to D'arcy is worthwhile:

Reactions: oldgixxer

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That bike would probably get you from D'arcy, over the highline road to Shalalth and then the Terzaghi dam.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
old photos, old bike. I ride a CB1000R now, and I don't mind a bit of gravel. my recollection of the D'arcy to Shalath road, however, is of a long, dusty hammering session...

in the same area, a friend recently recommended Lillooet to Gold Bridge. I used to travel the eastern end of that quite a bit for ice climbing in the winter, and while the road is interesting, i don't think much of that is paved either, is it?

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
new bike, new newer photo; one of the 'better' sections of hwy 12 between Lillooet and Lytton:

and the same section, one May, after getting caught in a rainstorm. thou shalt not stop!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
old photos, old bike. I ride a CB1000R now, and I don't mind a bit of gravel. my recollection of the D'arcy to Shalath road, however, is of a long, dusty hammering session...

in the same area, a friend recently recommended Lillooet to Gold Bridge. I used to travel the eastern end of that quite a bit for ice climbing in the winter, and while the road is interesting, i don't think much of that is paved either, is it?
Worse / better than that. It's a very slow, winding, undulating dirt road but tremendous fun in a 4x4 or dual sport. It runs way up above Anderson Lake.

My parents owned the old Tyax Lodge near Goldbridge from about 1950-1960 and then we had a cabin at Kingdom Lake above Bralorne until about 1975 so I have seen a lot of that country. My first recollection ( I was born in 1955) of going up there was having to load our car on the train flatcar ( in Squamish IIRC ) and unloading at Shalalth because there were no other roads into Goldbridge and Bralorne.

Reactions: doser

·
Registered
18,879 Posts
I'm with Steve G. It's all pretty pale by comparison once you have been spoiled. With all the free time in the world in 2020, I still never purchased a new bike. Each time I thought about it, I really came back to the thought "where in the hell am I going to ride it". Sure a huge loop might be fun, but even for a full day out riding and coming home... really, there is nothing remotely enjoyable in my mind. And certainly nothing enjoyable that wouldn't send me home on a greyhound bus for my antics. LOL.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Makes me glad to live where I live. On the doorstep to the good part of hwy6. Edgewood and back is a real blast. Or loop it around revy and hit some backroads on the way back ,deep creek, salmon river Rd, wind back through spallumcheen. Or continue into the kootenays for a longer loop around or overnighter. Gives a nice mix, ride more relaxed on the more populated/minor rds and still yet to see any enforcement ever past cherryville on 6 right through to edgewood.

Great to read all these other suggestions and I'll be wanting to check some out. But it's hard when I'm 20min(or so) away from some real fun riding. All and all I am really jonesing to get across the line and explore more though. Hopefully this virus business wraps up quick.

I really start to go stir crazy this time of year.

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,290 Posts
Just spent a few days camping at Tunkwa Lake Provincial Park. Road is paved and in good condition. On Saturday it was clear of snow (+6C melted everything) and bike friendly, but the 55kph wind gusts were not!

·
To torque or not?
887 Posts
Tunkwa Lake Rd has been hard surfaced for quite a few years. It was sealcoated about 10 years ago, that
lasted until a couple of years ago when it got real pavement. I like the Savona to Logan Lake direction, and then down Mamit Lake Rd to Lower Nicola, and out to Spence’s Bridge for Lunch at the Packing House.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
thanks for the suggestions. i'll be staying away from gravel roads though! lol

personally, i'm done with the whole WA vs BC argument. It really got old for me..
the Pandemic and limitations of made me thankful to have what we have here, in BC.

fact is we are very lucky. I decided it was time to expand my list of hobbies
instead of whining about some asphalt south of the border. i'm looking forward
to mountain biking this year! cheaper than getting a new sport-bike in the long run.

what can i say.. i'm not interested in being a snob.. eventually things will get back to some level
of normalcy and we'll get to enjoy the line-ups at the border again. hahahaha, RIDE ON!

·
backslider
11,236 Posts
we can only hope ...

Reactions: bacchus40
1 - 20 of 21 Posts