BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
going to burnaby tomorrow for my skills test, just wondering has anyone else completed this test on their sport-bike? mine dosen't exactly turn on a dime ( ex. u-turn) i've practised lots on an enduro,im able to do it with my eyes closed almost. Anyone from surrey , cloverdale, or langley want to go for a late morning ride to burnaby? pay for your time?

D

·
0 Posts
your turning radius for the test is based on you pushing your bike thru a 180 degree turn. sportbikes will fit into the turning area no problem. many riders do the tests on their sportbikes no problem. key is counterbalancing thru your turns at low speed.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey man,

I just took my last test last month on my new CBR 600rr.

I have one season riding under my belt, and honestly, it was really easy.

Use common sense, check your Mentors so they see your head moving a Lot, and just remember to stop At the stop lines...Wheelies do NOT impress them.

I took mine on Lougheed, and the guy wasn't that great, we didn't even do a U-turn.

D

·
0 Posts
what's a mentor?

the only testing center where you would do a u turn as part of your road test is burnaby. other municipalities don't allow u turns.

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Just counterbalance your weight to allow for a sharper turn. Sharp u-turn to the left, lean your upper body to the right. Using counterbalancing, you should be able to turn rather sharply at low speeds. Feather the clutch to keep things smooth.

·
Registered
487 Posts
yah i did it in an 00 r6...it was a lil more challenging that those dual sport dirtbikes ppl had...but doable. counter balance n tons of clutch slippage.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the replies guys, i've just gotten in from practicing on my bike and i think that ill be alright. counterbalence is key

·
smokin
52 Posts
I did my test on my Gixxer 750, and it was alright. Just need to practice more and also for the emergency braking, just use your front brake because you don't wanna lock up the rear when u panick or whatever.

·
BADUNKADUNK
1,408 Posts
doug said:
the only testing center where you would do a u turn as part of your road test is burnaby. other municipalities don't allow u turns.
Not true, I took my test in Surrey and had to do a U-turn.

·
Registered
336 Posts
just counter balance and feather the clutch you will be fine. i took mine on a gixxer750 and had no demerits so you'll be fine. just make sure that you look where you want to go.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
Feather the clutch, lean in, counterbalance, and for god's sake get your eyes up off the pavement. You can do all of the other things wrong, and still complete a U-turn without dropping the bike, if you're looking where you're going instead of looking at the ground or the front tire.

And practice! You can go from being unable to U-turn at all to doing full-lock figure-8's in half a day if you're working at it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Dude, I took it on a 01 R6. No problem.
As mentioned before, look where you want to go and not at the pylons. I watch people taking the test and they are staring right at the pylons in the slalom course and they run right over them. Feathering the clutch and using the rear brake is the keep to slow speed riding.

D

·
0 Posts
g_spyder91 said:
Not true, I took my test in Surrey and had to do a U-turn.
was this your road test or parking lot skills test?

the examiner for my road test told me no other municipality does u turns but burnaby. cosworth had the exact same examiner, the test before me.

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
doug said:
was this your road test or parking lot skills test?

the examiner for my road test told me no other municipality does u turns but burnaby. cosworth had the exact same examiner, the test before me.
during my road test in Surrey, the examiner had me do a u-turn
(female examiner, don't recall her name)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i was talking about the skills test, just finished it today in burnaby, i had to wait there for almost two hours before being tested! no problem manuvering the cones. To Chris from Action School, who said that i was no where close to being ready,and even if i was the r6 was not possible......fack you!!! i hope you read this to!

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
cambino said:
i was talking about the skills test, just finished it today in burnaby, i had to wait there for almost two hours before being tested! no problem manuvering the cones. To Chris from Action School, who said that i was no where close to being ready,and even if i was the r6 was not possible......fack you!!! i hope you read this to!
He probably just said that to get more money from you. :laughing

1 - 18 of 18 Posts