BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, I'm looking for some comments on these, which you prefer and why.

I've made these sketches up which need to incorporate a skull and sprocket, or full face bike helmet or all three lol

Keep in mind none of them are finished, only the last one 4 was fully inked so stuff like sprocket detail was kept simple.

Oh and generally I hate drawing skulls, iron crosses and all that cheese. . . but making an attempt at something decent tied in to bikes here.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Shouldn't there be a poll going on here? I think it's a toss up between 1 and 4. With fine tuning added in to either. But knowing you, you'll end up redrawing the winner a couple hundred times before it's finished anyway.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'd say its a toss up between 2 and 4.

#2 is the safe bet, you know it'll come out well,

#4 is more original but it keeps reminding me of spawn.

After looking at them again, I'm liking #3 but I dont know if it will work on a helmet.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
I like 3.... and 1.

2 looks like a halo around his head. haha

·
Ghost SV Rider
1,469 Posts
Is it just me or does this look a bit like Jesus with a crown of a sproket instead of thorns... ...

Can you tell I'm Christian? :p Either way, not a fan of any of them, but if I had to choose, the second one is the least gruesome.

·
1,768 Posts
Here's some feedback/suggestions:

#1 - I don't like the inverted color, should be a white skull I think.

#2 - Looks good, but kinda like a halo, maybe have it touching the skull more? Or down on an angle?

#3 - Nicest of the bunch.

#4 - My second choice. How about where the skull goes from black to white, make that sprocket teeth? Or is that what you meant by sprocket detail was kept simple? This might be my favorite if there was more sprocket details....

;D

·
Posing with conviction
5,396 Posts
If these are to be "graphic designs" I would say most definately #1 & #2. The imaging and messaging are clear.

The irony between the plaintive feeling you have captured between the skull and the angelic halo/sprocket is interesting and well executed.

Choice between one and two is difficult as they both having entirely different meanings.

I think #2 commerically is better. Clearer, cleaner and the meaning is there. The visual cues are commonly known so people will "get it" more.

However, there are some interesting things in #1 that you might want to try on #2. The exaggerated/exploded perspective you have in #1 creates a lot of tension and energy if that was applied but in a different way to #2 and maybe even try to pull up the skull's look towards the camera lens you might be able to create that kind of Mona Lisa bemusement quality (this may not work).

The exaggerated persepctive I am talking about applying in #2 is not to change the perspective so the vanishing point is in the center like #1 but keep the vanishing point in #2, more or less, where it is but exaggerate it more. Think back to communist art of the 1930's and 1940's and the screen printed steamship posters from bauhaus through art deco where the exploded perspective creates that sense of awe, wonder & power. I think you would have to be careful how much perspective you added but I think it could work.

·
The Comedy is in the Back
11,948 Posts
#2 - Looks good, but kinda like a halo, maybe have it touching the skull more? Or down on an angle? and cut the forhead!

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
All Great comments!
Keep em coming :thumbup

Silent Scream said:
Shouldn't there be a poll going on here?
No I saved us from the evils of a poll, i'd like to hear peoples opinions good or bad.

Rotary said:
After looking at them again, I'm liking #3 .
So you pretty much picked all of them :laughing

borderline said:
1 and 3 ..mostly 1 ,,you painting a lid like that ?
No, this is not going on a helmet. If I made up a personal helmet design it'd be more personal and I wouldnt care what other people think lol

BigRed said:
#4 - My second choice. How about where the skull goes from black to white, make that sprocket teeth? Or is that what you meant by sprocket detail was kept simple? This might be my favorite if there was more sprocket details....
#4 was intended to be a splintered helmet on top of a skull, although it would be interesting if the sprocket cut the image vertical in two as you suggested hmmm

heisenberg9 said:
Think back to communist art of the 1930's and 1940's and the screen printed steamship posters from bauhaus through art deco where the exploded perspective creates that sense of awe, wonder & power. I think you would have to be careful how much perspective you added but I think it could work.
Interesting, playing with the vanishing point is probably what I need to do most. I'd prefer it hints more at the details of a skull than be outright drawn out. Creating a perspective that has a feel of awe to it would mean really warping it disproportionately, I'll see if I can find what you'er referring too.
Dru said:
Either way, not a fan of any of them, but if I had to choose, the second one is the least gruesome.
I agree, i'll look at at least stylizing the finished one a bit more. Or make him giving a friedndly smile n wink ;)

All feedback is appreciated, thanks!

·
back on the street
1,832 Posts
I like all of them, but then I'm biased when it comes to your artwork, but I think 2&3 are my favorites.

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
if you're trying to keep the skull more subtle, maybe try just showing rimlighting on it.

I'm could say a lot of different things about them, but I'm not sure what exactly you're going for. (other than just including 2-3 items)

·
Sex Appeal
1,560 Posts
i love 4

becuase of the helm/skull does remind me of spawn a lil bit but i love it.

3 would be mysecond choice i like the skull and the halo a bit better than the others

·
1,000 Posts
i like the 4th cuz i didnt udnerstand wtf it was at first, then i realized it was half face half skull, pretty effin sweet. i like things that you cant immediatly recognize.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts