BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been looking into buying some sliders for my bike and did a quick post on recomended brands etc some one recomended race rails over sliders now in the chance that my bike should take a fall what is going to protect my bike more during high speed and low speed fall???? any input would be great

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
What the heck is a race rail?

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
hmm small crash cages. I've never seen or heard anything about these but I would imagine if they were securely mounted there might offer more protection than just a slider. it's not going to protect everything either tho.

·
Foecus on this
87 Posts
Does anyone know the cost difference between the two? I'm looking at getting something similar for my bike.

·
Why me?
875 Posts
Getting the cage is a good way to protect your bike for sure. The drawback for me is that you might want to purchase training wheels with it as well. If you really wanted to protect your ride THAT much, maybe by a beater until you can "upgrade" to sliders. I don't think it's going to save your clipons or levers which is more important to get home with than the plastic. Great for stunting where function takes place of form. On a regular Yami for instance you can put 6 sliders on the bike w/out even noticing them.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Getting the cage is a good way to protect your bike for sure. The drawback for me is that you might want to purchase training wheels with it as well. If you really wanted to protect your ride THAT much, maybe by a beater until you can "upgrade" to sliders. I don't think it's going to save your clipons or levers which is more important to get home with than the plastic. Great for stunting where function takes place of form. On a regular Yami for instance you can put 6 sliders on the bike w/out even noticing them.
For a race bike that is guaranteed to go down (as in not if it will go down, but when and how) race railz seem cool. Even race glass is pretty expensive once you get it painted.

Guess it depends on what kind of a bike you want to save. A street bike, race bike, or stunt bike. Race and stunt bikes are goners so do all you can to reduce the financial blow.

·
more lean please
1,745 Posts
sliders will bend/break on impact. This does seem more stabile.
if you buy aluminum or other metal ones. buy plastic, they dont bend and wear down when they hit the pavement rather than impact and try to bend. i have yet to see a plastic slider break and i've done a few corners are the track. just stay away from metal sliders

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
if you buy aluminum or other metal ones. buy plastic, they dont bend and wear down when they hit the pavement rather than impact and try to bend. i have yet to see a plastic slider break and i've done a few corners are the track. just stay away from metal sliders
I have seen plastic ones bend a bit

edit: its not the actual slider that bends, its the mounting

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
yeah plastic has its own faults just as metal or aluminum ones do. both can stay intact and both can cause serious damage. both dig into gravel/grass about the same. it's give and take.

·
more lean please
1,745 Posts
regardless. if your crashing that hard your going to do a lot of damage with or without sliders. may as well minimize it with a slider

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
plastic/aluminum, they're only as strong as the the mounting bolt.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
yeh basically slider is a slider .. these rail things will just prevent it from bending at the mount

·
Why me?
875 Posts
There is a large diff btwn the slider and the rail for racing. I wouldn't want to imagine the distance the bike will slide with such a large surface area. You would have to ask Simon if that would pass tech. I doubt it. I think that rail will do more damage to the bike than sliders. You will probably break the engine mount bolt which can be costly to repair (depending on the bike). That rail is good for stunters crashing at 5 mph while doing a wheelie, not 100miles an hour while on its side. That I guarantee.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
That rail is good for stunters crashing at 5 mph while doing a wheelie, not 100miles an hour while on its side. That I guarantee.
If you are crashing at 100 miles per hour, there are bigger problems to worry about than broken bolts or damaged plastic / fibreglass. Remembering your name and counting your limbs maybe?

And in a crash there are no guarantees...and that you can take to the bank...

·
Why me?
875 Posts
I've done many slides before (as most racers have). Lost my last race suit to a big one at PR doing about 70 MPh. Bore it down to nothing. My big concern is where that 400 Lb torpedo is. Having a rail system might give that bike the extra push towards you. After a while, you can control the lowside slides. It's the highsiding that leaves me wanting my mommy. When you're racing, you are worried about the bike as much as the pain. Can't race w/out a ride, but I can ride with a broken finger or two. NOt to mention getting hit by the rail system off another bike into Turn 1.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
I've seen lot's of them break at BB.

At 100 mph no slider is perfect. These devices should be called crash minimizers and that's it. Sometimes sliders or rails will save you sometimes not. But I'd still rather have something than nothing.

Those rails are all ready teched for racing in Seatle.A full proper stunt cage is not.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Another guy on this board was trying to do a group buy on these race rails i pmed him name on board is (deaner) maybe if enough people are interested this could be possible

im thinking about giving them a try,

one thing i did think about is the fact of taking them off anytime u wanna work on your bike not a big issue but just more of a pain in the ass :p

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
as per cost depends where your buying your sliders off ebay say 50 cdn
at the dealership 130cdn

these race rails are 150 us unpainted if i remember from the website

been doing some research on these rails a little more theres a group buy on gsxr.com there going for 100 us dollars to your door with a group buy of 20 guys (not sure if thats painted or not)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts