BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Kinda Motarded
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the weekend I headed out to Tradex for the SM races. It was my first time racing so I was definitely a bit nervous.
Did 4 practice sessions on Saturday and raced the Novice race and the Lites race on Sunday. I had the time of my life and have to say, its one of the best run/organized events I have been a part of.
If you are new to the sport, like me, and a little worried that racing is will be overwhelming, don't be. Everyone is super friendly and there are not one but two novice classes.
Fellow DRZers get the heck out to the next race and have some fun. I quickly made a catchcan, rode my bike out, taped up the lights, taped on a number and rode it like it was stolen.
Thanks again to the organizers and all the volunteers.

-stephen

·
Registered
188 Posts
On the weekend I headed out to Tradex for the SM races. It was my first time racing so I was definitely a bit nervous.
Did 4 practice sessions on Saturday and raced the Novice race and the Lites race on Sunday. I had the time of my life and have to say, its one of the best run/organized events I have been a part of.
If you are new to the sport, like me, and a little worried that racing is will be overwhelming, don't be. Everyone is super friendly and there are not one but two novice classes.
Fellow DRZers get the heck out to the next race and have some fun. I quickly made a catchcan, rode my bike out, taped up the lights, taped on a number and rode it like it was stolen.

-stephen

great to hear!!! spread the word, we need this thing to grow and develop into a sustainable series.

see you out there soon next race in Quesnel Aug.9 & 10 ( transportation arrangements being finalized) next race at Trade ex Aug.24 CANADIAN NATIONAL

·
WMRC Past Prez three time
2,580 Posts
Glad you had fun. I was the guy at Track Entry ushering you on as your practice, heat or race began. Great job I must say, except for that annoying mouthpiece on the microphone yelling in my ear all day. Guy is a right wanker I hear. Stay away from him. He touches people....

·
2,580 Posts
Budget catch can is a pop/beer can that collects all your overflow lines from your carb and crankcase. (I personally have used separate ones for crank and carb but many others do not.) You'll also need a coolant catch can if one is not standard on your bike.

Again the aftermarket companies will sell you what you need but at a price I feel is a bit much for what you are getting. Your call. I've made my own for all my race bikes and like to have fun putting a personal twist on their construction and design.

Other than that the race prep needed is minimal and with the addition of numbers you are set to jet. Do it. It's the best fun you can have with your bike.

Check out the picture on this site for placement and design ideas. http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?t=58333
Note how it is below the level of the carb. This aids in flow. Another place many racers use is the swing arm brace behind the shock mount. Again use your imagination.

Here is one I made for my YSR50 out of a oil bottle. Drilled the top and added a few spigots to except fuel lines. Even have a one-way vent that seals if the bike is on it's side. I had all the parts laying around. I think it's a trick little set up and looks the part. The red "thing" is to stop the line rubbing on the engine case and holing the line. Bit of fun really....

Now don't even get me started on safety wiring your bike. I could go on forever.

·
Just Ride
1,030 Posts

-stephen

It was great to see you out there Stephen and awesome that you got on the podium. Glad to hear that you had fun and all went well with your day. I wish my day went so well, but a bad day at the track is still better than the best day stuck in traffic. Love that DRZ too, she looks trick. If I could bend time and space, I would buck up for another race class and jump in to the Lites class with my DRZ too.

And just a note for next time; if you feel like riding more through the day, you could enter 3 classes on your DRZ: SM Lites, GP Novice, and Novice.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I also taped on some numbers and did my first ever race this weekend...I don't think I rode it like it was stolen though...I prolly rode it more like i was drunk.:laughingalthough I wasn't, I must have looked drunk trying to wrestle the big red pig around the track

PS: pigs can fly ;)

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
A few (dedicated) people also showed up to work on our pavement riding at f440 tonight...

·
Registered
5 Posts
A few (dedicated) people also showed up to work on our pavement riding at f440 tonight...
Hahaha, my chain took a dump on the ride home on Sunday (serves me right for not cleaning/lubing it after practice on Saturday), so I opted for the beer + couch routine....next monday I will be there :rockon

Stephen, my buddy found those spare case-covers, if you want 'em...I think it'd be a good idea to put them on and weigh that DRZ down some more. Maybe then I could keep up to you on track. :laughing

·
Kinda Motarded
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Nick. Send me his email and I will contact him. [email protected]
Great time racing with ya. I found out I have a wedding to go to on the weekend of the last race. Crap.
Also thanks Gaston. I watched you race and you can just keep from the lites class for as long as possible. Simply awsome ridin'.

·
When Gophers attack
164 Posts
Had a great time racing mel22b and battling Nick, Maybe next time I can keep up, but probably not. I am trying to spread the word to get more out for the events. This could get addictive.
Til next time
Ashley

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I have to say the weekend ranks up there with any I've had in my life! It is the feelin I've been searching for, for a long long time.... ;)

·
Registered
188 Posts
slowzuki and onegear those are both very powerful posts and exactly what we need for our sport.

onegear, tell everyone you ride with because first hand experiance goes a long way to get people to try this. and slowzuki, this is the reaction the majority of people have once they have had the experiance.. great to have you both out!!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have to say the weekend ranks up there with any I've had in my life! It is the feelin I've been searching for, for a long long time.... ;)
now those are words that make it all worth while! Nice to see others get addicted too!!!!:rockon :lurking

hopefully we'll see you for the remaining races and practice!

·
2,580 Posts
it's always nice to know fellow bcsb'ers and racers by their real names.

You can call me Sir...... Master......Idiot..... Just don't call me late for practice.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
slowzuki who are/were you? i was calling the races.

it's always nice to know fellow bcsb'ers and racers by their real names.
#37 (XR 650 R) (Big Red Pig)....They call me: Zoltan, "Zoltan, the defender of the Universe" :laughing :rockon

·
Registered
188 Posts
if we gave an award for pure enjoyment and enthusiasm you would have won hands down, the best part is that enthusiasm is infectious...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had a great time racing mel22b and battling Nick, Maybe next time I can keep up, but probably not. I am trying to spread the word to get more out for the events. This could get addictive.
Til next time
Ashley

Hey Ashley, battling with you in the Lites race was awesome. Can't wait for the next round.

This was my first experience at wheel-to-wheel racing and it totally exceeded my (already high) expectations. The atmosphere on the track and in the pits is great, and very welcoming for new riders. I am hooked.

-Nick

·
Kinda Motarded
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Zoltan,

Thanks again for letting me use your truck to store my crap. I hope you didnt pull anything when we put that monster 650R in the back.
Good racing.

Ashley, good rippin' too.

-stephen

1 - 20 of 31 Posts