BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

SMX-5 - Waterproof or not?

9K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  PhilB 
#1 ·
First, allow let me just say this is my first post. There is quite a wealth of information here. Even though I am a Harley Guy(tm) <gasp>, I am definitely not the stereotypical personification most of you may associate with Harleys.

One of the things I do differently than a lot of the people I see on H-Ds is that I like to wear proper gear. I recently got my bike back on the road after it being off for 6 years or so, and am also acquiring some decent gear.

First on my list was full leathers. I got tired of the old leather jacket and chaps or the textile jacket with a little armour I had in the past. This was going to take some time, as I was on a limited budget. Realizing that most Harley-oriented shops would not have what I want, I started looking around at the sportbike-oriented shops. By some stroke of luck, I walked in to Daytona in Surrey and Rob (who has treated me wonderfully so far for all my purchases there) cut me a great deal one one of the two M2R suits he had left. I do realize M2R doesn't make leather suits anymore, but I did see several left at Holeshot as well, for way more than I got this Pilot for:

Regardless, I also want some proper footwear, as my old Red Wings just don't give me enough sense of protection. The Alpinestars SMX-5 boots look to offer about the right features (I street riding only, although I would love to do a track course with this bike if anyone would let me) for my budget, and the reviews appear very positive.

Since it is possible that I may get caught in the rain sometime, and since almost nothing sucks as much as wet feet, is there any reason not to get the Waterproof version? They are only about $20-$30 more than the non-waterproof version? I can't think of one, but I've also never bought proper riding boots, so maybe they'll make my feet sweat like there's no tomorrow?

Within a few paycheques, a Scorpion EXO-700 will most likely be added to my gear stash to replace my old HJC.

Thanks again for all advice,

Phil

See less See more
#2 ·
I've had the the non-waterproof version for about 6 months and it's been great. I've got caught in the rain a few times and my feet have never gotten wet. The waterproof version will offer a little less ventilation in hot weather, but considering that the non-waterproof version has very minimal ventilation as it is, the difference will probably not be noticeable. Play it safe and get the waterproof ones!

#5 ·
Welcome, dude.
I've got the SMX-5 (non-waterproof)---good boots, I'm glad they have a little bit of air circulation. Haven't had them long, but they're comfy on & off the bike. Haven't worn them in the rain though....I kinda think the waterproof version would be a little hot.

Nice bike too. (There--I said it.)

#6 ·
Welcome, dude.
Thank you, sir.

Haven't worn them in the rain though....I kinda think the waterproof version would be a little hot.
The waterproof version is allegedly both "breathable" and waterproof. Guess I'll have to order them and find out. I'm assuming they all have more ventilation than my leather Red Wings, which I've been fine in!

Just called Rob and should get the boots on Thursday, just in time for a road trip on Friday morning. Hopefully, I won't have to test the waterproofness, but if I do, it's there.

Nice bike too. (There--I said it.)
You heathen! Thanks, there's lots of work in that bike, and I guess FXRs are as close to a "sport" bike as you'll get in the H-D line without going to a V-Rod or Buell (man, those Buells are fun to ride the few times I took some out). Heck, this is event the "sport" model!

I was a H-D technician for 7 years or so before going back to school. Gotta stick to what I know and have the tools for.

Phil

#7 ·
:flip:flip:flip Welcome to BCSB :flip:flip:flip , I wrote off my Triumph 675 last year and am now riding my old Fat Boy , got some funny looks when I came across Robs BCSB ride out back of Mission (rider down) , I stop to say hi some old riding buds and 20 people staring at me --" why is that fat biker stopping" :laughing:laughing . I will ride with a guy on a scooter , riding is riding , shit , I would be on a kuahara bmx if I had to . Welcome to the nut house Phil , make sure to get pics on your trip and post them in the trip report section , here is my Pig and My buddys CBR after we got to Gold River

#8 ·
Hey Phil:)

I have the previous version, the MX-4. (nearly identical, MX-5 looks like it has better venting)

I didn't get the waterproof model, but I have ridden in all the rainy days we've had since I bought my bike in May of 2008, including some real bastard downpours, and all winter when it was snowing:laughing

What I did was go to MEC and buy some NikWax suede and leather waterproofer stuff, and put it on the boots.

It's not like SnoSeal, or other goopy beeswax type crap, you cannot tell there is anything on the boots after application.

They have been 100% waterproof so far, and are my favourite of all the bike boots I've ever bought, in over 30 years.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine:coffee

#9 ·
See thats what I like about this place. The diversity in riding. Welcome to BCSB, Good people to know and ride with.

Your more then welcome on any rides I post up. I enjoy riding with harleys. Something about opposites I guess.

I always figured smart guys became harley mechanics, you know your always going to have work availible.

#11 ·
Your more then welcome on any rides I post up. I enjoy riding with harleys. Something about opposites I guess.
Sure, as long as you don't mind waiting for me!

I always figured smart guys became harley mechanics, you know your always going to have work availible.
I must not be that smart: I'm back in University doing a Computing Science degree ;)

jafkaf81 said:
Phil , make sure to get pics on your trip and post them in the trip report section
I'll try to remember, but I may not. Just going 200 or so miles down to the Olympic peninsula, to the middle of a remote island in there, for a private gathering. Not very far, but I'm taking the scenic route, so it'll probably take 5 hours or so.

LBS said:
What I did was go to MEC and buy some NikWax suede and leather waterproofer stuff, and put it on the boots.
Sounds like most people have had pretty good luck even with the non-waterproof version. What product did you use? The Nubuck and Suede one, the fabric and leather (which is just supposed to be water resistant), or the Aqueous Wax for smooth leather? MEC shows several options at:

http://www.mec.ca/Search/search.jsp?Ne=5&Ntt=NikWax&bmUID=1250031740433&N=10+4294964817

The deciding factor may be if they get here on time. Apparently, it may be tight whether or not they get here Thursday. I guess if they're not here in Thursday's order, I may have to get the non-waterproof ones, which are currently in stock at Daytona.

Thanks again, all, for the kind welcome and good advice.

Phil

#12 ·
Sounds like most people have had pretty good luck even with the non-waterproof version. What product did you use? The Nubuck and Suede one, the fabric and leather (which is just supposed to be water resistant), or the Aqueous Wax for smooth leather? MEC shows several options at:

http://www.mec.ca/Search/search.jsp?Ne=5&Ntt=NikWax&bmUID=1250031740433&N=10+4294964817

Phil
The stuff I ended up deciding on was the "Fabric & Leather Proof" in the purple capped bottle. "sponge-on waterproofing, waterproofs, maintains support & breathability for fabric and leather footwear"

:)

#14 ·
Well, despite Rob at Daytona really trying his best, the boots did not come in. He even paid the extra $20+ for air freight himself to get them to me on time.

They made it to Vancouver this morning, but apparently started to go out on delivery when they encountered a "mechanical failure" somewhere along the line. I bought the non-waterproof version and Nikwaxed them. I walked around with them for a few hours today, and they feel comfy so far.

Tomorrow: The real test.

Phil

#15 ·
The verdict: These feel like sneakers compared to my heavy Red Wing boots. They fit perfectly (they are cut quite narrow, and I have very narrow feet), and I couldn't even tell I was wearing them.

I hit a little rain, and my feet stayed dry as clams.

So far, I'd say these are a winner. Thanks for all the reviews,

Phil

#16 ·
only thing I would have been concerned about is how the boots work with the bike's riding position. I know that most sport oriented boots are angled slightly forward at the ankle. This, for instance, makes walking up stairs easier than walking down.

With the foot forward riding position on a cruiser, just make sure the boots won't be uncomfortable as they won't want to bend down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.