BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

The previous owner of my bike went down, and managed to snap the bar end. The bolt that use to hold the bar end on snapped, such that a portion of it is still inside the clip-on. Has anyone had any success in removing snapped bolts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
417 Posts
superiorWANG said:
What do you mean drilling it?
Do you mean the thread part of the bolt was still inside and the bolt has been snapped off ? <--- that's what I understand. If you want to get the thread part out, use a drill bit and drill it out. or maybe I mis-understand the whole thing ?

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
Your looking for a tool set known as Easy-outs. They are just like taps but work in with left hand threads. Just like if you were to tighten a bolt, these tighten in the opposite direction. So when tighten the Easy-out, your actually loosening the bolt. You'll need to drill a small hole n the existing broken bolt just to start the easy-out so it bites. Just turn in the counterclockwise direction and it should come out easy. You should be able to pick them up @ Sears or Crappy Tire. Hope this helps....

atom

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
superiorWANG said:
Thanks Xenz and Atom!

DAMN! I guess that means I need a drill....
YOU DON'T HAVE A DRILL??????? :eek

I thought EVERY ONE had a drill these days. Next you'll be telling me that your whole tool kit is the stuff that came with the bike..... and a bent screwdriver and a hammer that lives in the kitchen drawer (Everyone has a bent screwdriver and a hammer.... I think we're born with them :D )

If this is for occasional use then just get a cheapo cord drill from Home Depot. Don't get a cordless one if you're not going to use it very often. The batteries will just discharge from sitting around and won't live long if you leave them in the charger.

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
I almost forgot.....when drilling, drill a small hole. Just like a pilot hole which should be clear from the threads in the hole. Try to stay as centered as possible. Use a small drill bit and you may not have to drill to far. Try going in enough that the easy-out can just bite into the material. If the easy-out slips, you could always go a little deeper with the drill. Remember to stay clear of the threads. If there is a small amount sticking out of the hole, you could use a set of visegrips.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts