BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an 03 ninja zx-6r, this is my first bike. I bought it for a very good price and im planning on storing it this weekend

1)Any tips on where to get a bike cover for a decent price?

2) How hard is it to change the oil on a bike and what type of oil should i buy?
Also how much will oil and a filter cost me?

3) I need a new front tire, where should i start looking?

4) Since im storing the bike, which type of fuel stabalizer should i buy?

Im new to all of this, be nice to me
Any other tips will be a bonus
thanx guys

·
Newbie Poser Squid
2,709 Posts
1. Yellow Pages under 'motorcycle parts & accessories'
2. Select Search and type in "oil change", "oil type"
3. Yellow Pages under 'motorcycle parts & accessories'
4. Select Search and type in "fuel stabilizer"

Or you can call Bill at 5th Gear on Tuesday and he'll have all your answers. Again, use Search or the Yellow Pages.

·
Registered
193 Posts
have fun staring at that all winter while its snowing out. if it was my first bike id end up sitting on it and reving the piss outta it all winter.:rockon

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
First off congrats on the new toy! She's a looker fer sure! But she's also a serious racing bike with lights so go super easy. It's like you're a new driver and someone just gave you the key to that Formula 1 car over there.

As for your questions I suggest a few site searches or just general browsing through old threads for lots of background answers to these and other questions you have to go along with the info you'll get here.

Oil and filter is about $40 depending on what oil you get.

Any cover intended for a sportbike is fine. The ones for cruisers are too bulky. Check that it has a soft inner liner where it rests on the windscreen. And it should have a little raised vent on the top. Lots of them on sale in the shops just now. I know BK has a mountain of them by Brian's desk.

How old is the rear tire and what is it? It's normally better to replace both at the same time and it'll make the bike FEEL a lot nicer if you do. I've found on street bikes that the front doesn't wear as quick as the rear but if you check you'll find that there's often a lot of cupping (the thread takes on a wedged or ramped shape) that makes the front buzz a lot. So I generally do both tires at once. The rear makes you go but the front makes you stop and steer. Go is optional, stopping and steering isn't. It's nice to know you can depend on the front. So check the rear and if it's got a noticable flatish band in the center of the tread it may well be worth the extra money to get a fresh pair. Lots of tire sales on right now as well. Get a set now and mount them in the spring. Or if the rear is good then get a matching front to go with it. What's on the rear right now?

Fuel stabilizer for our short storage isn't really needed. Just fill the tank to the brim to help avoid condensation and put it away. It'll run fine in March when you get onto the road.

IT's far more important for the battery to be properly maintained. Yank it out and keep it in the house. Set up a Battery Tender or get a Canadian Tire one amp charger and a lamp timer. WIth the BT you can hook it up and forget it. WIth the CT charger and timer plug the charger into the timer and hook up to the battery. Set it for 1/2 an hour per day and leave it until you put it back into the bike. This is far nicer to the battery than leaving it and then charging it the day before you get back onto the road.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wicked help bud
The front tire is almost bald, the rear tire is very new but I just noticed a nail in it.
Ive heard it being not a good thing to patch tires. Should i buy a new rear tire, or are there shops that can do a good patch on my tire?

·
Thanks for that...
672 Posts
Oh... bad idea man. Those bike things are dangerous. I traded mine in for a Honda Fit and a rad pink helmet...

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
Oh... bad idea man. Those bike things are dangerous. I traded mine in for a Honda Fit and a rad pink helmet...
And the pink helmet keeps you safe I'm sure. NO ONE would want to get close to anyone wearing a pink helment unless there's a nice swath of hair blowing in the breeze behind... :evilgrin

Zoooo, it depends on what the nail is like and where on the tire it is located. Many folks have gotten the proper internally installed umbrella or mushroom patch done by shops and lived to tell about it.. :D

I woudn't want to race on a patched tire but you're a LONG way from that. Patch it and enjoy. Or if it's a tire that you don't want to buy a matching front for then toss it and put the patching money towards new shoes.

You didn't mention what the rear tire is. If it's something great then it would be worth patching. If it's the last generation it may well be worth just writing it off for a slick new matched set.

Tires make SO much difference to how these modern sportbikes feel to the rider. And with the spectre of radar traps or possible crashes ever on our minds we don't always have the luxary of racing track like speeds and we are left with how the bike FEELS at more sedate speeds. And to maximise that tires in good shape are a must. The profile of the tire determines how our bikes feel.

Case in point. My new Z1000 came with an oddball OEM tire combo. I just recently put on some Pilot Powers (but the story would be the same with any of the current hot tires of any brand). I now wish with all my heart that I had done a swap for these or similar tires before my bike ever left the showroom floor. I liked it before in my ignorance but I LUV IT TO PIECES now with these "proper" tires on it. Yes, just a simple tire swap did that much.

Again, what brand and model of tire is on the rear?

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Hey man, congrats on the purchase. Welcome to BC Sport Bikes! Patching the rear tire will be fine. You should match the front tire to the rear, as already said, it'll help balance the feel of the bike. Its like having two different tires on your cage (car).

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have a 636 as well, the filter is about $17, the oil will be around $40, new pilot powers front and rear iirc are about $400

why store it? why not ride it?

if it is your first bike keep the RPMs down and in higher gears, will keep you out of the power band and will behave alittle bit like a smaller bike.

·
565 Posts
Nice bike. As Tee Tee said, take it easy. ANother analogy is a new pilot learning on an F18.

Do the searches as suggested, but I just wanted to add to make sure you put in proper motorcycle oil. It should have the JASO MA label and your manual should give further advice like SG or SH levels as well as the weight like 10X40 etc. Higher levels of car oil have too many friction modifiers that will cause your wet clutch to slip.

·
I ain't not no genius
481 Posts
very purdy bike dude!! enjoy looking at it all winter like i did with my first bike. i would recommend staying with sets of tires as opposed to mixed pairs. not just for tread but because of compound and heat up times/stickiness.

·
Vindicated
3,419 Posts
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the board.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts