BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

So you're going to buy a motard ???

90K views 197 replies 75 participants last post by  Comaonnn 
#1 ·
Here's some tips that might help some of you out.

There's basically 2 different types Racing and Street. All of them can be used for both but some are better than others in certain areas. So I'll list what I've learned from building these bikes for the last 6 years.

A ) First thing is what makes it a motard " THE RIMS 17 inch front and back" Everyone wants then for around $200 but in reality no matter how you do it a rim setup is average $1600, brakes which you do need $500 and tires $300 to $400 which equals $2100 ---- $2400 no matter what. You might be able to find the odd used set but the sport is just starting to take off so used isn't very available. Back 6 yrs ago guys converted sportbike rims but they get expensive and can start to break after jumping , wire rims are way stronger and lighter.

b) For street legal headlights , tailights , turn signals, handlebar switch, relay depending on your style around $350 . Bear in mind if you can't make your own wiring harness it will cost arond $175 for a shop to do it. This totals around $550. If the bike doesn't have a lighting coil add another $250.

Pros and Cons of the most popular bikes:

Honda CRF 450 :

$11000 to build from new, not able to run on the highway or extended trips, 1 litre of oil needs to be changed constantly. Has to be rebuilt every 40 hrs.

Fun as hell to ride, very fast , light weight, parts are easy to get.

Yamaha WR / YZF 450

$11000 to build from new, WR comes with a wide ratio trans and 12V so it makes a decide city ripper, decent reliability rebuild once per yr , YZF is just as good,faster on the track but no lighting coil and not as much top speed .WR is the better choice for street and track.

Good handling , Wr goes good YZF is quicker, parts are easy to get

Suzuki RMZ 450

$10000

Not many of these out there yet, 4 speed transmission probably not the best for high speed, but it does haul ass on the track . Engine reliabity seems to be decent rebuild at least once per year.

Cheapest of the 450's to buy, has a lighting coil , very competitive with the Honda

KTM

$10000 to $14000 depending on model

Not known for reliabilty, they seem to break down the most of any model. Parts can be a problem but it's getting better. Parts are expensive compared to Jap bikes but only 20% more on average.

Factory built motards 450 /525 , there set up right from the factory with good rims , tires , suspension and brakes, can with minimal work be made streetlegal because you can get factory wiring kits. There fast and handle amazing.

Suzuki DRZ 400 motard and Dirt

$7500 plus another $1500 to $2000 make it go fast
$9500 for the dirt version

Factory bike is a really good entry level bike, you could probably go across Canada at 100 km/h with no problems. The dirt version is about 50 lbs lighter, different carb, pipe , suspension and compression. It's a toss up between the 2 the street version is a great put around town bike with the odd track days. But you will spend the $2000 within a month to make it better .The dirt version is way more fun to ride and aftermarket parts list is massive. These bikes stock are 28hp, with mods they can get up to 58 hp. We rode a dirt version for 4 years with mods and it never to this day has had problems. Although every other bike on this list will dominate it in a race.

Husqvarna 450 / 510

$7900 to $8900 new, not as well known in North America but huge over seas, parts are easier to get than KTM but not as easy as the Jap bikes. Good streetbikes not a good highway distance runner.

Damn sexy looking bike, very easy to work on there designed for ISDE competition. Which means they come apart quickly with minimal tools. I'm biased on these bikes because I sell them, bang for the buck there really good
Husky built the best race bikes back in the 70's and are known for quality.

Honda XR 650 R dirt version $10000 plus

Heavy pig for racing. No electric start learn to kick a big bore.

Probably one of the few motards to be able to run full throttle for hrs without problems. Very tough bike, they were built to win the Baha and there's a huge following of hop ups and cool stuff for them. Great around town and general play bike. Lot's of used ones available in dualsport trim which means all you need is 17 inch tires which can also be found used sometimes.

Either way these bikes are FUN FUN FUN , there very easy to ride they out handle a sportbike, when you crash theres almost no damage and a 98% chance you'll drive away from it. It's one of the fastest growing form of motorsports out there and there's a reason for it:

" YOU MEET THE NICEST PEOPLE ON A MOTARD "

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Nice write up Bill (And happy birthday) I'm sure it will be very usefull to many. But sometimes the best part is learning by trial and error hich is best. The more I read the more I want to get a motard. If only the finaces were there. Or if I had thought about it bfore I bought my RR

#7 ·
Good write up.....till ya called my bike a "PIG" hummmm I would ride a bike like yours, but I would have to shoehorn it outta my ass when I wanted to get off it ? Samsquach say's Happy Birth Day :rockon

#9 ·
competition bikes [ 525's 510's crf 450 wr450 ] I know I'm missing a whole bunch, but I bet you get the idea ? these are made mostly for competition, on and off the gas in 20-45 min intervals, you see where I'm going on this ? they just can't put up with a constiant pull on them for hours on end . That's why I picked the 650R it LOVES to go & go & go &go . Don't get me wrong , you can do a 450 or 510 or 525 but you better pick up a tranny kit for it kuzz it's gunna need it if you long haul on it .

#13 ·
HONDA CR 500. 1989-2001-
MOST POWER, GREAT FOR EXTENDED HI WAY OR NIGHT RIPS IN THE CITY.
CHEAP AND EASY TO REBUILD (ANNUALLY).

$999-$4500 ON EBAY EVERY DAY.
2004- CR 500 Aluminum frame (CRF 450 04-05) $6500 EVERY DAY.
Add $2000 for rims and brakes.
Add 300 for lights
Add THROTTLE FOR MILES OF SMILES
COPS LOVE IT!
$7000 will get you one bad ass SM.

#14 ·
Po-Boyz said:
HONDA CR 500. 1989-2001-
MOST POWER, GREAT FOR EXTENDED HI WAY OR NIGHT RIPS IN THE CITY.
CHEAP AND EASY TO REBUILD (ANNUALLY).

$999-$4500 ON EBAY EVERY DAY.
2004- CR 500 Aluminum frame (CRF 450 04-05) $6500 EVERY DAY.
Add $2000 for rims and brakes.
Add 300 for lights
Add THROTTLE FOR MILES OF SMILES
COPS LOVE IT!
$7000 will get you one bad ass SM.
Or for $59 you could by 2 vibrators and hold them like handlebars

#22 ·
Tell me if my question is totally stupid... but i am really interested in getting a supermoto, however I want a bike i can make long trips and travel on, and possibly hit dirt roads and such. I am really looking into a KLR 650 for my purposes, carrying my camping gear and all that. My question is could I get the supermoto stuff for a KLR when i just want to bomb around the city or stick to paved roads? I never really thought of it until I saw the XR 650 on your list.

Thanks a lot.

#23 ·
Bill, I have a question about the Huskys. I know that they come factory in SM format. However, I don't just want a SM for the summer, I also want a dirt machine for the non-track rainy winter weekends. So...based on that, can you dirt up a Husky? Would I want to do that? Or should I just get 2?

The problem is, the GF wants a dirtbike and SM too...so that would make 4 more bikes! I'm really really wanting one bad now!

#25 ·
SnoDragon said:
Bill, I have a question about the Huskys. I know that they come factory in SM format. However, I don't just want a SM for the summer, I also want a dirt machine for the non-track rainy winter weekends. So...based on that, can you dirt up a Husky? Would I want to do that? Or should I just get 2?

The problem is, the GF wants a dirtbike and SM too...so that would make 4 more bikes! I'm really really wanting one bad now!

04 KTM 525 exc came from the factory with Motard and dirt set ups as part of the package. It takes me maybe an hour to change over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.