BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

181 - 198 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Been reading everything here and still undecided what SM to get.

Looking for a used, light weight SM 250-450 or so that is street legal and good off road. My priority is track days and off road trips. I'll only ride it on the street to get to a trail. I'll use a trailer to take it to the track.

I'd like a dual purpose bike that I can ride both on the dirt and on a track with just a quick swap of tires.

Any bikes in the 250-450 category fit that bill?

Thx
Raz

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Been reading everything here and still undecided what SM to get.

Looking for a used, light weight SM 250-450 or so that is street legal and good off road. My priority is track days and off road trips. I'll only ride it on the street to get to a trail. I'll use a trailer to take it to the track.
a bike thats good for track days and off road doesnt exist. pick which you want, and buy a bike thats good for that, and then save and buy a bike thats good for the other.

·
Registered
100 Posts
a bike thats good for track days and off road doesnt exist. pick which you want, and buy a bike thats good for that, and then save and buy a bike thats good for the other.
I should probably have told you a little bit more about my needs. I've got too many bikes already, so getting a specialized bike for both the track and dirt is not something I can do right now for lack of space and money.

On the bigger tracks, I'll ride my CBR1000. But I want something for the smaller tracks and something less powerful so I can learn to control the rear end slide a bit better. I'm a middle of the A group rider with the CBR (and even with my old SV650) and can keep up with the fastest guys in braking and in the turns, but on exit is where I lose them. That's why I want a SM, for rear traction feel and control. I don't care about winning anything, and I won't be racing it for sure.

For the dirt, I'm just going out to have a little fun and maybe an overnight fishing trip. Again, I don't need anything super specialized. I'd just like a bike where I can do both with only a swap of tires.

I'm now looking for an DRZ400 or Yamaha WR450F. Does anyone know if the 450F is street legal or how easily it can be made street legal? I can also go smaller like an the Kawi KXL250S but I'm afraid it will be underpowered for me on the track. But if the fun factor and utility are just as good, I don't really care. I'm open to anything.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
A properly setup track supermoto with 17s is going to suck offroad. riding on fire roads and groomed trails will be ok, but it will at best be harsh and frustrating on trails.

WR make a good supermoto, however i've been told they are proned to overheat (which sucks for trail bikes and commuting). a DRZ will also be less than half the insurance cost being 400cc.

·
Registered
100 Posts
A properly setup track supermoto with 17s is going to suck offroad. riding on fire roads and groomed trails will be ok, but it will at best be harsh and frustrating on trails.

WR make a good supermoto, however i've been told they are proned to overheat (which sucks for trail bikes and commuting). a DRZ will also be less than half the insurance cost being 400cc.
Can I not swap out the wheels easily to have a bike that does both? Or does that entail changing a whole host of other things like brake calipers etc.?

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Can I not swap out the wheels easily to have a bike that does both? Or does that entail changing a whole host of other things like brake calipers etc.?
you can, but its a bit of a pain. You're also going to end up with a chain that fits a sprocket for road gearing or offroad gearing. If the triples are for the 17, you'll end up with slightly messed up handling when the larger front is on.
you can run a 320mm front rotor on both, you'll just want to be careful offroad.

·
Sedate hooligan
1,876 Posts
What I had done was get a full fork/wheel/brake/sprocket setup for my sumo. Just swap out the forks with the wheel already installed, swap the back wheel with sprocket and rotor installed, and voila! Rear shock needs some adjusting, but you get the picture.
Best for middle-size tracks ... maybe look at getting a husky TE510/husabergFE570 and getting sumo setups for them, or vice-versa.

Like this one: You're halfway there. just find some SMR forks and brakes, maybe rear sprocket and chain, and you're golden.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/mcy/5251998442.html

·
Registered
303 Posts
What is the difference in the forks? Just heavier springs? As to the front end, couldn't you just drop the forks a bit to speed up the steering? I assume that is the goal...

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
What is the difference in the forks? Just heavier springs? As to the front end, couldn't you just drop the forks a bit to speed up the steering? I assume that is the goal...
It would be interesting if anybody has the knowledge to share...?

I assume the goal would be to keep the attitude (geometry) of the bike on the pavement stable...?
So, stiffer springs front and back, more preload on the springs (to get the bike back up to desired attitude), more compression damping to keep the forks from compressing on braking (to keep the back wheel on the ground), more compression damping in the shock (to limit the acceleration squat), less rebound damping (to get the bike back up to desired attitude)... and a bunch of stuff I have no idea about...

Sumo forks should come more or less set up for pavement, and maybe a radial brake caliper mount...

Dirt forks are set up really different to be compliant for rough terrain... ie: relatively light springs/preload, light compression damping... in order for the wheels to maintain contact with the ground.

17 inch wheel lowered the front end almost 1 1/2 inches and quickened the steering quite a bit for me. I ride mostly dirt and haven't dedicated a suspension to sumo (just close the fork subtanks on the street). It would be interesting to hear from somebody that actually knows...

·
Trackside
151 Posts
Maybe I can help. What you're asking about obviously requires compromise. If you have a trailer, my advice is to give up on the street legal part, and buy a nice 450 MX bike. Then buy a set of 17" wheels/tires with a brake kit and you'll have a very fast bike on the tighter tracks, and a very fast off-road machine when you swap the 21/19" wheels back. The suspension is another compromise as the stiffer you go for track use, the rougher the off-roading gets, but many races were won at the Tradex on stock suspension.
If you have to have something street legal, go with a DRZ400SM. I've owned one, raced one, and ridden it on the street too. You can buy a set of 21/18" or 21/19" rims for off-road use. As a roadracer you probably are used to swapping wheels.
As for the question about forks, like I said above, many races were won at the Tradex using stock suspension. You can change the valving & spring rates if you want and it will gain you a little, but in my experience it can be overrated and harder to get set up so it works in different conditions.
Supermoto as a sport is really one big compromise.

·
Registered
303 Posts
As far as rear wheel swaps go, Kawasaki sucks (dirt and street: I have a KLX450r and a ZX6, had a ZX10r) Suzuki sucked (Gixxer 600) and KTM is a dream (often done in under 3 minutes). I fucking hate changing the back tire on my KLX, and with it was a KTM for only this reason. Other than that the KLX450r is awesome.

My Aprilia parts shipped to day, so I should have that bike on the road by spring. As a purpose built Sumo, it will be interesting to contrast the SVX550 with the KLX.

181 - 198 of 198 Posts