BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

61 - 80 of 198 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,666 Posts
I hear ya getoffdagrid. That is my biggest worry, that I sell mine get a SM and regret it...
Well, it sounds like you've already made your decision, but I would urge you to take Bradley's bike out for a ride before committing. I think it's rare that someone would get a motard and later regret it...but you never know. The only downsides I can see to the SM are that you can't (comfortably) do the long highway type rides or fullsize racetracks. Other than that, they win in pretty much every other category.

I am now 'tard-less, and that's specifically because I wanted to get back to riding the big tracks again this season. But I'm already about 98% sure I'll be back on a 'tard for the following season.

·
Gearing Up
445 Posts
I hear ya getoffdagrid. That is my biggest worry, that I sell mine get a SM and regret it. The problem is I've never riden a SM and haven't riden a dirtbike in 20+ yrs so it's going to be a leap of faith. Sure I could take one for a 20 minute test ride but with my limited experience I don't know if I can trust my initial impression to last for any real length of time. I could get on one and initially love it (or hate it) but without owning one I won't know what my long term feeling would be.

There's no way the wife would go for me owning both or me justifying tieing up the necessary amount cash either so that options out.
All you need to know is this: a motard on the street is the funnest bike you can possibly have up to about 120 km/h. after that its starting to get out of its element, but sportbikes aren't fun until you're doing 120 km/h anyway. I used to have 2 R6s, and aggressively flogged them around Mission as well. Supermotos also make great commuters if you have a lower maintenance motor (non race oriented like a CRF450) but if you've got the cash to pay for the higher maintenance costs of running a CRF on the street, oh man are you going to have fun. I never rode my R6 again after buying my SM. It lasted a little while in the garage before I sold it. SM bikes make going 40 km/h really really fun again. Thats the speed that sportbikes are still feeling heavy and wallowy in comparison. And the wheelie factor makes an SM off the hook. I took my CRF to mission and was it ever fun getting sideways and lane blocking all the sportbike guys, as you can stuff any sportbike on the brakes and then muscle them off the race line with your long, skinny front end. Fun fun fun. I'm addicted for life.

·
Motard Central
881 Posts
All you need to know is this: a motard on the street is the funnest bike you can possibly have up to about 120 km/h. after that its starting to get out of its element, but sportbikes aren't fun until you're doing 120 km/h anyway. I used to have 2 R6s, and aggressively flogged them around Mission as well. Supermotos also make great commuters if you have a lower maintenance motor (non race oriented like a CRF450) but if you've got the cash to pay for the higher maintenance costs of running a CRF on the street, oh man are you going to have fun. I never rode my R6 again after buying my SM. It lasted a little while in the garage before I sold it. SM bikes make going 40 km/h really really fun again. Thats the speed that sportbikes are still feeling heavy and wallowy in comparison. And the wheelie factor makes an SM off the hook. I took my CRF to mission and was it ever fun getting sideways and lane blocking all the sportbike guys, as you can stuff any sportbike on the brakes and then muscle them off the race line with your long, skinny front end. Fun fun fun. I'm addicted for life.
Couldn't have said it better myself :rockon

·
MoToSucCubUS
1,784 Posts
I hear ya getoffdagrid. That is my biggest worry, that I sell mine get a SM and regret it. The problem is I've never riden a SM and haven't riden a dirtbike in 20+ yrs so it's going to be a leap of faith. Sure I could take one for a 20 minute test ride but with my limited experience I don't know if I can trust my initial impression to last for any real length of time. I could get on one and initially love it (or hate it) but without owning one I won't know what my long term feeling would be.

There's no way the wife would go for me owning both or me justifying tieing up the necessary amount cash either so that options out.
it only took 10 mins for me to know i wanted one. bikes come and go, might as well broaden the experience!

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Don't forgot the Crackers & Binners Alley Assaults........

"HELLO VANCOUVER"!!!!!!:evilgrin

(now if it would just fucking stop snowing.......)

Nice Avatar Morrow. I put that lettering on that pic a while ago and posted it it in an SM thread around here a while ago. Good to see its getting put to good use :rockon

Tards are a hoot. I have a blast everytime i get on my 450. I owned a ZX9 for about half the summer last year and rode it a little bit. As great of a bike as the 9 is it wasnt half as fun as my tard. It felt like I was riding a barge everytime I got on it after riding my Husky. I`ll always have a Sportbike of some sort, but now that Ive got my Tard I have to say I`ll always have a Tard too.

·
Motard Noob
59 Posts
a new moto tard for me!

hey guys! been outta the bike game for a while 'cause i was hit by a drunk chick 5 years ago and have been scared s4i+less of sportbikes ever since. have since had a YZ250 for bootin' around on with no probs so i thought my best bet for gettin' back on the street would be an SM. checked out the DRZ new at the dealership and they want mid 7's PLUS freight and pdi of course. was thinkin' about modding a used (possibly 04 or 05 for around 5500 plus modding costs) WR but i kinda like the idea of a keyed ignition. can anyone give me more info on these Huskies? how "street" are they? what a new one gonna set me back?

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I love my 610 SMR , come by the shop and take it for a ride. All your answers will be answered in about 30 seconds. There $8300 new and no BS documentation, PDI , freight... fees.

·
Posing with conviction
5,384 Posts
Too bad a drunk has scared you off sportbikes...hopefully you'll get over that.

Been moving towards the tard myself as a second bike. All things point towards the Husky. You will find lots here on Supermotards and the Husky SM. 5th Gear is a good shop too. Great thing about the Husky is you don't have to mod it right off the bat. It's equipped ready to tard on.

·
Blue Power Ranger
498 Posts
I come to this section of BCSB every day...

I constantly google sites and pictures of motards...

I daydream of myself ripping around on one...

AND I HAVEN'T EVEN RIDDEN ONE YET.

I think I need to go test ride one, and depending on that, will highly consider selling my R6 this summer and get motarded.

Anybody care to explain the big differences, pros/cons between the husky 450 and the 610???

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I have both bikes, just come by and try them out. All answers are easily answered this way.

·
more lean please
1,745 Posts
I come to this section of BCSB every day...

I constantly google sites and pictures of motards...

I daydream of myself ripping around on one...

AND I HAVEN'T EVEN RIDDEN ONE YET.

I think I need to go test ride one, and depending on that, will highly consider selling my R6 this summer and get motarded.

Anybody care to explain the big differences, pros/cons between the husky 450 and the 610???

i'm with him, except i love doing long trips so it will have to be a second bike and money just isnt there right now :(

·
es ist orange und bellt
1,784 Posts
If your coming to this site to get your Supermoto fix????....your on the wrong site. Go to supermotojunkie. You'll be making an appointment with your local lending institute for your new love of your life!

61 - 80 of 198 Posts