BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm appealing to the good nature of my fellow bikers for the chance that someone can help me out of a major bind!.

My bike has been running like crap since 2007, high RPM stumble, stalling at idle, all sorts of issues. I have the bike in with Mike at MAS dyno to have it tuned and see whats goin on.

After going through the bike for probable causes he believes it is a bad ECU. The only way to check if this is the problem is to swap in a working ECU and see if the problem goes away. I have called all the local shops and scrap yards, the shops don't have one to lend and the scrap yards just want to sell me one for $200... Now this may not fix the problem, so shelling out 200 dollars for a maybe isn't ideal.

If anyone with a 2003 or 2004 Yamaha R6 would be kind enough to let me borrow their ECU for a day... a few hours... you can come with me if you dont' believe me, I would be more than greatful.

Hopefully someone can help.

Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure if the 05' will work or not. I know that they changed the throttle body size and added a couple of horsepower to the bike. Let me do some research and I will let you know

Thanks for replying

·
awful human
3,139 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm appealing to the good nature of my fellow bikers for the chance that someone can help me out of a major bind!.

My bike has been running like crap since 2007, high RPM stumble, stalling at idle, all sorts of issues. I have the bike in with Mike at MAS dyno to have it tuned and see whats goin on.

After going through the bike for probable causes he believes it is a bad ECU. The only way to check if this is the problem is to swap in a working ECU and see if the problem goes away. I have called all the local shops and scrap yards, the shops don't have one to lend and the scrap yards just want to sell me one for $200... Now this may not fix the problem, so shelling out 200 dollars for a maybe isn't ideal.

If anyone with a 2003 or 2004 Yamaha R6 would be kind enough to let me borrow their ECU for a day... a few hours... you can come with me if you dont' believe me, I would be more than greatful.

Hopefully someone can help.

Thanks

Matt
Swapping in a different ECU is relatively easy and doesn't take a lot of time to do, but I suspect it is a coil pack problem.

I hope you find the problem easily

:ghost

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know the US bikes had a coil recall on the Denso coils where they replaced them with Mitsubishi coils. I already have the Mitsu's and they looked good with no burning last time they were out.

It is a thought that it could be them though. I think when you have a coil failure the bike will die right out at high RPM. Mine is just stumbling...

Mike doesn't feel its coil related and he has a lot of wrenching and race tuning under his belt.

Again thanks for the ideas. Going to try and knock things off one at a time.

·
lover of twins
6,183 Posts
yeah, i was going to suggest coilpacks as well. sounds like the issue i was having with my 02 R6

i have a couple good coil packs still left, not sure if the 02 ones will work on your bike though. let me know if you want them and i'll give you a price.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
uharoon - thanks man, I borrowed and ECU from another member last night so hopefull that will work. I will be trying it out around 1:00pm today.

I notice you are in Fleetwood as am I. If you had some time and wanted me to take a quick look at your bike sometime I would be more than happy to. I know a couple of things that we can look at that may solve your problem.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys...

So the ECU made no difference whatsoever.

The bike pulls till 11000rpm then its as if it hits a rev limiter. In the last 2 days the bike has probably had a dozen pulls on the dyno all with the same result.

So far we have been able to negate:

ECU - swapped for differnet unit
TPS - cleaned and adjusted, and ran with it out of specs
MAP sensor - ran the bike without it
Power Commander - unhooked it and ran with it adjusted lean/rich

The next steps that I am going to try are:

1) Swap gas tank with fuel pump
2) Swap ignition coils

So if anyone is willing to lend me their gas tank or ignition coils... it would be amazing. Or even if someone could come with me to the shop with their bike and we can do the gas tank swap on site with you present. \

I know no one wants their bike or parts damaged and we will and have been taking the greastest of care. I just really want my bike to ride and part swapping is pretty much the only thing left we can do.

If anyone can help please msg me or call 604-219-2503

Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
check the resistance on the coils, I had a 05' R6 with the same sort of issue and the resistance on 2 coils was way out, changed them out, and good to go! Hope this helps.(got used coils at chop shop for cheap)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Resistance on the coils checks out okay... but!

There is some whitish/brown discoloring on the body of the #3 coil that would be consistant to what a spark plug electrode looks like. Its between the gap in the metal sleeve that wraps around the body of the coil.

The other 3 coils are black so I can only assume that would be the coil thats been plagueing my bike with issues.

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Had a similar problem

There is some whitish/brown discoloring on the body of the #3 coil that would be consistant to what a spark plug electrode looks like. Its between the gap in the metal sleeve that wraps around the body of the coil.

The other 3 coils are black so I can only assume that would be the coil thats been plagueing my bike with issues.

Wish me luck!
Hey dude PM me if you need a hand. I had a similar issue with the coil packs 2 blown coils. My bike sounded like a V Twin at idle and felt gutless. Make sure you measure the resistance with a DVM and know that at some times that isn't 100 % because a bad coil may be obvious only when the coil is hot. Anyways I have 2 coils that are tested ok for sale if you need them. I replaced all 4 while the bike was apart. New coils are a bugger to get as it takes 2 to 3 months from Japan unless you can sources them from a wrecker.

·
awful human
3,139 Posts

Wish me luck!
A little while ago the hard drive in my computer went tits up. When I was talking to the guy down at my local computer shop he asked me "When was the last time you looked at your power supply?". I went and got it, he cracked it open and said "See those capacitors with that whitish brown residue? There's your problem. The power supply isn't feeding consistent power to the MB and hard drive. That's why your hard drive packed it in."

A coil pack is basically a capacitor the same as in a computer power supply. I'd put money it's that coilpack that's giving you grief.

good luck and post up results,

:ghost

1 - 19 of 19 Posts