BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's how you commute home without baking your brains. a totally soaked, dripping wet, mesh jacket just barely lasted the 25 minutes it took to get here. waaaay too hot!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I rode out of Vancouver Saturday afternoon. It was hot but at least the traffic was light. Had to wash all my gear too.
Low 40s here today. I've never experienced heat like this.

·
backslider
11,330 Posts
too hot for me to ride in (anything over 30, unless one has to ride, is painful)!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Yesterday on my afternoon commute my fz1 minorly burned my inner thighs. Over the weekend I had favoured the drz for its lack of wind protection and allowing me to wear a motocross helmet which vents way better than my full face street helmet. I also have a evaporative vest that I use at work and for biking. Makes me a contradiction, high vis and a tshirt.

We all have to make our own call but in these temps here in the okanagan I squid it up and ride with minimal gear. I haven't missed a day of riding for commute or just pleasure(to the lake!) in a couple weeks now. I absolutely love this time of year where I can almost forget how to drive a four wheeled vehicle.

I hadn't considered soaking my helmet too. Good call.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I sat on my couch last night with my RevIt cooling gear on, and a fan blowing on me. Thats as close to riding as i'll be getting this week.

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,860 Posts
unseasonably hot here; and yet, elsewhere on the globe, reports of 'unseasonably cool'.
Hrm. Interesting. Almost as if the global climate patterns... are changing.
Perhaps some scientisty-types should look into this phenomenon to see if it's real, or just another gawd-damned hippie liberal hoax .

·
Been there, Wrecked that!
'21 Vulcan 900 Custom
2,235 Posts
Did the Salmo - Creston loop on Sunday with the oldman and it wasn't too bad for the first 2/3. We caught the 08:10 ferry from Balfour and I made it home to Nelson by 11:45 and by then it was stupidly hot!

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^^ very wise! early travel is fast travel...

·
Registered
721 Posts
Early is good and I know everyone is always vigilant because we have to be to survive on two wheels. But I've noticed with this upset weather conditions comes differences in animal movement throughout the day too. Two days ago I had a close call with a deer at 3:30 in the afternoon on hwy6 not when I'd expect a lot of animal movement but I'm guessing it was getting desperate for some water or trying to find a cooler area.

Normally I expect to see animals on my morning commute around six am but since the extreme heat has hit there's been a real lack of movement. I'm guessing their morning/watering cycle has moved to earlier hrs.

·
+ 39.9 km/h
1,530 Posts
I rode only 9kms on Monday in the city and my helmet that started out dry was soaking wet with sweat.
Not looking forward to this afternoon's start to my extended long weekend ride into 40° weather.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I don't find the smoke bothers me while riding. I work in a smokey environment and live without AC so I guess I don't worry about exposing myself to the smoke by being out and about. But yah the fires suck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts